Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Never-ever ending sinusitis symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Never-ever ending sinusitis symptoms

If anyone has any insight on my issue, it would be incredibly appreciated.  First let me explain that I have allergies, but that they're kept under control by antihistamines and nasal steroids, and really never bother me, aside from the fact that I'm often a bit congested (but rarely itchy or sneezy).  

Anyway, this leads to sinus infections 3-5 times a year for me, which is worrisome, as I hate resorting to antibiotics (which I never do until I've been experiencing symptoms for at least 2 weeks).  

Alright, so here's the present issue: Almost 3 months ago I got bad sinusitis.  I had headaches, yellow/green mucus, fatigue, and ear aches. I just let in linger for about 4 weeks, hoping it would go away on its own, but it didn't (contrary to what the media says these days).  Finally I got put on Biaxin for two weeks, which helped, but didn't take care of the painful ear aches and headaches.  I've been to two ENTs since then, and neither found any trace of ear infection or blocked eustachian tubes.  They said it was just congestion of the sinuses.  Well, I've taken decongestants, taken 5 days of oral steroids, constantly take nasal steroids, constantly take antihistamines, flush my sinuses with a salt water/baking soda mixture twice a day, and drink plenty of water.  Despite all this, the "congestion" remains.  Again, let me remind you, what the ENTs called "congestion," for me is simply headaches that are localized around, and sometimes in, both of my ears.  It is painful and has been going on for 3 months. What is the deal???  The only other thing I can think of doing is going to get an MRI to see if there's some problem the doctors haven't seen...
Friggy's sinus flush procedure may be of some assistance.  Other sinus flush procedures don't compare.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_profiles/show/166738

Good luck.
Yeah, dig. Thanks, elltkeen. There's a possibility that you have a fungal infection, which is very common in seemingly incurable sinusitis, according to the Mayo Clinic.  The lead doctor in the study, Dr. Jens Ponikau, patented the idea of a nasal anti-fungal spray, but he's still working on it.

In the meantime, the Sinus Flush worked against a 5 year problem similar to yours, which included a fungus, and against every other sinus infection or cold i've had since, and I have a long Celtic head with godawful sinuses.

It would probably be a good idea to get an MRI to look for polyps, deviated septums, or other defects.