Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Night Time Itchy Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Night Time Itchy Throat

Every night, literally a few minutes after I lay down to go to sleep, I develop this horrible itchy throat that always leads to coughing and gagging.  This sensation will last for about ten to fifteen minutes, which i will spend coughing, drinking water, blowing my nose, and trying desperately not to throw up.  Then it will fade to a more mild itch that I can sleep though.  I will feel fine all day, and then, consistently, this cough will rise up as I'm about to go to sleep.
This developed about two weeks ago in Hawaii.  To my dismay, the problem followed it home, which leads me to believe it can't be allergies.  Can anyone explain this?  It's dragged me out of bed every night, and it's starting to get really frustrating.
Please help:[
Tags: itch, throat, cough
I have a similiar cough except mine happens at anytime day or night  and it wakes me up at night. Recently a friend of mine sugested I try something called slippery Elm . Its a powder that dosen't taste great. I didn't take her advice  so she bought me some and insisted I try it . Well I was amaysed . It worked from the first day. I was a sceptic od herbal meds but this worked . Worth a try . The powder form is very cheap .
Do your pillows have feathers in them? Maybe you have developed an allergy to that? I know as I've gotten older I have developed allergies when I never had any growing up.  Also it's really important that the bedroom is kept as dust free as possible, as we spend aprox 8 hours a day breathing the air in just that one room.  And if the air is really dry in there, a humidifier would help.