Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Nose Bleed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Nose Bleed

I woke up this morning and I brushed my teeth and when I spit a bunch of blood came out.  This kept up off and on for a few hours.  The nose bleed didn't come out thru my nostrils, it went down the back of my throat.  I have had a small amount of bleeding off and on for a few years but not like this.  I suffer from hayfever and I have been taking benedryl at night the past 3 nights,  Anyone ever have this?
i have alergies (allergies) and i live in stockton ca the san juaquin valley its horrible. well anyways i would get nosebleeds everyday and some time after taking antihistamines like benadryl my nose would bleed. somtimes when were laying down or nose is stuffed up, the blood cant make it out the nose as fast as it can come down your throat. i would often bleed out my mouth when i got a nose bleed. if that happens again, if you get a nose bleed do not tilt your head back. tilt it forward or keep it level. and if wont stop bleeding. put some ice on the back of your neck to thickin the blood. nose bleeds occur when your blood is thin or you have agitated or tangled blood vessles in your nasal passages. some medicines can cause this too, for instance when a side effect causes your nose to dry up. if you want to fix this take some neosporin on a q-tip and graze it around inside your nose its safe. i hope this helped
Thanks so much for replying.  I guess I can't take benedryl or any antihitamine, it dries my sinuses terrible and makes my mouth dry.  I got scared cause I read with a nosebleed that goes down the throat and not the nostrils requires a hospital stay with the nose packed.  I don't want to do that!!  Where on the neck should I put the ice?  I am surprised I didn't get a nosebleed sooner with the way my sinuses are.  I think my blood must have been thin, didn't think of that.  You don't know how much your post put me at ease.  Thanks
put the ice pack on the back of your neck. and to stop the nose bleed wad up a tissue and just plug the nostril up and keep your head forward.