Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Nose cartilage pain when rubbing nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Nose cartilage pain when rubbing nose

The area between my nostrils hurts really bad when rubbing my nose.  It started about a week ago and hasn't gotten any worse, but hasn't gotten any better.  There is no obvious swelling or redness, and it doesn't hurt unless I rub or wipe my nose, but it definitely is not normal.  I am wondering how long I can wait to see if it goes away on its own or if I need to see a doctor soon.  Any advice?
Hi. Thanks for writing. I did go to the doctor. I'm in the UK btw.  My doctor just gave me a nasal cream to apply 3 times a day for a week, but nothing has changed yet.  I wish he would have given me some antibiotics as I'm pretty sure it is an infection, but I think they do things a little differently here. Curious what medicine your doctor prescribed?  I'd be interested to hear whether yours improves and if so, what helped.

Nasal vestibulitis might be causing you this nasal discomfort. There would be small follicles/pustules present in the nasal vestibule which is causing this discomfort. You can try local application of antibiotic cream (such as Neosporin ointment - if you are not allergic to it) and oral antibiotics targeted at the gram positive organisms (such as Augmentin) in the nose. Avoid frequent meddling of the nose.

Regards
OHNS2010

I have this same problem.  My lymph nodes are also swollen in my neck.  It's not in the nasal cavity, but where the nose cartilage connects to the bone, inside of the flesh.  It feels like I ran into a wall, or like someone punched me in the nose, but I had no nose trauma.   I'm pretty sure it's an infection on the inside, but not sure how to go about this...

I'm not congested at all, no viral symptoms, just a sore nose...
Update:  Went into the doctor and got some antibiotics (Bactracin or something like that...)  Anyway, after 24 hours, I felt lots better.  Pain is still there, but my lymph and fever went away.    It is a nose cartilage infection...   Doctor said 4 days was a long time to come in, so if you have the symptoms go in right away!   The antibiotic I am taking also can kill MRSA.