Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Nose pressure after smelling perfume + other symptoms.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

The issue I have is when I smell perfume my nose feels like it swells up and gets pressurized, and some sort of connection between the nose and my ears starts to get inflamed, all of a sudden the veins on the side of my head right around my temple area start to throb.

I've noticed I can't stand to smell perfume, cologne, soap or anything with a synthetic smell. On the contrary smelling food or flowers, anything natural does not bother me at all.

I also have a feeling of an irritation in my throat and if I lift my head up high it irritates my throat and makes me want to cough.

Could this be viral? Would it be sinus related? I've had allergy tests and they have come negative. I did have a surfing where my board hit me in the nose and cut the outside of my nose open, and now my left nostril sometimes closes all the way up and I can't breathe in and out of it. The left side is the side that got hit.

Most important, I've had allergy tests come negative and nose x-ray telling me my nose is fine. What can cause this nose pressure when smelling perfume that ends up irritating my nose, the eustachian tube is my guess? it also irritates my ear canal and side of my temples. It's very annoying and it seems so hard to find others with the same issue. It may sound weird but I've had this problem since September of 2009, this is when it started really bad, it's gotten better and I've figured out what triggers it, but this swelling on the side of my head and temples and throbbing becomes very very irritating and sometimes painful :(

Certain chemicals like Benzyl alcohol, Benzyl acetate, Alpha-Terpineol,etc present in cologne, perfumes, soaps, etc irritates the nasal mucosa. This stimulates the nasal mucosa to secrete excessive mucus causing nasal stuffiness and irritation in the ear because of eustachian tube block. As this is a non-allergic condition (termed as vasomotor rhinitis) antihistamines are of no use so you can try with nasal spray (containing steroids), saline nasal drops and nasal decongestants (such as Sudafed).

Regards
OHNS2010
Thanks for your answer it is much appreciated. I have tried nasal steroids, but it didn't do much. The only spray I've found that works is Afrin, and that only works temporarily while I use the spray, when it wears off I'm stuck again. I think I need an MRI or CT scan of the nasal area sinuses. I'm just wondering what causes all this.

I personally feel CT/MRI is of little help, because what you are having is more of vasomotor rhinitis. Avoid using Afrin spray for a long time as it causes rhinitis medicamentosa - a condition where in you will be feeling better while using the spray, when you use it for long and discontinue there is rebound congestion of the nose. Try with oral decongestants and steroid spray; avoid getting exposed to perfumes and cologne. Best is to visit your ENT specialist for further management.

Regards
OHNS2010