Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Not TMJ, no one knows??? HELP PLEASE!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Not TMJ, no one knows??? HELP PLEASE!

I have some kind of jaw problem where I got hit under my left cheek bone by someone's head as I was standing over them and they were coming up from the ground. XRAYS normal, no fractures. But when I open and close my mouth its not the same as before and if I hold my fingers on the side of my jaw where the jaw is hinged and opens beside of the ear, I can feel the left side has a little protruding round feeling bone sticking out farther than on the right side in the same spot. Had MRI's that did not show TMJ, or any dislocation of the discs. Seen a "specialist" that didn't say much except to do PT. I can't yawn as big as I used to, I can't sing the same, and when I open and close my mouth moves from side to side as it closes (moves slightly to the right first as I start to close, then it moves to the left (where was hit) as it closes completely. Had pain in lower jaw for a while afterwards. Months later... I yawned too big in the shower and I felt a pop/something didn't feel right in my left jaw. The next day I had a feeling of "water in my ear", it didn't feel right, which went on for a while, 2 weeks later went to ENT and got some steroids to take for a week when slight hearing loss left ear was discovered. 3 weeks later it was better and hearing normal again. The other night I started to talk and my left jaw did some kind of loud crunch noise and now my Maxillary sinus and left side of nose is sore and feels "Stuffy", and also my left cheek bone under my eye feels pressure sometimes, along with pressure in the left roof of my mouth... any suggestions?
Tags: TMJ, sinus, Pain, jaw pain, lower jaw pain, unable to yawn the same way
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Any small fractures should have been picked up by X rays or an MRI scan. There could be many possibilities for your symptoms. Considering your symptoms of point tenderness and pain on opening the mouth, your symptoms could be due to temporomandibular (TMJ) joint arthritis. This is the jaw joint and inflammation of this joint can cause pain on opening the mouth and tenderness on palpation in front of the ear. Your symptoms could also be due to maxillary sinusitis. The best diagnosis for this problem is a CT of the sinuses. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.