Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Occasional Vibrating in Ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Occasional Vibrating in Ear

Occasionally, I have ear vibrations in my left ear.  The vibrations occur periodically when certain sounds are emitted (i.e. kids screaming loudly, louder sounds).  I can also move my jaw/ear in such a way that it makes a "clicking sound" only in affected ear.  I can also press near my ear and it will make a similar sound.  The vibrations seems worse when I am in the pool too, although when this occurs, it does not seem to me that I have water in my ear.  I also have a fullness feeling in my ear when I move my jaw/ear.  It is very hard to describe.

I went to an ENT and she has said there is some hearing loss in the left ear.  I will be getting the "nerve test" tomorrow, but wanted to make sure I am covering all my bases.

The only doctor who looked in my ear was my primary physician, who said it looked normal.  The ENT never looked in my ear, she just did the testing.

Could this be a result of ear wax build-up or water blockage or an ear infection?  Is there anything else I should be asking or we need to look at?  I want to make sure we are covering everything  thoroughly.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide on this subject.

Mark
I had that same effect 6 weeks ago when I had a blocked Eustachian tube due to an infection.  The problem is called Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD) and the vibration is caused by uneven pressure on both sides of the eardrum.  I did have hearing loss, but it did return.  There's not much that doctors seem to be able to do with it, according to my internet research, but check the post above with the yoga technique by hava
The vibration only happened to me once not constantly. So if it happened to me once, what is that? Do i have to go to the doctors? It happened to me in the morning and i dont know what to do because you people said it was hearing lost and im only 13 yrs old. Can someone tell me what to do.