Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Odor from nose after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Odor from nose after surgery

I recently had Deviated septum fixed along with two turbinates removed. It has been two weeks since surgery. Seems to be healing fine except now i have a terrible odor coming from nose.I am continueing to use a sinse rinse.Occasionally throughtout the day i am having a green discharge from my nose very little.Does anybody know if a bad smell from nose two weeks after surgery is normal? Also do you know if night sweats are a part of the healing process?  
please talk to your surgeon you could have an infection
I agree with alchris. Call your surgeon, they may want to see you and do a culture on the drainage. Also, the faster you get more meds(if necessary) the quicker you will heal. Don't delay. Best wishes.
Colts, contact me at ***@****

i think your problem is more than just an infection did you say he removed your turbs which ones on both sides..just email me and we can discuss i had a partial resection of my inferior turbs and my life is hell..trust me your going to be for a long haul of battling and suffering with no cure in sight sorry to say...

ask your doctor about empty nose syndrome he'll look at you as if your a fool..

contact me if you'd like some info
email me i'm serious..i've been and done all that..it sucks
I had similar surgery several weeks ago but not as extensive, deviated septum repair and turbinate trimming.  I have a funny smell coming from my nose.  It is not a bad smell, sort of medicinal or minty.  It's more annoying than anything.  I did not start having it until after my two week examination and numbing spray was used.  Did you seek treatment for this condition?  If so, how are you now?
I had my turbinates trimmed by 50% and a septoplasty as well about 2 months ago. My bad smell started 5 days after the surgery when they removed the splints from my nose. The smell was so bad, people were complaining about it. I have to cover it by chewing gum all the time. It has continued to improve over the past 8 weeks. It is still not gone and after doing some research and learning about empty nose syndrome, I'm really worried this may become permanent. I encourage anyone that is going to have these surgeries, especially the turbinates reduced, talk about it with the doctors and weigh your options.
I had a turbunate reduction done 8 weeks ago along with a tonsillectomy.  I went to the ENT for the tonsills with no problems breathing.  She said my turbunates had to be reduced because my nose was 85% blocked (I feel so guilty for trusting a doctor who has been in practice for 22 years with no complaints).   I am struggling with a dry and burning nose.  I feel that my nose too wide open.  The bad smell and taste have gone away.  I wonder if I will heal.  I hope I don't have Empty Nose Syndrome.  I am trying to find support in Colorado.  Let me know if you know of anyone.
Please let me know if you recovered.  I need hope
Did you recover from your turbunate reduction?  I need hope.