Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Off Balance Feeling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Off Balance Feeling

For the past 4 weeks I have been feeling off balance and "spaced out".  I do not feel dizzy or lightheaded.  I had this same feeling about 6 months ago, saw my doctor and took sudafed at his recommendation.  Within 4 days I was better.  This time, however, I am still feeling constantly off balance and spaced out.  I have seen my doctor once and one of his colleagues.  Both did the quick nuerologic test in their offices (touch your finger to my nose and let me see you stand on one foot, etc.) and then said that it was probably labrynthitis.  I asked my doctor for an MRI (I fear Parkinson's, brain tumor, etc.) but he said my exam did not warrant an MRI.  Can Labrynthitis cause these types of symptoms to last 4 weeks?  And why do I feel spaced out???  Please help!
I am still suffering from the aforementioned.  Has anone else ever experienced labrynthitisfor 8 weeks?
Does not sound like labyrinthitis! That starts with acute dizziness.

You could still possibly have an inner ear problem.

Did you try Sudafed again--did it help? Did you ever do a trial of an anti-anxiety drug? Anxiety can cause these symptoms (but so can many other things).

What other treatment or referral have you been offered? If your regular doctor can't or won't help you, go see an otologist (ear specialist) and/or a neurologist.

Best of luck!
Nancy T.

This sounds like a problem I had a few years ago. I went in with the spacey feeling, off-balance - dr. checked my blood pressure and ears and diagnosed me with vertigo.  I took anti-vert and it helped with the dizzyness but didn't seem to make it 'go away'.  About 4 weeks after this diagnosis, I had to travel by air for work and my eardrum burst on our descent into my home airport.  VERY PAINFUL! I went back to same clinic (different doctor, of course) and come to find out I'd probably had an inner ear infection (not vertigo) and the pressure from flying had caused the drum to burst/bleed.  Antibiotics, pain meds and grounded for 3 weeks to let it heal.  If the sudafed worked, then you might have an inner ear infection - go back to the dr. or an ENT  and save yourself the misery.  
I hope you feel better really soon!!
Becky