Ear, Nose & Throat Community
One enlarged tonsil and ct scan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

One enlarged tonsil and ct scan

I have had an enlarged tonsil for a few years now.  I have been to the ENT and had a scope done on two different occasions, with both times having nothing present, and not have any associated pain just awareness of asymmetry .  About three months ago I started to notice more pain in the tonsil area.  Some white spots (not strep), which upon research I found out are tonsil stones (or I assume they are)(no bad breath or picking at, as I found some people do).  In addition I have noticed some twinges in the neck area, difficulty swallowing and sometimes towards the end of the day my tongue feels a bit swollen and it hurts to talk.  I am a 32 year old woman, an ex smoker (smoked 10 years, 1/2 pack a day), social drinker 2 to 4 a month, with a family history of throat cancer.  My mother's mother and mother's brother both died of throat cancer.  This is my third time to the ENT, nervous of the family history and now with present persistent pain.  They performed a scope with nothing present, but noting the larger tonsil.  I went in yesterday for the CT scan.  I am really scared.  It's no fun walking around thinking you have cancer.  I keep feeling like I am having shortness of breath, and the symptoms seem more present.  I want to believe everything is going to be okay, but the constant tonsil and throat pain is a reminder.  Any support for me please?  Has anyone been through this and everything was okay.  Just a tonsillectomy and they over invented the other symptoms?
Results are back.  They found something in my tonsil.  Going to have them removed.  I talk to the Dr on Thursday and find out what kind of mass.  This is the final suggestion on the CT scan:
asymmetry in the transparency of the oropharynx secondary to a prominent left tonsil.  inflammatory or neoplastc coindition may be considered.
The radiologist does not mention a mass or size.  Does that mean it is too small?
Any help?
sorry for the previous post...
hey, I have developed a similar condition, one tonsil is enlarged with a cyst on it. all the ENT's say that, they wouldn't worry, and they attribute it to the recurrent tonsil infections I have always had since childhood. Also I was a smoker for around 3 years, left it few weeks ago. Also I don't have any difficulty in swallowing. How was your tonsil operation
how was your tonsillectomy ? i got the same symptoms as you had. I chew tobacco since last 10 years. your support will help me to reduce my anxiety.