Ear, Nose & Throat Community
One side sore throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

One side sore throat

I have a sore throat, only on the left side of my throat. The tonsil is swollen but there is no discoloration or spotting.

I frequently get these one-sided sore throats. Why is this? Any advice?
PS- I have no other cold symptoms
I have the same thing! Also on the left side.  I am going to get tested for strep today, but I know it's going to come out negative because I know what strep feels like, and this isn't it.  It's so weird.  No other symptoms, it only hurts when I swallow, and only on the left side.  I come from a medical family and usually throat pain is your body's response to fighting off an infection, bacteria, or a virus. Don't rule out infection if you don't have a fever. Some infections are accompanied by fever, some are not. I do not have a fever, but since the pain is isolated to one side, the problem may be swelling in the left lymph system...which is an indication of infection.  No matter what your doctor tests you for, insist on a round of antibiotics.  Tell him you've been feverish if you have to.  The antibiotics will not hurt you if you don't have an infection. Just make sure you take ALL OF THEM.  Don't stop taking them if you aren't feeling any better. If, after you have taken the antibiotics, you are still in pain, then the problem is viral (in which case there is nothing you can do but rest and drink liquids) or local (meaning you have a physical injury, tumor, cyst, or something like that).  Whatever it is, don't be scared.  If it gets worse, then your doctor will be able to pin down the problem.  If it gets better, then YAY!  But start off with those antibiotics! Good luck.