Ear, Nose & Throat Community
One tonsil grew back?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

One tonsil grew back?

I am 31 years old.  I had my tonils removed when I was 10.  About 5 months ago, I had a horrible sore throat, and decided to look down my throat to see if it was red.  I don't recall ever looking down my throat before, so I have no clue what it looked lke before.  Anyway, when I looked I saw a round/oval shaped lump on the left side where tonsils should be.  I went to our family doctor and she said I didn't have an infection or anything, and when I asked about the lump, she said it was a tonsil and that they can grow back.  She did not see concerned.

Now, five months later, I am still obsessing over this and have searched all over the internet for anything similar.  Unfortunately I don't know if it just showed up or has been there for years.  It looks so strange, because I don;t have a tonsil on the other side, so I don't even know if this "lump" is large or not?!  I am always paranoid about cancer, and tend to fear the worst possible scenerio all the time, so I am constantly swallowing and thinking have myself convinced that I can feel the lump when I swallow....could that be possible?  There is no lump that I can feel on my neck.  

I can't find to much information on the odds of my one tonsil growing back, and pictures of what "normal" is, because having just one makes it look that much bigger, and I have no idea what it feels like to have tonsils, so I may be makng myself believe I can feel it..if that makes sense.  Without having any other symptoms and my GP not concerned, to make me feel that much better is there anyone who has heard or seen this before????
-6 Comments Post a Comment
I had the same thing happen today.  I was scared to death because I had a growth where my left tonsil used to be (I had my tonsils out when I was 33).

I also have a lump in my neck which my primary thought was a lymp node its been there for 6 months....I was worried.  

Today I went to a ENT and he does not seemed worried.  He said its my tonsil that has grown back.  He is putting me on steroids and want to see me in 10 days.  I feel much better...but he said...I am not sending you on your way, you need to come back for a follow up....

I will keep you posted.
Tonsils vary greatly in size between individuals. Some people have tonsils the size of small marbles at the back of their throat and others have tiny little buds there. It doesn't really matter what size your tonsil is now that it has grown back as long as it isn't getting in the way of swallowing, causing you pain, or growing rapidly. You may be feeling your uvula when you swallow rather than your tonsil, which should be out of the way at the side there.
Tonsil removal is not an exact science and often a little tonsular tissue can be left behind after surgery which can indeed grow back.
My daughter has monster tonsils which look to me like they almost join up with the uvula in the middle but she doesn't feel them when swallowing because they have been huge all her life. The doctor said they are normal sized(!!) when I asked, but mine are tiny so they look all the larger to me. I guess what I'm saying is that normal is in the eye of the beholder and if your GP is happy with your tonsil then you can be reassured.
I had my tonsils out when I was ten....now, I am eighty, and I just noticed the same thing...a pencil-eraser diameter lump, (not very tall.)....dark red, or purple, where my right tonsil used to be. My GP didn't seem too concerned, my throat isn't sore, and no swollen glands. He sent me to an ENT...didn't go yet.  You have made me feel better.