Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ongoing sinusitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ongoing sinusitis

I've been on and off antibiotics for a sinus infection since September. I'm still miserable. I've been through 6 rounds now. The most recent I was on an antibiotic and predispose for 10 days. That's when I saw an ENT and she wanted to put me on something while we waited for insurance to approve a CT scan. Well, the prednisone did make me very irritable and all, but it did help a lot. My nose was constantly running. A lot came out. I'd be using literally 5 tissues. It just kept coming, but that's good. The problem now is that I'm done the medicine and the swelling in my sinuses is back and my ears (especially my right) hurts again and now my right eye does, and just general pressure on the whole right side. My vision is a bit messed up and I'm just miserable. Since that ENT was more allergies, when I had the CT scan she made me an appt with an ENT specialist in the same office. That appointment is for Monday, but I'm miserable. The scan results in a nutshell the nurse told me over the phone that there is a blockage and a lot of fluid build up and it's a good possibility that ill need surgery. I haven't missed a day of school all year only dismissals for appointments and my road test. Now, I've been sent home sick 3 times for this. It makes me very dizzy etc. I have terrible post nasal drip. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I can do for relief until Monday afternoon when I see the doctor. I'm having a very hard time in school (I'm 17, a junior in high school) but I haven't had any absences this year (I used to have a lot of medical issues and missed A LOT of school) so it's very important to me that I don't start now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Surgery may work for you, they stick an endoscope up your nose, force open the nasal passages, and suck the infected mucus out, hoping to get all of it.

Or you can try this:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.

I'd recommend kneeling if you are experiencing dizziness.  It takes several days of flushing to open up the passages to the upper sinuses before you can actually flush out the infected mucus.

However, if the blockage is physical, such as cyst or polyp, you may need surgery.