Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Oral

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Oral

I'm a 31 year old male and about 5 months ago I noticed 2 bump on the side at the very back of my tongue which can only been seen if I stick it out really far, I went to the doctors because I also had a whiteish or yellow patch on the top of my tongue which they thought was due to gerd (acid reflux) they also mentioned mild thrush and put my on Medican for both (the nystatin did nothing for oral thrush) so they concluded it was acid reflux. Since all this I still have the same 2 bumps which are bigger on one side than the other. They have not changed in size or cause any pain and are the same colour as my tongue no white or red spots or ulcers around them I also get a horse voice when I get acid reflux attack which is the worst at night sometimes I wake up choking. My question is could this all be because of acid reflux or could it be oral cancer or is they bumps normal for that area? I'm going to the doctors again soon to get pills for gerd, I also just got tested for life insurance and my blood and urine test came back clear and they even have my a lower rate. It really does not look like anything I have seen on the Internet for oral cancer but I'm still worried.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Are the white patches persisting? White patches are common in many throat  infections. It could also occur due to trauma, chemical injury. It could also be Leukoplakia, which is a condition where patches of keratosis appear as adherent white patches on the mucous membranes of the oral cavity and throat. It is a potentially pre-cancerous disease of the mouth and throat. A biopsy may help to diagnose this condition. The cause of leukoplakia is unknown, but tobacco, whether smoked, dipped or chewed, is considered to be the main culprit in its development. Treatment is with laser or cryotherapy. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time. And if you smoke, quit smoking.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for your response. I don't think it is Leukoplakia as it is not hard in any way and it reduces if I rub it or have something like a Popsicle but will always come back it looks almost hair like on the very back of my tongue on the dorsal surface(not lateral border) which food debris get caught in or is irrated due to the acid reflux, I was more concerned with the 2 bumps which the are larger on the one side they a both soft to touch and are painless and same colour as tongue( can only notice the by looking not really by touch even though they are large pimple size) I went to the doctors today and he said it was not a concern but he could not get the best took as a have a bad gag reflex and he out me on tecta for my reflux and going for a x ray of my small intestine to test for Gerd and told my to stop looking at my tongue as it just make me parinioid. I also have to go to the dentist in the next couple of months so if its not better by then I can get a second opinion then unless I notice a dramatic change I will go sooner

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You don't have to worry about the bumps, as they could just be cysts. And cysts are quite common in the oral cavity and they do need any there. If there is swelling redness or pain, then you have to worry about them being infected and they may need therapy then. So, take care and consult your doctor if they persist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.