Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Orange Yellow Mucous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Orange Yellow Mucous

I have had a strong flu/cold that started about 2-3 weeks ago. The first few days, I had a fever, chills and also a very sore throat, but deep in my throat (felt like in the trachea) and not in the tonsil/back of mouth area.

This then turned into a heavy cough and runny nose that has lasted the remainder of the 2-3 weeks.

I was treated with an antibiotic but this did not help much. The doctor said it was probably viral.

As of 2 days ago, I started discharging A LOT of mucus from my nose and it is ORANGE/YELLOW in color. It looks like egg yolk. Sometimes even amber in color. It comes out in large amounts (tablespoons) and then stops for a while.

I have been drinking a lot of orange juice. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Is this normal?