Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Orange tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Orange tongue

I've had a cough and a lot of phlem for about 2 weeks.  The couging has subsided, but there's still phelm in my throat. Yesterday I noticed that my tongue was coated in an yellowy/orange color!!  I scraped it, and brushed it, but to no avail.  Is this a common ailment?  Anybody???  Thanks.
Tags: cough, swollen
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Were you or had you recently taken Lunesta.  It is a sleep aid medicine that has had some users complaining of this side effect.  Go to www.medicalnewstoday.com/youropinions and read some of the posted comments.  I too am suffering with this annoying condition.  I scrape, brush and gargle with Biotene.  This regimen helps for about 3 to 4 hours but it always returns.  I took Lunesta for a couple of times but not 2 nights in a row.  Thats the only common thread I can see.  Hope this helps.
I have had an orange tongue since October. Initially my doctor thought it was a fungal infection, however the symptoms did not subside after being treated with an anti-fungal medication. Then I was sent to an Ear, Nose, Throat Specialist. He did not have any answers either. He suggested that I use a tongue scraper and he prescribed an antimicrobial rinse. He said it's just something that I have to learn to live with.
I still have an orange tongue though. It's been frustrating trying to figure out the cause of this ailment. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have noticed my orange tongue for about 3-4 weeks now...I had a recent operation...I was given anesthesia, as well as antibiotics....Im not sure if taht has anything to do with it...but the starnge color seems to have appeared the day after my operation.....
I have had chronic bacterial infections in my sinuses, tonsels and throat for the past two months and have been on many rounds of antibiotics, my infections are gone but I was left with a strong deep cough and now phlegm and swelling in my throat.  No doctors have been able to tell me what it could be, my ear nose throat specialist said it was most likely acid reflux disease, but I don't buy that.  Now about three days ago I noticed my tongue is dry and bright orange, like a pumpkin, I think my tongue is detoxing things, it started when I started taking wellness formula and oregano oil.  I have stopped the oregano oil since it must be killing off the natural flora.  I don't know what to do.
Learn to live with it, eh?  Great advice.  I've had an orange tongue now for a week.  I brush most of it off before going to bed - I gag if I go back too far - and it's actually not too bad when I wake up.  But by the time I get home from work my tongue is almost completely orange again.  I've also had a sore throat since I noticed it.  My diet has not changed nor has any medication that I take.  Not sure if I need to go to the doctor or a dentist.    
I too suffer this 'orange tongue' and have done for over 7 months, doctor tested for Vit deficency nothing came up, he gave me Vit.B12 to try, nothing has happened, I cannot brush it as it also makes me gag, and doesn't remove anything, I gargle, and I drink much fluid, water and juices to try to ease the sensation, of tingling and burning I get from it, the only peace I get is when I'm sleeping,  I have been on Calcuim for osteoprosis for a few years now, but until 7 months ago nothing happened, I'm going back to another doctor on the panel next week, in the hope that she may have some differant ideas.  It is an awful thing to 'have to put up with' I also have ulcers on the back of my tongue and roof of my mouth, this cannot be normal.
My tongue has had an orange coating for two months. I can brush a lot of it off, but it comes back.  It was mostly gone for 10 days, but recently came back.  My tongue is somewhat sore also and  I have a swollen lingual tonsil (according to my dentist) which is the tonsil on the back of your tongue, not the typical tonsil people think of.  The doctor gave me oral anti-fungals which did nothing. It burns and the tip hurts a little.

I went to the ENT who said "What's the problem?"  I told him and he kept saying, "What else. What else."  Then he felt in my mouth VERY roughly, kind of quickly felt for swollen lymph nodes, although not AT ALL thoroughly.  He felt my tongue, then sprayed something up my nose without even telling me what it was, it was numbing stuff so he could stick a camera up there down to my throat. He did that, said everything looked fine and that was it.  He said if my doc told me I had an oral fungus, then that's what it was, period!  And when I mentioned the swollen lingual tonsil, which I can feel against my throat and pallet, he said it looked fine. I told him my dentist said it was swollen, he said it must be from the oral fungus I had.  That was it, he was done.
I have recently noticed that my tongue has an orange coating too.  I'm a 32 year old male and I've had Reiter's Syndrome (a type of arthritis) since I was about 13.

I've never noticed this coloration on my tongue before, and it's started to concern me.  I've taken many different types of medication over the years to treat inflamation (inflammation) and other symptoms of my arthritis.  I had my right hip replaced with titanium about 4 years ago, but I don't think the surgery or any other medications I took through the surgery and recovery have anything to do with my tongue at this late stage.

I've continued the same medication (Indomethicin) for at least 6 years now, so I don't think that's the cause either.

I drink a lot of coffee and tea, and I was thinking that might be the cause; however, I've always drank a lot of coffee, so it doesn't seem plausible to me.

I have been suffering from undue amounts of stress as of late, so that could be a factor.

Also, I live in San Diego, CA and along with many other people living in my area I've been breathing smoky air (from the recent wildfires) that has been, and may still be, heavy in toxins.  The county has warned of poor air quality, but I don't really know what may be in the air that could cause me to have an orange tongue.  I haven't asked if others around me have the same condition.  Many people have complained of headaches and other possible symptoms caused by breathing noxious fumes.

Maybe I've suffered some chemical inbalance as a result of breathing the dirty air...

I have an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow about some other things, but I'll ask about my tongue as well.
I noticed this symptom about 3 weeks ago.  I'm a 25 year old female, non-smoker, who is dying to figure out what this is all about?!  The only change I've made to my diet is my vitamins, and I have stopped drinking coffee and soda but it is still there!

Any new developments or ideas for the cause?
Hi all,

I've noticed the orange-tongue simptons few days ago. I'm 25 years old and my diet has worsen in last months. Five months ago I started taking B1-6-12 vitamin for three months. I don't smoke and don't drink coffee either. But during last weeks I've taking green tea after lunchs. Could this be the reason? I fear to have an bacterial or fungus inefction
Good to know other people are experiencing this "orange tongue' thing.  I called my doctor and he said he had never heard of such a thing and didn't seem too worried.  I am paranoid that I have stinky breath as a result.  My husband says I don't but my 2 and 4 year are forever telling me "Mommy, your breath stinks!"  Has any one else experienced bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth with this disorder?
Hey, I've seen this situation on my tongue too. They are two weeks now. First I thought it was because I had drunk some orange Gatorade, but it wasn´t. When I brush it goes away but soon it comes back! I'm getting desperate and I hope my ENTdoc can tell me something about it!
Hey,
I  have had orange tongue for a week now, I was quite worried. Some one here thought it could be a result of drinking green tea, I have been drinking green tea for years so that couldnt be the cause of my orange tongue. I also get paranoid that mt breathe smells, but I think its just my imagination...
Im just trying to figure out maybe its something what i eat, i eat lots of garlic, vegs and also chocolate lol
my baby has a constant bright orange tongue but noone seems to know what it is. has anyone been given an answer as to a likely cause yet?
I also have an orange tongue that appeared after taking predinsone and azithromycin.  I brush it off when I brush my teeth but it keeps coming back.  It was real dark when it first appeared but I noticed it is getting lighter so hopefully it will disappear altogether.  I thought it was an after affect of the medication.  
Same thing here. I have an Orange tongue and can't seem to think about any changes in my diet or lifestyle in general. I recently picked up some anti-bacterial mouthwash and a tongue scraper in the hopes that this helps. Has anyone on this forum had theirs go away? If so, any words of wisdom?
Can't believe there are so many instances of orange tongue.  Kind of relieved it's not just me.  I have taken prednisone and azithromycin in the past and never got orange tongue.  Mine just showed up 3 days ago and I thought it was something I ate.  The only thing different in my diet is I changed brands on 2 teas I've been drinking for years and started drinking Dan Active yogurt.  Don't think that's the cause.  No one else on this forum can pin point anything in their diet either.
Tried the brushing and rinsing with peroxide, no luck.
Sorry no words of wisdom.
Anyone else having any luck?
I've had orange tongue for about 4 months since I had an operation to have my wisdom tooth pulled. I was anesthetized and given a 5-day course of erythromycin subsequently. I'm fairly positive it has something to do with the antibiotics I was administered. I brush off just about all of the orange on my tongue each night, and it's fine the morning after. But by the end of the day, it's completely orange again. It seems to be worse some days and better others, and I think there may be some foods that affect the extent of the orange-ness.
I just noticed my orange tongue a few days ago and like everyone else, it brushes away and then comes back again. I work in a hospital in the dietary department and was sick a week ago and took some orange cough medicine. But i also seemed to have a stomach bug. My poo has been an orangy yellow color lately and im a bit concerned about it. I feel like ive ingested too much orange...beta carateine perhaps? I had done some research on genetically modified foods recently and it seems that beta carateine has been put into foods like rice to help with peoples eyesight. It is also present in corn which i one of americas number one genetically modified crops. And its is present in orange foods and certain leafy greens. And every american knows how much corn syrup and corn products are in our grocery stores. I love rice. But i feel like ive been having migraines lately...a lot of headaches and dizzy spells and blurred vision. Im an artist, so i know my eyesight is or used to be great. Could this be a reverse side effect of ingesting too much beta carotene? I cant think of anything else...does anyone think this could be a possibilty? Thanks.
It is so interesting to read so many orange tongue cases.  I am a dentist and have never seen this condition before.  Yesterday one of my assistants came to me completely concerned about her "orange tongue".  Exactely the same as many of the previous entries in this forum.  The orange color develops toward the end of the day, she will scrape it off, it wont be there in the morning, but as the day wears on, it comes back.  She has had it for about two weeks now and is very concerned.  She had her lower wisdom teeth taken out two months ago and the extraction sites have healed normally.  The only medication that she has been on for seven months duration is Minocycline for acne.  Her diet has not changed dramatically since the onset of the orange discoloration on the tongue.  I have heard of people eating a lot of beta carotene and having that cause orange palms of the hands and souls of the feet, but not on the tongue.  And she doesn't eat a lot of foods that contain beta carotene.  This is quite perplexing.   Thank you for all of your insight
I have had an orange tongue  for the last month.  I thought it had to with the antibiotic (tetracycline) I was taking. But I called the pharmacy and the pharmacist said that it wasn't a side affect.  So I went searching on the internet a little more and found that someone suggested that is could be due to mouth rinses, especially ones with chlorhexidine (Peridex; Periostat) in them.  I went and looked at mine but it did not have that ingredient.  However,  my orange tongue did start about the time that I started to use a "whitening" mouth rinse made by Listerine.  I am going to stop using my mouth rise and I'll let everyone know if the orange on my tongue disappears.
I noticed my orange tongue 2 days ago.  I do not take antibiotics, etc...I have been using whitening toothpaste for about 3 weeks.  I have been eating baby carrots for snack for a couple of days last week.  I have chronic yeast in my ears.  I had a root canal in December and was just prepped for my crown this month (March '08) on a back molar. I am not in any pain or discomfort from my orange tongue, but I seem to be very parched in the morning when I wake (this is when I have noticed the orange tongue). I thought maybe diabetis.  I will check my sugars this weekend.  I hope this information helps some of us figure out what is causing the "orange tongue".
I am 28 (F) and developed all the same symptoms towards the end of an illness last year that fried my immune system (prob Glandular Fever). My GP was stumped, as was my dentist - the 'colour' was swabbed and tested and nothing, I was treated for a fungal infection and nothing - I would make it bleed to scrape the colour off. At one point I cut out all coloured food from my diet for a couple of days (water and pasta! no vits..) and it still happened so isn't colouring or caffeine. I had tests for my cortisol levels, which were too high (they thought they might be too low??) but the specialist thought that was still unrelated. I ended up with an occassional bad taste at the back of my throat. It started around Feb, and after about 5 months (!!) it suddenly stopped. Drs and dentists had no idea, and I didn't have time to see an ENT before it stopped. Now, 6 months later, it has suddenly started again! I am so upset about it. I have a slight cold/ sore throat and the horrid taste is back. It's also very dark orange. If anyone can firgure this out or has any suggestions, please please post!! I can't face another 6 months of carrying around a tongue scraper and making my mouth bleed! It makes me way to self conscious :(
PS. i also suffer from gastritis - not sure if that is relevent?? i don't really get reflux, but i have read that can cause probs with your tongue
I've been waking up with a sore throat for the past few days. I've been running a humidifier at night thinking it's because of the dry air. Throughout the day my throat is still a little sore and dry, but not as bad as when I first wake up. I find myself drinking alot of water and consequently needing to use the bathroom more frequently.

Three days ago I noticed my tongue was orange (maybe orange/green?). I've never seen something like that before! I tend to get nervous easily, so it's been bothering me!

I've emailed my doctor to see what he thinks. After reading everyone's posts, the only thing I can think of is that I started using my girlfriend's toothpaste, which is one of those baking soda w/peroxide kinds (that taste a little salty). I'll stop using that toothpaste and see if it makes a difference.

Oh also, while I don't feel that stressed, I'm getting married in a few weeks, so there is that life change coming up!
this is such a relief to find people with the same symptoms as me!  i've been dealing with this off and on for over a year now.  ive been to the er countless times but to no avail.  the first few times i got it, i was prescribed ceftin (antibiotic) and it cleared it up right away, but it always comes back so what difference does it make!  my doctors wont prescribe it anymore because ill build up an immunity eventually.  nobody knows what it is, my ent is completely stumped.  ive tried eliminating everything from my diet, nothing works.  this is so frustrating.  i even had my tonsils removed because my doctor thought they might have something to do with it, but it came back immediately.  what a waste.  if anyone has any help, please post.  i cant take it anymore.
Wow.. this is such a relief to find this page and discover that there are a lot of others dealing with this Orange Tongue condition..  I also have had this orange Tongue for the past few months. I think it started around the time I had tonsillitis and I had to take a lot of antibiotics to get rid of it..  Then I had what seemed to be an ear infection.. but the doctor said it wasn't anything bacterial..  I drink a lot of Orange colored teas and coffees and I thought it was the cause..    Long story short is that I've had this orange Tongue for a while and think it may be Candida Yeast infection.. but can't get a definite answer for it..  I am taking this product called "Candistroy" its a probiotic (acidophilus) and another tablet to help kill off the bad yeasts..  You can go to their website http://www.*****.com/
and click on "Candistroy" for more info.. maybe it will help.... Let's hope.. I still haven't tried the anti fungal mouth rinse ..  I was also afraid because Candia is a known condition brought on by HIV.. so I am getting tested for that too..    My friend is also having a major problem with Candida yeast in his body.. and he's told me to watch my diet and stop eating sugars and foods with Yeasts like bread. These are the foods that the Candida live on..  Oh well, I hope this information helps everyone.. Maybe we'll actually find something that gets rid of this soon...
Same kinda thing here. Orange/yellow tongue, occassional bad taste in my mouth towards the end of the day. I can scrape of most of the stuff without much discomfort, but it always comes back. Prior to this occuring, I was diagnosed with a kidney infection. Was given levaquin IV, but had a bad reaction to it. Was place on Bactrim for 10 days. Was feeling better, then two days later developed a fever of 103. Went to my Dr. who re-diagnosed my illness as prostatitis. Put me on Cipro for 14 days. 5 days in to the course of Cipro, I was feeling great. At day 10 my stomach started acting up and appetite was greatly diminished. At day 12, I developed an incredibly sore tongue and soft palate. The soreness later spread to the throat. I stopped taking the Cipro. Had a very hard time swallowing liquids or food. Returned to the doctor. This time it was thought to be a fungal infection. Fluconazole tabs and Nystatin swish and swallow for 7 days. Tongue coloration developed two days after the mouth soreness. Soreness is gone, but tongue coloration persists. Been taking the anti-fungal meds for four days...
Common thread seems to be related to antibiotics.
Are there fungal cultures that can put a name to this tongue over growth?
Are Fluconazole and Nystatin wide spectrum enough to kill any oral fungal infection?
I've noticed that i have an orange tongue too, i first noticed it over a month ago now, im an 18 year old male and have just found out i have gilbert syndrome, this is a lack of an enzyme in my liver  that doesnt get rid of bilirubin which is then spread into the blood stream, the symptoms are yellowing to the eyes and can get to the skin. i only have a little in my eyes and the syndrome is only mild, now im starting to wonder if the orange tongue is because of this or i have developed something else. i scrape and brush my tongue twice a day and its getting annoying now, ill be seeing the doctor about this tomorrow and i shall post what he has to say to me about this.
I too suffer from the strange orange tongue.It is so weird that so many people are going through the same thing yet no doctors really know what it is.
Who can afford to trouble shoot when you are uninsured with children.
I just know that there has to be more commonalities here than meets the eye.So please if anybody has gotten more info. or thinks of something else that may be related post it. I plan to do as much research as I can from home. I will let you all know if I come up with anything.
Thanks for the input so far.
It seems almost all of us were recently on antiobiotics and in Chinese medicine they call it damp heat when you tongue changes colors to yellowish or orangish and say it is an imbalance in the intestines/digetstive areas. I also have the orange tongue. Looks like I ate dark yellow or orange candy and it brushes off but comes right back. I am going for bloodowork as I have read it can be liver related too.
If anyone gets results of this, let us know!
I have just noticed that i too have started seeing orange on my tongue. I just noticed it this afternoon and it seems to scrub off easily enough. i have had a sore throat for a week and the past 2 days it has been extremely bad. i lost my voice yesterday and i'm still having trouble talking. I have had no changes in my diet other than excessive use of advil over the past 2 days (bad i know but my throat has been killing me and i have to work:P) so now im going to stop with advil and see if that solves the problem. Oh, and oddly enough, my father was telling me about the same thing about a month ago so i'll have to look into that and see if he ever found a solution. thanks for any advice in advance. all the comments are much appreciated.
Also i have not been on ANY medication at all in several months so i don't think it can be directly related to that. thanks again.
I had a throat infection, was given penecillin (cephalexin) to no avail. After being on this for a week and my throat getting worse, my doctor switched me to a 'cycline' (Doxycycline Hyclate) and about four days into the prescription I developed the "Orange coated tongue". I use a tongue scraper daily (for years now) and never had this before. My tonge has returned to normal (white, sometimes a trace yellow).
What I HAVE changed drastically is my diet, I am suffering from acid reflux so bad that I have been eating very little and lots of yoghurt. I see my physician on monday and I will let him know of this.
I have recently developed an orange tongue. No antibiotics but has followed an operation with anaesthetic and a period of time with a cold/sore throat. From my dowsing i think it is a natural byproduct of bacteria that are out of balance, just as colour of the mucus can vary according to an imbalance of bacteria when having a cold. Perhaps rather than us all taking cultures of bacteria for our intestines we should be taking cultures of healthy ENT staph aureus bacteria! I will be trying colloidal silver spray 2xday for 5 days and see if fixes.
Richard

The first time my tongue turned orange, I had a horrible sore throat, called in to work and immediatley went to the Dr.  He told me that I had the coxsackie virus, as there were "blisters" on the back of my throat as well.  He gave me steriods for the pain, and my orange tongue went away.  In January, my tongue turned orange again and my throat was sore, but there were no blisters.  There's no cure for coxsackie and it's lays dormant in the body, and it tends to come back during times of stress.  
This page is a relief to find, I've had this orange tongue for about a week now and it still hasn't gone away. But it is scary to hear how long most you have had it, that it comes and goes as it pleases, and that in so far doctors don't know anything about and don't seem really care to take it seriously. I'm a 22 yr old male, I smoke and thought it might have been related. The only real life style change I've done recently was change tooth brushes, I got one of those with a tongue scraper on the back. Well, I though cleaning my tongue in the morning and then smoking 10 cigarettes through out the day might have been the cause somehow. But I also generally eat on the go and so I eat a lot of processed food, and I didn't know if anyone had a stable, healthy diet and still had this condition.
Same symptoms and worried.

I'm 43 ry old male, been totaly healthy, no smoking, meds, no surgery, good diet etc.  Recently came down with a sore dry throat.  Last two days I noticed my tongue has an orange color on sides towards back.  Only other symptoms are sore throat, maybe slight fever. I've monitored my diet, I know its not diet or food coloring.

Could someone please post thier diagnosis if they get one
Well, I too have just admitted I have an orange tongue...for months now.  I wondered what it was and didn't even ask the doctor when I went for my physical because I just thought it was a passing condition.  Well it isn't.  I am healthy and eat health.  Don't smoke, drink much and eat healthy.  I am going to try the candida approach as I did the candida diet before with great success.  I will also revisit my naturopathic doctor.  I reccomend that everyone who has had antibiotic get a high quality probiotic and take it every day...even double dose it.  I take BioK brand in the little bottles...it in little bottles and is expensive but well worth it.  Many people have candida and do not even realize it ...the symptoms are many and often people don't show symptoms that others do.  Even if you do not practice the candida diet, cut back sugars and take a probiotic.  Good luck everyone.
A possible answer? (How I got rid of my orange tongue)

(Nexus06, though I didn't get it direct diagnosis, I hope this helps)

I'm overwhelmed reading this. I searched for two years trying to find out about my orange tongue (while getting sicker and sicker).

For what it's worth, I found a pertinent article published in 2004 by the Univ of California, San Diego School of Medicine. It seems to me to be a logical answer for the orange color and why it seems to have only shown up in the last few years.

They discovered a single gene in a bacteria that controls two factors that act as a "sword" and a "shield" to protect the bacteria from our immune system. It apparently "shields" itself by being able to use the antioxidant properties of carotenoids (giving it the orange pigment) "to protect itself against our immune system". Very interesting article: http://www.****.com

How I got rid of my orange tongue? I was really sick, getting sicker and on Levaquin--on 4-6 wks, off 4-6 wks. I noticed that for me, the orange tongue correlated with how sick I felt (mind you I do/did have other complicating factors not necessarily relevant to the orange tongue theory so I'll spare you).

Long story short- I found a doctor who finally treated me for Lymes with Doxycycline and I low and behold, I got better and consequently--no more orange tongue (it's been a year since treatment).

The orange, I believe to likely have been from one of one of the bacteria I had contracted from a tick bite. As I grew more and more ill, my skin under tones also changed to orangish/copper like color (enough to have had to change the colors of my makeup). After treatment, my skin color also went back to normal.

Let me be clear. I'm not saying the orange has to do with Lymes. Tick bites frequently transmit more than one type bacteria.

I don't know if the prevalent orange tongues are related to that bacteria or not. And because my story is complex, who knows. I just was sick long enough and bad enough to notice the interesting correlation's. I think it is a possible theory. Maybe now that I've put the theory 'out there', some research will come up about it.
I too have the Orange Tongue Syndrome. I am a Tang.
For several months now.
Lets try to find commonalities.
Nothing I have read in these posts are common to me, except the orange tongue. not anti-b's, not coffee, not smoking, not surgery.
So lets eliminate some other things.
Posibily geographic, or ethnic, or ?
I'll start.
I am a 54 year old white male living in Arizona my entire life, who can't spell very well.
O.K. next!
I forgot something very important.

I live in (Phoenix) Arizona. A major metropolis. The air is not as bad as L.A., but it's getting close.

Also, I began drinking Rockstar energy drinks, (16-32ozs a day) which correlates closely with the onset of my O-Tang Syndrome.

I got so addicted to the rockstar that I have not been able to lay off long enough to see if it is the culprit!

Anybody else live in a big dirty city? or drink Rockstar or other energy drink?

"bornjorno"
I moved to China about a year ago; started noticing the orange tongue 7 months ago.
Symptoms are like everybody else--prevalent in the evening, gone after brushing, back the next day. It feels very dry and I'm constantly thirsty.
Good health, fair diet, some exercise; no obvious reason for the orange tongue.
As it seems that western medicine doesn't have the answer, I'm debating  to try a Chinese doctor...who knows? If it works I'll let y'all know.
I live about an hour east  of LA (plenty of smog and chem trails). I've been orange tongue free for about a year now after dealing with it for a couple years (I posted how I got rid of my orange tongue May 21, 08).
Though I got rid of my orange tongue, I'm still interested to see if there is a definitive answer since I acquired mine about the same time this thread started.
I noticed my orange tongue about a month ago after being sick with a sore throat and cough for about 3-4 weeks. No more sore throat but the orange tongue still remains. Same as everyone else, I can brush most of it off but it always returns. I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Pretty clean air.
I seem to have gotten rid of my orange tongue that I had for weeks. Same symptoms as above (i.e. comes off w/ brushing but comes right back, seems to get worse during the day, bad aftertaste after eating certain foods, specifically those with lots of sugar like soda).

Solution:
This seems to be a bacterial or fungal infestation, so I brushed my teeth and tongue, scrubbing pretty well. Then I put my toothbrush in a glass of Listerine (happened to be Cool Mint) to soak,  and began swishing with Listerine in my mouth and then sat down at the computer to see if I could find out what the hell the orange coating was. I eventually came across this forum, and after having the Listerine in my mouth for about 20 minutes, spit it out. I followed up with regular 30 second Listerine rinses for the next couple days then stopped using it and haven't seen any sign of the coating since (it has been just over a week). Hope this helps.
I too suffered from the dreaded orange tongue. I had surgery 4 weeks ago. I then developed an infection and was put on anti biotics. After a week the infection cleared but the orange tongue developed. I tried Nilstat an anti fungal rinse. Didn't work. It could be brushed off but by the end of the day the bad taste was back and the orange tongue. It seemed to be made worse by eating and drinking. I saw my naturopath yesterday. He thinks it may be caused by a build up of toxins in the liver caused by the anaesthetic and anti biotics. He made a herbal remedy containing St Marys Thistle, Barberry & Licorice. After 1 day i have noticed a huge improvement. Hardly any orange on my tongue and awful taste has disappeared. Fingers crossed this will work!! So far so good. Will let you know how things are in a week.
I noticed my orange tongue about 10 days ago.  I suffered from a bout of diverticulitis 2 weeks ago and was put on 2 antibiotics.  I thought it was a side effect of the meds, but I have been off them for a week and still the crazy orange tongue remains.  I had some blood work done last week for a routine physical and the only weird reading was a high level of creatin - which may be an indication of decreased kidney function according to the doc.  
I just noticed about 5-6 days ago that my 2 year old son has an orange coating on his tongue.  At first I thought it was from some juice or food or something he ate, but it has not gone away.  He has not had any surgery or antibiotics lately, but was sick with a fever around the time that I noticed this begin.  He has had some vomiting and diarrhea also, but very mild, not severe at all and the vomiting has just happened a couple of times when he was choking on some food.  We were in Orlando at the time on vacation, but live in Des Moines, Iowa and are home now.  I don't think air quality is the problem. He is very small for his age and does not eat the best, so I was concerned this may be related to a vitamin deficiency or dietary problem. This does not seem to be the case based on the posts I have read here.  It does seem that a lot of people noticed this around the time they were ill, or had surgery, or other circumstances where the immune system has been under stress.  My son is acting very happy and not seeming like it is bothering him in the least right now.
I am a 36 year old from England and I was very pleased to find this forum. I have very similar problems. I was on penicillin for a sore throat and 3 days after the meds finished I got another sore throat, this time really dry then I noticed my tongue was orange. It has been going on for a week and a half and I always feel dry and I have a lot of phlegm all day and the tongue colour goes up and down but always orange. From the posts it looks mostly like it must be to do with being on meds. We don't have many forest fires or the city pollution problems here! so I don't think it is that. I am worried tht it might be an indication of more so i will probably try my doc or dentist - maybe they have different ideas over here!
Hi there. Just writing because my 7 month old also has an orange tongue. He got it a few day ago, after having had a very mild case of bronchitis. Not sure if it is related. We live in the Bay Area and have had bad air quality due to fires the last couple of weeks. Not sure if it is related. I took him to the doctor & she said she saw another patient last week with the same thing - the first time in 20 years. Weird....hope this helps. If you find anymore out, would love to know.
hey guys - i too have 'orange tongue'!  I've had it for a few weeks now, i'm not entirely sure about the order but these are some things that have changed in the past few weeks (within the last month):  Started taking Chantix (smoking cessation drug), quit smoking, changed toothpaste (from Colgate maxfresh to Crest pro health) and toothbrush (generic to generic), added biotene to my h2o2 regimen, took vitamins for a few days, took generic unisom for a few nights, and i think that's it.  My ot goes away after brushing for the most part - but i've noticed for a while ( a little bit longer than the ot) that I also have 'split tongue' where my tongue looks as if it has 'split' by being pulled or something in several areas of my tongue, mayhaps my toothbrush is too harsh since i've been brushing my tongue so much (I've brushed my tongue for probably 5 years, just to cut down on bad breath).

let me know if anyone has it go away or comes up with anything!!!
oh yeah, i'm 25 and when i quit smoking, the week before hand i developed a sinus and chest cold (my docs always say there's nothing wrong with me even when i have strep throat, and so i never go to them, i'm in the process of finding a new one) which could have been a contributing factor...
I also have the OT. I read all of the above and worked on different possible solutions. I found an old bottle of Gly-oxide that I used last year. I tried it for about 4 days now. I applied it to tongue and allowed saliva to mix with it and swooshed it around about 3 minutes, spit it out and then used sturdy piece of plastic to scrape the tongue. I have done this twice a day and what a difference.

I'm gong to do this about 1 week and see if it totally removes it and that it doesn't return.

I'll keep you informed if you like.

Thanks, Tia
Im a 27 yr old male living in nyc and i have the orange tongue as well.  I noticed it about a week ago and it scared the **** out of me. I can't believe how orange it is. Like the rest of  you I scrape it off and it just comes right back in a few hrs.  I get sick alot, not sure why but i always end up with colds, or strep throat. I even go tthe flu in march. Sometimes i wonder if I have allergies or sinus infections cuz i always get upper respiratory infections where i lose my voice.  And even what i consider full blown sick, i still get a slight sore throat, sore tongue etc once in while with an overall crappy feeling.  

As for the orange tongue, i drink alot of coffee. 2 cups a day religiously, but more often than not 3.  And i never ever miss a cup. cuz im that addicted to caffeine. I work weird hrs and dont get much sleep a few days a week. My diet is half healthy half ****, so i doubt its that cuz there are people who eat all **** all the time. I recently went to an ENT to ask why i keep getting sick, and they tested me for Acid reflux which i have a slight case of. They put me on prilosec. Could Prilosec be causing this?  I was also wondering if the orange im seeing is stomache acid on my tongue.  The only other knew thigns ive been doing are that ive been using crest mouthwash. I used listerine for yrs and only started usiong crest a month ago.  I recently had a ton of mosquito bites, and i walked through a field with long grass and weeds with shorts on. it was in queens, ny so i guess i wasnt thinking ticks could be in there but i wonder if there was. Somebody mentioned lyme disease before. Anybody relate to my symptoms?
Did u say crest pro health toothpaste?????  I recently just switched from listerine mouthwash to crest pro health mouthwash! We may have solved this. Is there some chemical in crest pro health products that isnt in other dental products?
I noticed my orange tongue about a week ago.  It went away and then came back just today.  It scared the **** out of me.  I already always think I have some crazy diseases anyways, I don't need this orange tongue thing scaring the **** out of me too.  I have no idea what it is, but I have acid reflux and have taken Prilocec/Nexium products for about 3 years now.  I wonder if this could be the cause or if the cause of my acid reflux could be the culpret.  I while ago I had a bout of strange fevers off and on for like a year or so about every 2-3 months....fever for like 3-4 days and nothing else really.  About 3 weeks ago I had a really bad sore throat and a huge ulcer in the back of my throat.  I am beginning to think that this is gastro or immune system related.  Let me know any thoughts.

I have had an orange tongue several months.  I checked the web and found that it might be related to infection in the organs or body somewhere.  Since I couldn't get into the doctor's office right away, I decided to flush out my system.  I started drinking about a quarter cup of vinager and a half a cup of cranberry juice twice a day.  It seemed to reduce the orange in my tongue.  I finally made it to the doctor's office and after he ran several tests and took a urine sample, he found that I had a urineary tract infection.  I think orange tongue is the bodies way of purging infections in our body and fortunately for us, this might be a great indicator of possible infection inside our body.  
Try drinking vinager and cranberry juice.  It helped reduce orange tongue.  See your doctor, you may have an infection somewhere in your body!
I am a 19 year old male and I have been experiencing this orange tongue for about 3 months now. I noticed the orange tongue start to happen when I started using a whitening toothpaste.
A couple of days ago I changed to a baking soda-peroxide toothpaste, and it has completely made it go away, no more orange tongue, no more stinky breath. I haven't made any other changes to my diet either.

Try it, maybe that can help
I have had this OT thing about two-three weeks.  Kind of ignored it thinking it would go away on its own....no luck.  I am a healthy 26 year old male, Abilene, Texas. I drink coffee and started taking B-vitamin complex (liquid sublingual) supplement about 1 month ago.  No medications.  My beta-carotene intake is high but no higher than before the OT.  I did have a slightly sore throat and some phlem that has persisted for about a week, but has never been too bothering.  I think the OT was there before.  

Anyway, I just tried the 15 minute listerine rinse.  We will see if that works.  
I have suffered from the OT for about 1 year now.  I have seen my DDS and Dr and I still don't have any answers.  I was drinking a lot of carrot juice for awhile and cut that out of my diet.  I have also switched toothpaste and mouthwashes in the last few months but nothing has worked.

My DDS and Dr tell me not to worry about it since I am not in any pain.  I haven't even noticed any bad breath but it is just weird having an OT.

If anybody has any succsess please share.  In the mean time I am going to have to tell people that I have been eating skittles or something if they ask why my tongue is orange.  
I have had an orange tongue for about 5 days now. I have been having pain / inflammation in my mouth and especially my tongue. My tongue gets quite painful; usually worse in the afternoon. Also, for the last month both ears have been plugged - reducing hearing. My doctor said I had an ear infection, but I took a round of antibiotics and it did not go away. I'm going to a hearing center today for tympanogram test. Doctor also gave me Nystatin for oral thrush. I've been taking the Nystatin for about a week, four times a day, and two days ago the OT developed. I'm thinking it's a reaction to the Nystatin or detoxing. Mouth and sore tongue is a bit better but not entirely gone. I'll keep you posted.
I know for a fact that in my case this was caused by an antibiotic.  I have had this for a week now.  The week before I came down with cellulitus in my ankle from a bug bit infection when I was visiting the Philippines.  I was given antibiotics which cleared up the cellulitus but upon ceasing them the OT appeared.  I have never taken antibiotics before and my entire diet is organic and free of artificial chemical additives, preservatives, etc.  I am now regretting allowing the Dr to talk me into the antibiotics as I could have relieved the cellulitus problem with rest and elevation of the leg.  My conclusion is that the antibiotic led to a suppression of some form of bacteria that then had a growth explosion when the antibiotic was out of my system.  I will not go to a DR to ask about this.  

One more thing:  there are 8 months worth of posts here and only one person has followed up to let us know how the symptom has fared or how they have been cured.  Very frustrating.  All complaints, no solutions.

Jeff
I've had an orange tongue and sore throat for a couple weeks and I thought I was the only one going through this.  It is very embarassing and my kids kept asking me why my tongue was orange.  I am so glad I found this site because a couple of people on this site have mentioned they had switched from Listerine mouth wash to Crest Pro-Health mouth wash, well so did I, and that is when the orange tongue and sore throat began.  That seems to be at least one common thread people have.  I am going to stop using the Crest Mouthwash and switch back to Listerine.  I will let you know if this works.
hi all I to have just discovered the dreaded O/T, i live in milton keynes in england. I have recently had a chest/sinus infection for the last 2 months - lots of sinus pain and some serious coughing up of yucky stuff, my doc gave me antibiotics co-amoxycill or something simillar which was useless then followed up with a course of doxycycline which it seems have helped cos although still bringing up phlegm the cough isn't killing me anymore (somtetimes cough so hard i was retching). finished course yesterday and today i have o/t??? conected??? I also suffer from heartburn regularly and sometimes wake up a little confused (no laughing) im 32 drink coffee smoke a little weed occasionally am relatively stress free. i'll try and update this if i find out more.

maybe we're all connected and destined to become some sort of orange tongue super freaks, we should all unite and the world will be ours hahahahahahahahaha...........ha
I recently discovered that mine is orange as well. I several antibiotics about 2 weeks, and also became a vegetarian a week before that. I don't know if it was the change in diet or the antibiotics, but my tongue is now orange!

Today I was inspecting it and noticed the roof of my mouth is also orange. Does anyone else have that?
I noticed I had an orange tongue after starting crest pro health mouth wash mint flavor
Thanx everybody for all your posts!  They have all been really insightful.  I developed an orange tongue last week and it was about the time that I started using mouthwash.  I saw a post that suggested a certain component in mouthwash may contribute to the colour change......however, since I live in Japan now but can't read Japanese, I don't know what components are in my brand of mouthwash.  I guess I'll stop using it and see if it helps.  I'll let you know.
Just an update to say that my 2 year old son still has the orange tongue (started in June).  And also a reminder to say that he was not on any antibiotics. And being 2 he does not use mouthwash or whitening toothpastes.  
I've had orange tongue for about 2 weeks since I came down with Mono... was on medrol, and then prednisone (to step up the dosage). Meanwhile, I was put on preventative penicillin to keep strep away.

Could it be the ABs reduced natural throat bacteria to such low levels that now, one is dominating (maybe because it grew back quickest) the tongue? Since it can be scraped off, and comes back daily, we have to assume it's a growing culture of SOMETHING...

And does anyone else notice that some things taste differently with the orange tongue?
My 3-year old girl and myself both have OT - hers is worse than mine.  i think the build-up and colour is enhanced by sugary foods and this is why its worse at the end of the day than at the start.  Will talk to some others that might to be able to help and get back :)
i also think it has something to do with a chest infection
Ok ... so I HAD an orange tongue for probably over a year.  I was living in New York at the time (westchester county) and had been on antibiotics for lyme.  Don't remember when it first started but asked several doctors/dentists about it.  Nobody knew what it was.  What I can tell you is that when I moved, my orange tongue went away - and I was still on the antibiotics.  Call me crazy but I wonder if I should have had my water tested while I was in NY.  We had TERRIBLE water even though all the water reports put out by the county suggested the water was fine.  Now I'm not so sure and wonder if the reports were mis-represented or falsified.  You MAY want to have your water tested by an independent testing lab.  Sounds pretty funky but it may just be something in your well/town water. ??? Just a thought for you.  
Well my OT started when I had Bronchitis and was put on the prescription of Doxicycline and Prednsione. I took the meds and it did away with my cough for a week or so. My cough came back and I went back to the Doctor and was prescribed Mary's Mouthwash and Amoxicillin. $300 later (no benefits) I still have a terible cough, phlegm and a bright Orange Tongue just in time for halloween!!! Tomorrow I am headed to the Veterans Affairs clinic and am gonna try and figure this all out for $6 instead of $300 well see what happens. I am hoping its nothing serious I have throw around every idea know to man on what this could be, my guess is the prednisone killed all the bacteria and the bad bacteria grew back faster then the good bacteria???. Well see what happens
I posted back in May about how I got rid of my OT. I had finally gotten treatment for Lymes dz which was with Doxyciline. It's been a year and a half and still no orange tongue. This could be consistant with nyminnow who was being treated for Lymes when the OT went away. I see that "tanner1985" had Doxicycline, however,  "tanner1985"'s orange tongue appears to not have started until on Amoxicillin and Mary's Mouthwash.

You know, considering all the posts, it does indeed seem to be some kind of bacteria. There is a newer strain of strep bacteria has "learned" some self-preservation techniques--one of which is the unique ability to use "antioxidant properties of the GBS ORANGE pigment".

The name of the article is "STREP BACTERIA USES A SWORD AND SHIELD TO WIN BATTLE"
Published in: SCIENCE DAILY
Source: University Of California, San Diego School Of Medicine
Date: September 23, 2004
The name of the senior author of the study is Victor Nizet, M.D, associate professor, UCSD Division of Infections Diseases, and an attending physician at Children's Hospital San Diego.

Remember that even if some have gotten rid of it methods other than antibiotics, it could still have been a bacteria. Healthy saliva kills alot of **** and it could be that something it toothpastes or whatnot changes the flora or PH enough to make it difficult for the body to kill certain bacteria.

I'll be interested to see what you all think. By the way, although I had such a bad case of it, at that time I did need antibiotics, if I got an orange tongue today, I'd definitely go with quality brand essential oils- i.e. peppermint, cinnamon, cloves, which are anti-bacterial and only kill off the bad bacteria. I've discovered how useful they can be since my last post. It's worth looking into.
I have had an orange tongue for about 20 months.  A lot of things were going on when I first noticed the orange tongue.  I had just gotten on a new osteoporosis medication, I was taking ranitidine for acid reflux, and I was taking two multivitamins a day because I was dieting and eating only about 1200 calories a day.  I had been using Crest white strips for several weeks

The week before I noticed the organge tongue, I had been outside of the U.S. on a job interview, where I ate sushi twice.

A few days after I noticed the orange tongue, I developed an extremely sore throat, but a strep test turned out negative.  My throat got sorer, I got sicker, and I ended up in the hospital with terrible head pain which was eventually diagnosed as "status migraine."  

Over time, the darkness of the orange color has lightened, and some days I don't really notice it, but I still see it occasionally.  I thought it had disappeared by the beginning of last summer, but I went to China and got very sick there and took some unknown Chinese medicine.  I've seen the orange color in my tongue again, but it's light compared to what it was when it first started.  

I've asked doctors and dentists, and they don't seem to have a clue.  

My overall health is very good now with occasional migraines that seem to be related to not enough sleep and low blood sugar and a missed dose of caffeine (my morning or noon tea or Coke).  

In my research at one point I did come across something that related orange tongue to vitamin toxicity - I think it was vitamin A.  I was taking a lot of vitamins when I first noticed the orange.  Some research has also shown a link between selenium toxicity and orange tongue.

I just don't worry about it anymore.  I'm not on any meds, vitamins, painkillers or anything at all anymore.  I walk almost an hour a day and try to eat fairly healthy.  I feel very well now.  I do occasionally change toothpaste and do try whitening toothpastes from time to time, and I am wondering if whitestrips or whitening toothpastes have something to do with the orange tongue.
I have OT same as most others.  I live in Aliso Viejo, Orange County, California.  The first time I noticed it, my tongue was more black than orange and it was a couple days after a doctor visit.  I have been using Crest toothpaste.  I had/have a persistent intestine problem leading to diarhea (diarrhea) initially, but that has lessened over several weeks.  The intestine problem started upon my return from Mexico City.  I haven't been taking any antibiotics.

After reading the above, I am going to switch toothpastes and try the 20 minute mouthwashing.  I hope others will share if they find a solution!
Well all you will never believe this. I found out what cause my 3 month respiratory infection, orange tongue and countless crappy days. I never brushed my teeth when I was a child and have about 10 fillings in the back of my mouth. Those fillings were all placed about 10 years ago. I had mercury poisoning due to all my loose fillings yay!!!! Who would have thought.
For the past two weeks or so, I've been taking iron supplements, but I've been having this problem even before I started taking the pills. I only notice it when I brush my teeth late at night after not brushing it since morning. At first I thought it was just something I ate, but it's been happening even when I don't eat before I brush my teeth.

After reading all these comments, my problem doesn't seem like a big deal. But should I still see my doctor anyway?
I am a 36 year old white male living in Phoenix, AZ (hello neighbor bornjorno!) Anyway, I also suffer from this symptom. A little background - I am a law student, but currently work in a pharmacy at a local hospital. My sister is a pharmacist. I get to talk to doctors for free all the time. My wife also works at a hospital. So I have some connections, but am no specialist by any means. After carefully reviewing all of our similarities and considering my own, then talking to those I know may have some insight, here is what I have devised:
The "orange tounge" syndrome is a bacterial infection, most likely stemming from a lowered immune system from illness or pre-existing medical conditions. The most common of these is the new strain of strep. My entire family suffered from this strain. This particular strain does not have the typical symptoms we are familiar with. It can look like the common cold, a respiratory infection, a typical sore throat, or in my case, not produce ANY symptoms at all. When you are diagnosed with such an infection, you are placed on antibiotics. Antibiotics are the cure-all, right? Wrong. Although it may get rid of the predominant bug you have, it opens doors for others. For instance, if you get put on Z-pak (azythromycin), you commonly contract a yeast infection (yes, men can get these too, although the symptoms effect women much harder.) Some antibiotics may also knock out the OT bacteria, such as Doxycycline, but I don't know. I will have to look into it. Some mouthwashes, especially antifungal/antibacterial when used frequently may be enough to kill it. The question is: is it restricted to the portion of the tounge visible in the mouth, or is it all the way down the throat, where the nouthwash can't get to, thus allowing re-occurances and continual throat and respiratory infections? I don't know. Anyone who has had lasting results from anything, please leave me a note so I can research what you did.
Till next time,
Orange toungers of the world, unite!
I feel like I'm in an AA meeting. :)

I've had the orange tongue for a month or so. I also had it a year ago.

There appears to be two reasons for an orange tongue

First: Nearly everyone reports having a sore throat/cold symptoms prior to the orange tongue and blkbat's post sounds correct summarizing. A cold opens the door for other infections. According to WebMD antibiotics actually can help yeast infections grow and if your immune system is already taxed a yeast infection can grow in your mouth.

****SECOND & NOT PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED: Are you eating too many carrots? I think my most recent bout is caused by drinking too much V8. I drink 16 ozs a day. If you're body doesn't break it down right then over time it will build up and the orange on your tongue is the excess there. I will try not drinking it for a week and post what happens. (I'm putting it on my calendar to remind myself)
Wow ... loved your comments.  Thanks for being so diligent in your research with the medical staff.  I am pretty certain that you may have something with the strep infection (sword & shield) thing.  While I was on the doxycycline for lyme, I contracted the orange tongue thing and it continued for quite some time.  I am no longer a "victim" but have found out since my move to NC that someone in my family is a carrier of strep (perhaps me?).  Two of my children have come down with step infections on their hands after swimming in our pool - looks like burn blisters on their palms.  At first the doctors thought that I had changed laundry or something and were insistent that it was a dermatitis thing.  I further pursued it with a dermatologist and she knew IMMEDIATELY what it was - STREP!! So the kids were put on antibiotics.  I have been tested (after the strep tests were positive for my kids) and my tests came back clean.  I wonder if the tests don't pick up this type of strep?????  I have never had strep in my life but have suffered with mild sore throats my entire life.  Hmmm .... Let me know what the docs can tell you ... I would love to know more.  If I am not mistaken, untreated strep can cause some serious problems.  Thanks for any feedback!
Here's my week updated (see I told you I would actually update!)

I forgot to mention previously that my doctor was the one who told me it was from too much beta carotene.

I have cut V8 and my multivitamin out of my diet for the time being. Also, I swished listerine for 20 minutes the first day and then 30 seconds every day thereafter.

The RESULTS: My orange tongue is not completely gone yet, but it has significantly gotten better. Was it the listerine, maybe, was it beat carotene, don't know yet.
Wow I guess I'm not the only one with Orange Tongue. I had a lymph node infection, swollen lymph nodes all over the body and was put on antibacterial medicine. The bacteria has been rid of but there are still ulcers in the back of the mouth. I have since then stopped taking the medication, but the orange tongue seems to still be there. I will try the listerine method that other people are trying, hope it works!
Well everybody, I cured mine as far as I can tell.
First of all, I doubt that it is a fungal infection. I used Nystatin Oral Suspension 4x daily with no results. This should have worked unless the fungus is resistant - if that's the case, the bioresearchers should be jumping on this asap.
If this was bacterial, the regular Listerine wash should have made more of a difference. In fact it should have taken care of the symptoms within a few uses. Tried the tongue scrubbing and Listerine mouthwash 3x daily - but it just kept it repressed as much as possible. I still recommend this, just for good oral hygiene purposes.
You are all like "Shut up and tell us what you did!" right? Okay. I brushed my tongue with hydrogen peroxide - brushing with an electric brush and dipping it in the peroxide several times. Your tongue will foam up quick, so you have to spit and re-dip the brush. Be sure to get as far back as you can. You will probably have to muscle through the gag reflex. DO NOT SWALLOW IT! That's not a good thing. If you want to clean your insides, I suggest a bran muffin :) I used this technique 2x within a couple of days. I have not had a reoccurrence within the last 2 weeks since using this technique. Your tongue will be white from the process for a few days, but better white than orange. Also, have some Listerine ready. Hydrogen peroxide tastes pretty bad. Spit and rinse with mouthwash right away.
Anyway, I have continued to try to research this phenomenon, but no one seems to know what it is. I put a call in to a couple of ENT docs at several hospitals, but they either didn't know about it, or didn't call me back yet.
Good luck everyone. I'll check in soon, especially if it comes back.
Wow....I'm not alone!?  I was starting to feel like I might be losing my mind.  Thank heavens for this thread.  

After reading all the posts in this thread, I can share with everyone common symptoms/occurances that I've experienced:

- I first noticed my "Orange Tongue" after a really bad case of strep throat.  I noticed the discoloured tongue after I had finished a round of anti-biotics.  

- almost EVERY DAY I observe the same pattern.  I get up (no orange to be seen), I go to work and have lunch around 12PM (after eating I still see no signs of orange...if I do they are very faint), I get home around 7:30-8:00PM and presto...attack of the orange tongue.  I'll brush my teeth and tongue before I go to bed.  This clears my tongue of all noticeable orange.  I'll noticed that it does temporarily stain my tooth brush orange and when I spit into the sink after brushing, I'll definitely see some orange.  I wake up to a normal looking tongue and the cycle repeats.

- I do notice that, when using a tongue scraper, a good deal of debris and thick looking saliva comes off my tongue...but I've noticed that for years.

- some days are worse than others.  There have been days where there is very little evidence of the orange tongue at all....but these days, I'm afraid, are a rare thing indeed.

- there is no pain associated with this condition, except for the occasional taste bud getting irritated from constant scraping.

I've brought this up with my Doc, but whenever I see him, it's early enough in the day that the tongue looks "normal".  Very frustrating.

Hopefully we can get more updates like that of blkbat's in order to solve this issue as best we can ourselves.  My faith in the medical communities ability to solve this is not high.

Oh, I almost forgot...when I first noticed the OT, it was after a bout of strep throat back in the summer.  It's interesting to note, that I just got over another round of strep a couple weeks ago....this makes me feel like there is indeed a connection between Orange Tongue and Strep as previously suggested by mulitple posters....
I've had orange tongue for months and when i asked the ENT about it he was like 100% confident it was nothing and told me that some people just have larger than normal tinly little hair like thing on their tongue so it shows the color more.  I told him i never had orange tongue before though. And his response was "well i'll take a swab off ur tongue and send it to the lab just for your peace of mind"  i got a call a few days later and he said there was nothign abnormal in the culture.

So who knows this is a freakin mystery.  I think it has somethin to do with overuse of antibiotics for sure. I took so many damm courses of antibiotics in the poast 4 or 5 years. I've had strep about 3 or 4 times in the past 4 years, along with lots of colds/sinus infections whatver they might be, that always end up in my chest and I get laryngiits every single time. So i go to a Dr. and he always prescribes some sort fo antibiotcs. I would bet money that has made get sickewr more often since bacteria become reisistnent to antibiotics. My mornign  breath is also horrid.  I mean everyoine has mornign breath and i always did myself, but gheesh mine stinks up the room.  

I recently order dual action cleanse which is a colon cleanser.  Im trying a 30 day coruse of these pills to see if maybe its internal or something.
How I made the OT go away:

I never post to these things but thank all of you for posting so as I we can see common trends and I tried the fix a couple of you suggested and here is what I did based on a few comments from others. Also, it has been 3+ weeks since and no return of the OT.  Hope this helps if you had the same thing I had...

Background Before getting the OT:
It happened after I took antibiotics for 2 weeks starting on 10/25/08 thru 11/7/09 for a tooth infection.  3 days after finishing the antibiotics on 11/10/08 I began to feel sick. The next day I had the flu or cold or whatever and remained for 2 weeks before I mostly better, but I STILL have symptoms.  I have sore throat, itch throat and lots of coughing, lost my voice and still have issues with my voice, watering eyes, runny noise, dry throat and fever for several days.  I took lots of cough drops (24 hours a day), the zinc swab that you put in your nose to shorten the cold, several times NyQuil, cough medicine, 1 night of cough medicine with codeine and 5 different times took Vicodin at night to suppress the cough which has old Vicodin I had from several years ago from a tooth infection as well.

OT:
After all the above was done - that is the 2 or so weeks was done, I was still sick but didn't need the any medicine or cold drops I started back on my multi-vitamin which is chewable and is Orange.  The next day I had an OT and thought it was just the Orange from the vitamin and ignored it even though this never happened in the past with the same vitamins.  3 days later and it was worse and I found this site.

WHAT I DID:
I saw that at least two of you mentioned that the tongue cleaner wasn't enough and so you use the tooth brush and also that you "nuked" it which mouth wash. So, I did basically the same:
1) Brushed and flossed as normal
2) Scrapped tongue and wasn't enough so,
3) Brushed tongue (a different brush) back and forth and side to side for a long time and kept at it until all the orange was gone. It had a super coat on it - nasty...
4) Use Crest non-alcoholic Mouth wash for 5 minutes in mouth and rinsed.
5) Used Scope for 5 minutes in mouth (yes - it burns!)
6) Rinsed really well many times with water

It has been 3 plus weeks and it never did come back! I did the above only that one day.  I have returned to just flossing, brushing teeth and tongue scraper (not using the brush for tongue)

The trend I saw was that many of us had:
1) Cold / Flu
2) Antibiotics
3) An some as I do still have lingering symptoms.

I still am not a 100% - mostly dry throat (yes - I use a humidifier) which now a month later is starting to get better a little each day and voice still a little weak.  I have another appointment which an ENT in January to look at the throat for this.  Also in my research believe it might be possible I have acid reflux, but the ENT will be able to help decide that.  I mention just in case this helps as everyone tries to see patterns and solutions.

I personally believe my OT might have been a case of inbalance from the antibiotics combined with the cold/flu that I still over 3 weeks now still have no OT.  I also started eating different yogurts to help restore some balance (I hope). I will also mention that I am 43 (Male) and after the antibiotics I now have acme on my forehead and occasionally on my face, but seems to be getting less (did not have before antibiotics). The antibiotics really did a number on me, but it killed the tooth infection too, so it did it's job.  The lesson is, don't take antibiotics unless you really need them (Most of the time, DO not take with flu or cold - it only seems to work because if you hadn't taken the antibiotics and waited the week or 2  that you would have been taking the antibiotics, you would have been better as well.  Cold and flu just has to run it's course!)

I hope this helps and that the rest of you have a good Christmas or Happy Holidays!

WB
Hello, fellow orange-tongued people! I am so glad I found this discussion.

About me:  25 y/o female, and just noticed my OT last week.  Got my tonsils taken out about 2 weeks ago.  As far as I know, I was completely healthy before that.  I don't smoke, don't drink, drink mostly water, and eat somewhat healthy.  I rarely get sick.  

Anyway, after my surgery I WAS NOT prescribed antibiotics.  I was a little concerned about that, so I questioned a nurse days later.  I was told it was common for them to not give antibiotics anymore to take home, but usually they give one in your IV.  I have no idea if they did put one in mine or not because I was never told otherwise.  I had been assuming I was going to get a prescription; therefore, I didn't know to question the IV thing at the time of surgery.

Obviously, I have been having a very sore throat and a lot of pain from getting my tonsils out.  However, going on 2 weeks my throat is still very sore and my tongue is very orange.  Also, I have been noticing a dry mouth/tongue, and a sore, swollen tongue.  A few nights ago, my tongue was so dry and orange that it had cracks in it.  My tongue looked like it was coming apart and it looked like I had been eating massive amounts of cheetos.   At first, I thought all of my symptoms were because of the healing process of surgery and not being able to eat and drink as usual.  Maybe I was dehydrated?  I do notice it gets more orange as the day goes on.

I saw my ENT yesterday for follow up on my surgery.  When he first looked into my mouth at the tonsil site, he said everything looked fine and told me that I should be all better by Christmas.  He didn't say anything about my OT.  So, I asked him about it.  He told me he had noticed it, but he thought I had been eating orange candy!  I told him I had not, then he asked what I had been eating.  I told him I was pretty sure it was nothing that I had been eating.    

To make a long story short, he didn't seem to know anything about it.  He did mention that I may have an imbalance of bacteria or fungi due to not eating as much.  He told me to get plenty of fluids and try to eat more.  He seemed to think the scrubbing action of eating food should make the OT go away.

After reading all of the other posts, it seems to me that common things are antibiotics, surgery, toothpaste, and recent illnesses.   I can't believe how many of us are experiencing this problem and that most doctors are not taking it seriously.

I don't want to seem too paranoid by things, but my OT is really bothering me and I want a doctor to take it seriously.  I hate to think that I may have some kind of untreated infection, or some other hidden cause.

I think someone on here mentioned impaired liver function.  The pain medicine I was taking has that as a side affect (hydrocodone/acetaminophen).  I knew beforehand that acetaminophen can do serious things to your liver if you take too much of it.  Anyone on here maybe taking too much acetmaminophen?

For right now, I am going to give myself another week or so to recover from my surgery, and see if I notice any difference from healing.  Also, I am going to try an antiseptic mouthwash.  I am going to brush my tongue longer than usual too.  I'll come back here in a week for an update!
CURED! Yes, I had OT for over 6 months and I believe (please, let it be!) that the OT is gone! First I'll tell you how, then I'll tell you my specs and situation.I simply took a full course of Clarythromycin ER (brand name: Biaxin). Within a couple of days, the orange tongue was gone, I continued to take the rest of the meds ( a two week course) and its been three weeks since then. I still get a pasty mouth some nights, but I think I always did, so I believe I'm cured.

Like most of you, I first developed OT soon after taking a round of antibiotics. In my case it was Doxycycline.  About three times a year, I get this allergy-induced infection when weather changes or seasons change. Normally, I take Clarythromycin. For years I've taken it and it always works. The only problem was that it left a weird taste in my mouth and left my stomach a little queazy sometimes. So I asked my doctor for a similar antibiotic, and he prescribed Doxycycline. After my first time taking Doxycycline, my OT appeared.I didn't attribute it to the Doxycycline at firt, so when my seasonal cold/infection returned a few months late, I got another scrip for Doxycycline. The OT continued. No until now has it gone away.

Now, my specs:
- I am 37 years old, white, and live in an urban area.
- I eat very few vegetables and fruits (eliminating the carrot and orange theories)
- I never eat orange popsicles or cheetos
- I have used Arm and Hammer Baking Soda Toothpaste for several years now to curb my tendency to develop canker sores (it works)
- I tried using mouthwash to no effect.
- My OT resulted in no pain but a really bad taste in my mouth
- My OT seemed to be worst in the evenings, and particularly bad when I had consumed dairy or sweets ( ice cream and Kellogg's Frosted Flakes really seemed to set it off)
- My dentist was clueless
- My doctor prescribed Nystatin oral suspension, which I took twice, but it did nothing.
- I became irrationally scared after reading a post above and got an HIV test, which came back negative.
- I was bit by a tick in the last year, but I couldn't remember how long ago it was (before or after OT) and the tick was only on me for a few minutes before I got it off.

A bit of advice if you should ask your doctor to try out Clarythromycin. Definitely ask him/her to prescribe Clarythromycin ER (extended release). You take two pills at the same time every day for two weeks and your finished. Take the pills at night and you basically sleep through any stomack discomfort the pills might cause. You might wake up with a slight weird taste in your mouth, but that's it. At least that's how my body responded.

Best of luck and God bless all of you. I didn't want to post a comment until I ahd a good report. I'll let you know if by some cruel twist it resurfaces.

Please post if my suggestion works for you.

I have more of a yellow color to my tongue.  I only have a slight sore throat which has not gone away for some time now.  I took a photo of it to compare to what some of you have had.  Is this very similar?

http://i41.tinypic.com/2csigk2.jpg
I have an OT also. I've had it for about 3 weeks. At first i thought it was from the orange soda i had drank that day, but then after a few days of it still being orange and me having no orange foods or drinks it started to concern me. Yes my mouth is also dry and has a funny taste. I brush it off every day and it comes back . The taste seems to be worse after i drink coffee or soda which i do daily :(  I haven't seen a doctor for it yet but i am definitely planning to. My doctor seems to know all sorts of random things that most are stumped on so I'm crossing my fingers. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. If anyone wants to try my doctor also her name is Marti Trunnell. I have not been on any anitibiotics, have not had any surgeries, have no pain or discomfort other than the bad taste and my tongue being sore after i brush it to death twice a day. The only thing i am on is birth control but i have been on the same one for about 4 years now.  If i find a solution for mine I will definitely let everyone know. Good luck guys!
also, I am a 20 year old white female.  and i did forget to mention that i do take a lot of ibprofen. Somebody mentioned that it could be a liver problem and ibprofen is definitely bad for your liver.  I have seriously bad cramps, the birthcontrol helps a bit but i still have to take tons of pain medication to make it through the work day.
Phew... so glad to hear of other people with this.  I have read every single post and found a lot of commonalities.

First, I am 29 and had my tonsils out in July.  I have had throat problems (strep, tonsilitis, etc) my whole life.  I had enough of it and had my tonsils yanked.  Almost 5 months after the surgery I am finally feeling 100% (minus the orange tongue).  I had anestesia and a TERRBILE and painful recovery.  I was on two different anitbiotics for a month straight (I had a 10 day bleed where the surgery site opened up and bled so profusely I had to go to the ER) and pain medication for a month straight.  By Sept. I was still weak and not well or comfortable.  I lost at least 10 lbs.  I began to take a multi-vitamin, vit C, yeast pills (to counteract the anti-biotics) and maybe one other vitamin to try and beef up my stamina and strength (I am a teacher and was going "back to school").  I am not sure when exactly I began with orange tongue (maybe 3 months ago) but it doesn't physically bother me, its just annoying and kind of gross.  After having such a terrible time with the surgery I am almost afraid to go to a DR, so I have avoided that.  It does seem that there is a common thread of a weakend immune system and/or antibiotics and history of throat issues.  I just feel so relieved that I am not the only person with this odd issue.  Hopefully some DR will read this and perhaps do some research- it's amazing how many people posted with this problem and simultaneously how many DRs have never heard of it or say it is "normal"
It's been a little more than a week since my 12/23/08 post and my OT is not nearly as bad as it was.  I have pretty much recovered from my tonsil surgery.  I have been able to eat and drink as normal.  I have been cutting back on drinking surgary stuff, even though I really didn't drink a lot of sugary stuff before my surgery.  I do notice the OT showing up after having juice, especially apple juice.

I have been washing my toothbrush before every use, and I have been swishing antiseptic mouthwash for about 5 minutes after brushing.  I think it has made a huge difference for me.  I'm going to continue trying that and see how it goes.  It does seem to spread to others, because my boyfriend noticed his OT yesterday :(

It's been good reading everyone's suggestions, and I hope we can all get rid of our OTs!

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that I went to the dentist the day before my tonsil surgery for a routine cleaning and checkup.  Anyone else go the dentist sometime before noticing the OT?  

Just an update from me....I was SO excited for a couple days as my OT decided to take a vacation.  But, alas, I noticed today that it has come back with a vengence :(  I'm so sick of this Orange Tongue.  It doesnt hurt, but it constantly makes me think that something is horribly wrong.  I don't understand how my tongue can be normal all my life and then just be orange at the end of ever day!  I wish I knew why it didnt pay me a visit for two days straight only to come back again!  It's like a sick twisted joke :(
Hello all.
Well, the hydrogen paroxide is only a temporary fix. It lasts a little longer than normal brushing, but it does eventually come back. I read OrangeInOhio's post - I am planning to give this medication a try.  I am now convinced that the symptom and cause lie further than what we see on our tongues. It probably is clear down our throats, further than physical techniques can reach (depending on your gag reflex), and/or it is a more internal issue and the symptom is superficial. Medication is the only way to cure something like this, but since nobody knows what it is, noone knows what medication (if any) will properly treat it. So, we play hit and miss.

One major warning to all who suffer from this:
It is transferrable to others!  Transfer is from fluid, as demonstrated by other posts and my own experience. Watch who you are kissing and eating/drinking after or with. My wife has contracted this from me, and I am keeping a close eye on our kids - they share drinks and food with us (as little kids often do). We do our best to keep them sheltered from contracting it, but turn your back on your soda, and they are drinking out of it. They haven't shown any symptoms to date.

I suppose if enough people get this, the medical world will eventually investigate it. In the event this is the prelude to something more detrimental, I hope it doesn't cause any serious damage before it is revealed and addressed.

I'll write again after I try the Clarythromycin.

Good luck everyone, and be sure to share your experiences. The more information we have, the better we can try to find a solution.
4 months now. Some days more orange than others. I am not on meds and pretty healthy. No consistency in diet so i have ruled out food and beverage.  The only two things i can think of is i use whitening toothpastes(the brand has varied) and i have silver fillings. I will switch to non-whitening toothpaste but i am curious how many of you have silver fillings?
Haven't started the Clarythromycin yet, but discovered this is often used to treat acne. I also realized that I suffered from "teenager" levels of acne since this began. ANYONE ELSE? Our condition may actually be a strain of bacteria similar or the same as found in acne. Please let me know if you are also experiencing this.
Thanks all.
Hey BLKBAT ... I have not experienced any acne with the OT thing, but then never really had a problem as a teen either.  I do have a few silver filings but I no longer experience the OT thing - so doubt the filings have anything to do with it.   I'm still thinking it has something to do with a strep bacteria or something of the sort.  Seems like most of us experienced it after antibiotics for throat problems.  Hmmm ...  
Hello, I am writing because I noticed the orange tongue a couple of weeks ago right around the holiday season.  I had swollen tonsils and sore throat right before Christmas and then shortly after that I noticed the coating on my tongue.  I didn't go to the doctor or take any antibiotics though.  What I kinda figured is that there is some type of bacterial/microbial imbalance in my mouth. Anyway I am trying a couple of things and they seem to be helping and so I wanted to share them with you.

First of all since this OT seems to be some kind of germ growth I was wondering if I was respreading it to myself everytime I brushed my teeth.  I poured some hydrogen peroxide on my toothbrush and sure enough it foamed up like crazy.  So now I soak my toothbrush in vinegar every night to kill any germs and prevent myself from putting those same germs back in my mouth everytime I brush.

The next thing that I did was to eliminate white flour and sugar from my diet.  I noticed that many of you say that you notice the OT primarily at the end of the day.  I think that food contributes to it so I'm trying not to feed the OT with white flour and sugar.  The reason that I picked those foods is because the nodes on the back of my tongue seemed to be a bit inflammed and I thought that the white coating in the back might be yeast related.

The other thing that I started to do is put 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract in a cup of warm water and sip it throughout the day (swishing it around in my mouth). Grapefruit seed extract is like a natural antiviral/antibacterial/antimicrobial.  You can get it at the vitamin shoppe ($5.00)  or probably any other natural foods store. Also, there is a lot of info about it online.  

When I get home I brush my teeth before bed and use a gargle mixture of warm water, grapefruit seed extract (maybe five of six drops), hydrogen peroxide (two tablespoons), and vinegar (two tablespoons).  I started this regiment earlier this week and today my tongue isn't even slightly orange.  I am going to continue to be vigilant and watch my diet.  The other natural remedies that I may incorporate might include peppermint oil, oil of oregano.  

Oh, and one last thing.  I've been eating more foods that contain curry or cayenne pepper which I believe have some beneficial health properties. Anyway, I will let you know if this works and hope that some of this information helps you.  
Often when ou have a problem with your kidneys or your liver and sometimes even your bowels you can have various side effects in other areas of the body like the tonue turning orange. Ask your gp for blood tests and to do a full scene or general tests especially kidney and liver functioning tests (wee sample and maybe even stool sample) for example of this type of thing (and no you don't have this it is an example only) if you have a certain type of hepatitis the retinas of your eyes and also your tongue can aparantly turn yellow in color (so I have heard). Maybe the answer lies in getting another area checked out for an answer, drinking cranberry juice is suppose to be a great anti infection drink and honey is suppose to be a great cure all as well if anyone wants to try it.
Hey, I was just diagnosed w/ stomach reflux. (Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.) I know that the stomach acid is a yellowish color and since I have a yellow/orange tongue, I wonder if stomach acid has anything to do w/ OT. My reflux specialist said that most people don't even know that they have reflux.  I only found out because I was having a constant sore throat.  They put a tiny camera down my throat and found that I had GERD.  Sounds pretty logical to me.  We'll see after I get my reflux under control.

But I can't help but think about what redcs said about going to the dentist.  I think there might be truth to that.  Have we all picked up something from our dentists.  That's scary to think about?
I suffered from the OT for about 3 weeks until I discovered this forum.  I had always been able to brush mine away each night, with it returning some time in the afternoon the next day.  When I read the post about the clarythromycin I started taking some of the left over Augmentin I had at home taking. After just one day of taking the Augmentin the OT was gone.  I continued take what I had for 1 week.  So far its been 7 days and one OT.  I took Augmentin 875 mg twice a day for 5 days.  So far, so good.  I hope this is the cure.  I will post again if it comes back.  Good luck to all.
I suffered from the OT for about 3 weeks until I discovered this forum.  I had always been able to brush mine away each night, with it returning some time in the afternoon the next day.  When I read the post about the clarythromycin I started taking some of the left over Augmentin I had at home. After just one day of taking the Augmentin the OT was gone.  I continued taking  what I had for 1 week.  So far its been 7 days and no OT.  I took Augmentin 875 mg twice a day for 5 days.  So far, so good.  I hope this is the cure.  I will post again if it comes back.  Good luck to all.     (Correction)
My baby has had an orange tongue and funny-smelling breath for most of her life.  

At 16 weeks old, she has never eaten anything other than breast milk.

We live on the edge of a huge forest on the outskirts of a city with very good air quality.

I took antibiotics for a few days when she was about 10 days old.  That's the only connection I can see with anyone else's comments.
Hi all,

Amateur advice only but it looks to me like two or more groups are posting here.

Seems like there is a group suffering fungal infections (often subsequent to antibiotic use).

Then there is a group whose tongues may have been dyed by something. I am curious to know how many homeopathy users are amongst us? I  
I also have OT which I got after having a bad sore throat and then ten days of Clarithromycin antibiotic treatment.  So I cannot say that that antibiotic is a solution....in my case it seems to be the cause.  After reading all of these posts I thin raziela is right;  It is some kind of resistant bacteria that may or may not be related to the sore throat.  I have very low immunity, my sister's do too.  One has had Lymes disease and the other West Nile.  I'm am thinking that I should get tested for Lymes.  My neighbor is an epidemiologist and he told me he would look into this crazy orange tongue symptom and its possible spread and cause.
Hey all ... I found the answer by accident.  My daughter is suffering the effects of the HPV vaccination.  Found out everyone in my family has high levels of metal toxins in our bodies.  That is why we had the Orange Tongue!!!  Apparently, what happens is the metals (from vaccinations, water, foods, etc.) builds up over years.  If you do not eliminate them, then you end up getting infections like this that no doctor can figure out.  They NEVER look at metals ... right?  If you are on fluoridated water, the effects are exaccerbated.  Once your body is full, then the brain starts to fill.  This can cause migraines, hair loss, "foggy-head", garlic breath and God-forbid, even seizures.  

Here's the only solution:  start eating super healthy.  An apple a day is a good start - or pear or peach, etc.  Anything with malic acid since it will bind to metals in the brain and be carried back acros the blood brain barrier into your body.  One you are CERTAIN the blood brain barrier is intact (homocysteine levels), then you can start ridding your body of the toxins/metals by eating sulfur-rich foods - cabbage, garlic, etc.  These can make you sick while you eliminate them since they need to be eliminated in excrement (gross, sorry).  It helps if you are on a gluten-free diet because that "heals" the digestive tract" so if you can do this while you clear the BBB, do it!!!  

GO SLOWLY with this ... I repeat!!!  GO SLOWLY!!!  I found out about this last week and drank a bottle of pellegrino water and almost ended up at the hospital.  I thought I was having a panic attack - my heart was racing.  

Do some homework and find out about Chelation Therapy.  Trust me ... my daughter is suffering the side effects of the HPV vaccination and many girls have already died.  The doctors DO NOT know how to help (but be my guest and ask them to).  I take that back ... the DAN doctors (autism docs) understand all this so they would be able to help you.

Good luck.  Move slowly please ... !!!!  and just so you know ... you may feel really awful while you're getting the gunk out of your body.
Get the babies OFF fluoridated water.  It is very dangerous.  See my earlier post.  And NO MORE VACCINATIONS until they're completely clear ... if at all.  Their bodies will eliminate it - but feed them lots of rice and protein foods.  Look up Chelation Therapy and see my earlier posts!!  
Whoah. I can't believe that this many people have this problem. . .
I just noticed a bit of orange on my tongue yesterday, and it kinda weirded me out. I've been taking minocycline for acne (like dentldave mentioned previously) and I wonder if that has anything to do with it? My sister's taking the same thing and nothing seems to be happening with her. I also recently became a vegetarian but I take supplements and I never ate much meat in the first place, so I don't think it's a deficiancy. . . . However, I haven't made any other lifestyle changes lately.
Furthermore, my tongue hasn't been irratated in any other way. Maybe it's something I ate? Whole thing seems to be a mystery. . .
Good luck to everyone else dealing with this!!!
I developed WHITE tongue about 5 years ago. Doctors thought it was thrush but it wasn't. Then I started smoking heavily and it got stained black. 1 month after quitting smoking it came back to be white again. I use tongou scraper and clean it 5-6 times a day and am seeing improvement, but it is still not gone.

It has never been orange though.
So I think I lied ... it may NOT have to do with fluoride but definitely has to do with what you eat and drink.  It is some type of yeast from the digestive tract - I think orange cat guy said something to that effect.  The rest I said is all true.  I did find out that distilled water is the best thing to drink.  You can fill your water bottles with it and it's as good as "smart water" (basically identical).  Hope you all get some relief.  This is a scary story, especially since I now believe that you can pass metals to your children.  My daughter was on soy formula for a year before she stopped crying ... (soy binds with metals and is eliminated in your excrement).  Wow ... I hope I don't freak you all out but get it checked out and start eating healthy foods!
I had an orange tongue recently for about 3 weeks.  I had nasal surgery back in November (received IV antibiotics and of course anesthesia).  I also seems to have developed inner ear issues (mostly cracking when I swallow and stuffiness).  I have been eating yogurt everyday for the past week and my OT has gone away.  I think mine was probably yeast.  Priobiotics certainly wouldn't hurt anyone (unless you're allergic to the source of your priobiotics, i.e., dairy)  When searching for an answer I came across the article below, which may shed some light on the subject.  We may be experiencing orange, slightly less hairy tongues...

Search for:
Black, hairy tongue: What causes it?

Answer:
A black, hairy tongue is a temporary, harmless condition. It typically results from an overgrowth of bacteria — and sometimes yeast — in the mouth. These organisms accumulate on the tiny projections of the tongue — called papillae — and cause discoloration. Certain types of bacteria and yeast make red blood cell pigments (porphyrins) that can give the tongue a black appearance. In some cases, the tongue may also appear "hairy" due to more rapid growth of papillae or an interruption of the normal shedding of cells by the tongue.

In some cases, the cause of black, coated tongue can't be determined. However, some potential causes include:

* Changes in the normal bacteria or yeast content of the mouth following antibiotic treatment
* Poor oral hygiene
* Medications containing bismuth, such as Pepto-Bismol
* Regular use of mouthwashes containing oxidizing agents, such as peroxide, or astringent agents, such as witch hazel or menthol
* Tobacco use
* Drinking excessive amounts of coffee or tea

Some tips for removing the discoloration include:
* Gently brush your tongue with a toothbrush twice a day.
* Rinse your mouth with diluted hydrogen peroxide (one part peroxide to five parts water) or apply it with a toothbrush. Rinse your mouth with water afterward.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, consult your dentist or doctor. If the discoloration is due to bacterial overgrowth, antibiotics may be prescribed.
I'm rather surprised that this is as common as it is and that NOBODY in the medical/dental field has a clue!  

Background- This is my second round of OT, the first one being about a year ago and lasted a couple weeks (my 6 year old had it at the same time and we didn't do anything special to get rid of it and I don't remember anything about what could have brought it on). Now it's back and here are somethings that I think may play a role or are similar to those who have posted.

-I had a mild cold (no antibiotics in over a year, though the first round could have come after my last antibiotic, I don't remember) and it came on after
-still have lingering congestion, but nothing too bothersome
-in my last trimester of pregnancy so I  have developed acid reflux quite a bit lately
-acne (worsened with pregnancy)
-lots of multivitamins (also because of pregnancy)
-dry mouth in the morning and worse OT at night, even sometimes in the afternoon (possibly sugar related?)

As the last few posts have been about body toxicity, I'd love to try a body cleanse, but I'm terrified to do anything that might be harmful to the baby, but I'm also worried that whatever is causing the OT is harmful enough as it is. I will not be trying Clarythromycin, again, because of the baby, though I doubt that would work anyway being that it seems antibiotics seem to be the trend in starting most of this. I'm assuming it will be pointless to ask DRs and don't want to waste the time and money to do so.  ANY ideas or suggestions would be great!!
I finally spoke with my epidemiologist neighbor about the OT and what his findings were.  He said he did not see it in the medical literature but he did note the number of internet postings so he said "It's out there, for sure."  He suggested that it is probably a harmless yeast infection (like candida albicans).  He pointed out that researchers have figured out a way to splice beta carotene (orange pigment) into rice to give it more vitamins and although this is not available to the general population it could be a new form of Candida...say orangicans....heh heh heh, resulting from genetically modified organisms.  I don't know, it seems plausible.  That would explain why so many people get it after a round of antibiotics.  The antibiotics kill the bacteria that keep yeast infections in check.  Also steroids and certain mouthwashes can affect the natural flora of your body.  I was reading about yeast on Wikipedia and found it is a fungus so it could possibly be associated with that nail fungus problem too.  If you followed a diet with limited or no carbohydrates for a few days (like Atkins) you might note if your tongue looks better.   Yeasts need sugars (carbs) to live.  I don't know for sure but this seems like a potential answer.  It would explain how a baby who is only nursing could get it ie., thrush.  Hope this helps.
Sorry to report, Clarythromycin (full 10 day course) did not help.  I have had OT for 3 months.  Some days its ok, some days its not.  I am even nervous about using saliva as a lubricate during sex in the event it could cause a yeast infection for my partner.  Does anyone else think this should be a concern to?
I'm so glad to have found others like me! Fortunately for me, my OT is in its initial stages - I only noticed it about 4 days ago, accompanied by a severe sore throat (feels like swollen tonsils) and lots of phlegm/saliva, which persists to this day. I was out of my hometown when it happened, and drank tap water a few times, so it could be a change in the fluoride content, and I also started smoking more consistently over the weekend. Attempts to cure the sore throat with cough drops exacerbated the orange - i looked like a cheetos addict.

I'll keep everyone posted, I think i'm going to cut as much carb and sugar out of my diet as possible.
hey everyone..
you will all be happy after this..

take a dosage for amoxicillan 500mg and it will go away!
youre welcome
=]
WOW!  Im so glad to see that there are other orange tongues out there! First of all, I work at a dental office as an assistatnt and have for 6 + years, and my dentist knows nothing.  I looked through some of his dental clinical and anatomy books and found nothing.  I dont think that we are contracting it through our dentist's offices though, I would see or hear of our patients having this and I havent.  Besides, the sterlization techniques at a dental office are as or more efficient as the surgical ward at the hospitals!  Anyway, I noticed my orange about a week and a half ago, I take no medications (including no vitamins), no surgeries (in fact the only surgery I have ever had was to remove my tonsils when I was 5), havent been on a round of antibiotics since I can remember...I eat healthy for the most part,but I do occasionally drink and/or smoke.  My other symptoms include an ulcerated lesion on the back of my throat, dry throat (the kind that makes you cough until you gag) and I suppose it is slightly sore in the morning before I drink anything, but other than that my throat and tongue feel fine.  I do not like the taste that the orange seems to give, but it's not terrible as some of you mentioned.  I have always been fairly active and have noticed recently that I dont have as much energy.  I have been getting awful headaches with dizziness and blurred vision as well since OT.  ???? So I dont know...as you can imagine my oral hygiene is above average being that is my job, so it's not that.  My symptoms dont relate to antibiotics or surgery or vitamins.  It's not beta keratine, as I rarely eat carrots or other foods with it.  Talk about frustrating!!!!    
I wish that I was here to post some good news from my Dr....
I forgot to mention that I've had this about two weeks.  
so glad I found this thread, I noticed my OT about 5 days ago. My daughter had been sick for a week at that time with flu/sinus infection but I didn't get sick myself. I did take doxycycline for 2 weeks for a chronic dermatitis, ended that about 2 weeks ago. Had a terrible yeast infection with that. But unlike most others here, I don't have any other symptoms, no sore throat etc. I'm seeing my infectious disease dr in the next couple weeks and will definitely ask him about OT and followup here. In the meatime will try the hydrogen peroxide bit.
How I cured my OT...

Just like the vast majority of OT sufferers in this forum, I also developed OT after a round of antibiotics that I was prescribed to address an unrelated gum infection.

After living with the OT for about 2 months, I went to see an ENT specialist.  He had no clue what it was and prescribed an antifungal tablet (fluconazale) and an antifungal mouthrise (nystatin).  After taking both for two weeks, I didn’t notice any change whatsoever in my OT.  I took the medication as prescribed and would scrub my tongue every morning but by dinner time the OT was back in full effect.

So here’s what I did to cure it...I ate a serving of yogurt every day coupled with a single probiotic tablet (over the counter) and rinsed my mouth twice daily with chlorhexidine (.12%).  The mouth rinse was actually prescribed by an oral surgeon in preparation for a tooth extraction I had scheduled last week.  The yogurt and pro-biotic tablets were recommended by the ENT specialist if the anti-fungal treatment didn’t work.

Unfortunately I don’t know which one of the three did the trick (yogurt, probiotic tablets or chlorhexidine) but what I do know is that after two days of using all three the OT was gone and it has not returned in over one week.  The dryness in my mouth is gone and my tongue color is back to normal!

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
former OT sufferer.
Here's a helpful link and worth looking into finding a good Chinese doctor.  I had one a while back for some other issues I was having (liver, residual pain from bad car accident, etc.) and he really fixed me.  I will be calling him about my newly orange tongue too.  Good luck to all of you - http://www.tcmbasics.com/diagnose_inspect.htm - the info pertinent to us is at the bottom of the page.  
Haven't seen my infectious disease doc yet, but I brushed my OT with hydrogen peroxide for 3 nights and 3 mornings, and it has been normal for a few days now.
I am here to report success after a long frustrating 7 month battle with OT.  Everyday around 4 o'clock I would look and see a tongue covered in orange.  Easily clean off with tooth brush but so very frustrating and my breath smelled.  Doctor was of no help as she didn't know what it was.  Did you have cheetos?  NO DAMN'T...
She prescribed me the Clarythromycin ER but this did not help at all.  I went on some other antibiotic for soon thereafter for a 6 week sinus infection that I couldn't stand anymore.  Still had strong case of OT.  As soon as I was done the my sinus antibiotic, I started DORYX for Rosasea.  I was also trying probiotics and yogurt everyday but this was not helping.  Ultimately for me, the DORYX has done it.  Pretty much right after I started the OT went away.  Sometimes I have white chalky tongue but NO OT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I waited to post a comment till I was satified as prior, occationally I would have a day or two that OT would go away.  THIS TIME I HAVE BEEN OT FREE FOR 19 DAYS.  YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I have found a solution for OT!!!!

Problem:
The cause of OT seems to be a bacterial imbalance. This normally means that something (antibiotics, flu, cold, food poisoning, infection) has killed off a lot of your good bacteria.

Solution:
A combination of supplements to put some good bacteria back into your system and get your remaining good bacteria count back up.
1. A Multi-Enzyme Formula Tablet replace the enzymes in your digestive tract
2. A Probiotic Complex
3. A Prebiotic tablets
4. Yogurt
5. Lots of water
6. Lots of cranberry juice
7. Lots of rest

My Story:
I am a 26yr old Active male. I had a bout with food poisoning from Korean BBQ. I then took antibiotics for any infected cut I received while playing football in the park. I also had a bad cold. This destroyed my good bacteria count. I spoke with my mom of course who is a nutritionist and she explained that you body is giving you signals and trying to fight off infection. Similar to a fever, your body undergoes dramatic changes in order to protect itself. I took the supplements above and within 24 hours the OT was gone.

I hope this helps all my fellow OT suffers. Try it and let me know the results.
SUCCESS!
I had an orange tongue for a couple weeks after taking antibiotics. Same symptoms all of you described- brushing didn't help, it would just come back. It was so maddening- everything tasted terrible, especially coffee. The doctor didn't know what it was. Finally, I decided to try an old standby- Grapefruit Seed Extract. It has a god-awful bitter taste, but it is truly magic. I mixed 20 drops in about a half cup of water, and held the solution in my mouth for as long as I could stand it. I then swallowed. Each half-cup of water was about 3 mouthfulls worth, and I did this 3 times a day. Within two days, it was gone!
Grapefruit Seed Extract is a relatively cheap item, it has antibiotic properties but won't kill off the good flora in your body the way regular antibiotics will.
Anyway, good luck everyone!
I've had orange tongue for a couple weeks now, and I haven't had any type of infection or antibiotic in the last month or so.  I too have been using Crest Pro Health toothpast for the last few months as well had started taking a Kelp supplement daily with the hopes to increase my metabolism....I am curious if their is maybe too much beta carotene in such a concentrated amount of kelp or is there something questionable about the toothpaste? Any comments about this?
Amoxacillin dosn't work, been on 2 pills a day for almost a week now(for a cold sore) still have the OT, mine came shortly after i had some antibiotics for a cold(that caused the runs) which resulted in a new dose of antibiotics to deal with the cause of that.
I have had all the same symptoms as most of you. Its a relief to know there are so many others out there just like me.  This has been going on for 6 months for me now, and I have been to over 7-8 Dr.s (including ears nose throat Dr.).  I was given antibiotic after antibiotic. Steroids, K-Pak, Nystatin, you name it. Nothing has helped; all the meds probably made it worse, actually.  After my impatience with many dr.s telling me that its "no big deal", I decided to go to an infectious disease dr..  I am going in for a cat scan of my sinuses this week and from there, he said he wants to look at maybe an acid reflux problem or liver problem.  
Im so frustrated! Over the past 6 months, I have had blood work, the camera up my nose for sinus( like someone mentioned), an ultrasound on my neck, and everything seems to come back normal.  I keep however getting sinus infections, loosing my voice, and feel really sick like once every other month. My whole life I have had asthma and allergies.  Not sure if the OT relates to sinus, but Ill be sure to post anything I learn.  I read all about candida and it seems to fit all my symptoms.( except having HIV).  
I just wish there was a Dr. who knew, or even some hope out there. I feel so stressed!!!
I am a 40 year old fitness instructor with orange tongue too...just noticed it about a month ago. I have been using Listerine whitening mouthwash as well as whitening toothpaste for about a month or so too.

We share a head microphone for our exercises classes and wonder too if I am contracting some infection from this... recently the mic was broken and we all had sore throats with shouting whilst teaching our classes.

Iam on no medication, not had surgery, do not have any medical conditions (that I know of). I drink around 2 cups of tea and 2 cups of coffee a day, and dont drink much sodas etc
I have a reasonable diet ( not the best but not the worst!) and am very fit, teaching 26 classes per week.  Maybe my immune system is under attack?
Like everyone else I can scrape the colour away but it jsut comes back!!
Michelle
So, I am just writing again to let everyone know that my OT has been gone for 50 plus days.  No orange whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am so relieved.  

Doryx is the name of the drug that fixed me.  I tried 3 different anti-biotics and they didn't help.  I still get white on my tongue from time to time which I believe indicates I still have some sort of bacterial imbalance so I plan on doing the things some of the people wrote above like:
2. A Probiotic Complex
3. A Prebiotic tablets
4. Yogurt
5. Lots of water
6. Lots of cranberry juice
7. Lots of rest
8. Grapeseed Extract
Just reporting back that I have had no recurrence since mid-March, after brushing my tongue with hydrogen peroxide for 3 nights and mornings. Maybe I had a mild case?
Good luck everyone.
Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me get rid of my orange tongue, especially OrangeInOhio.

I used Clarythromycin for a 2 week period. After 4 days it was still there, but on the fifth day it disappeared completely. I continued through to the end of the 2 weeks.
Someone suggested to use Augmentin, but that can cause thrush.

I am a 26 year old male, and I think the time that I got it was after a very bad night of drinking where I vomited for an hour or so non-stop (sorry for the details). I noticed someone said their baby had it, so maybe the bacterial imbalance of orange tongue was caused by vomiting.
After this nite i started to notice my orange tongue. i had it for 4 months. i tried listerine, baking soda etc but it always came back,
when i found this forum i tried Clarythromycin, and now i havent had it for 4 months.
I have had orange tongue for about a month. I a m a 24 year old male. I am taking an SSRI and Depakote. I have not recently been on antibiotics. I have never used the crest mouthwash people are talking about.
I am now in the middle of a pretty bad flue which I've had for about ten days now. Just won't seem to go away. I don't know if the two are related.
I've tried grapefruit seed extract and probiotics for about two weeks now and had no success.
I guess I'll have to try the antibiotic next
Someone suggested trying GSE for orange tongue.  I have a warning.  Do not swirl in mouth (even diluted) for prolonged period of time.  This is the 2nd time I have kept it swirling in my mouth and I am paying the price.  First time I caused myself agony, I mixed it too strong with water.  Second time, I swirled it too long.  

Now, my salivary glands are having difficulty producing saliva and my mouth is burning like a chemical burn feeling.  Its awful.  

Honestly, I suspect it will be benificial but it deserves respect.  Its strong.
I have cured my orange tongue which I've been suffering from for 6 months now. It turned out to be the one of the signs of an allergy I was having to the peroxide in my whitening toothpaste.

About a year ago my mouth was raw and I had a sore, the dentist told me to switch toothpast and it fixed it and then out of now where Crest added peroxide to the toothpast I was using and the sores started again, I used a hydrogen peroxide rinse to help heal the sores and I woke up the next morning with my face, tongue, lips and general swelling all over, I also lost all the taste in my tongue. I have allergies to antibiotics so I knew what to do, 2 Benedryl every four hours.

It's been about 5 days and to my surprise - not only are the sores, headache, dark circles under my eyes, numbness in my hands and feet all gone but my orange tongue is completely gone as well.

The orange tongue is your bodies way of saying that there is something foreign which it doesn't like, maybe bacteria, a virus but probably an allergic reaction. The doctor said that until several symptons show up it's really hard to tell what's going on. I hope this helps out everyone. I've feel better than I've felt in months!
Although my orange tongue is gone and the underlying cause was the peroxide in the toothpaste, I believe that the peroxide reacted with my metal fillings (as in one of the posting above) with the result of mercury poisening. The perioxide rinse was the tip of the iceberg so to say. I'll be contacting my doctor to check for Mercury poisening - it really ***** that the medical profession doesn't do a thorough job leaving us to do all the research and request specific test for ourselves.
I jumped the as the orange tongue is back and now my skin is turning a pinkish orange color.

My skin feels numb and cold and I'm trembeling. I can't get in to see the doctor today as she has no openings, I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'm pretty sure this is from exposure to mercury, my gut tells me that the hydogen peroxide rinse reacted with my fillings allowing the release of mercury into my system.
I went to the dentist today who confirmed that my orange tongue, migranes (migraines), dry skin, etc...... are all caused by MERCURY POISENING from a root that was done by an endontist in October. He filled the entire root cavity with a metal filling which is 50% mercury! The dentist said it has been leaching into my system all this time. He reaplaced all the metal in my mouth with non-toxic materials (I was there for four hours). I've been sick with many different things since October (like reoccuring sinus and yeast infections) but had no idea it was from Dental Work. The dentist said when your body is suffereing from toxicity you can be prone to any number of allments.

I am cured, thanks to my orange tongue and this forum which made me put all the pieces together for what was causing my illness. He has had four known cases of this in the past 10 years, but he said his patients are the ones who always bring to his attention after they did research for themselves. BTW - the peroxide in whitening products reacts with your metal fillings releasing mercury into your body.
if you have have sorethroat before thecold ,put some paracetamall tablet in to the water and gargle several times you can cure.
wik
So glad to know there are SO MANY of you fellow orange-tongue(ers).

I have been on LOTS of antibiotics for the last two years - the orange tongue appeared with my last round of antibiotics for strep throat.

Antibiotics screw up the digestive system by killing off all the good bugs as well.  

One website I found said orange tongue probably means your blood is toxic - liver has been over-worked and polluted (so could be from antibiotics, eating the wrong food or for those that drink alcohol - well, we all know that alcohol is bad for the liver).

The battle against The Orange Tongue is futile!

I have had my orange tongue in varying degrees for about 8 or 9 months now.
I had been on antiobiotics a lot for chrinic sinus infections before the orange appeared.
I still have chronic sinus infections that will never go away even after having surgery on my sinuses.
I am at a loss now. It is somewhat relieving to hear that so many people have the OT and there doesn't seem to be any real danger in it.

I have seen 6 doctors and a dentist about it and the consensus pretty much seems to be "get over it" or "don't worry about it."
I have tried every remedy in the book and some combinations of all of them:
More antiobiotics
Anti fungal treatments
Tongue scraping
Cut out caffeine and acidic foods from my diet
Eating yogurt with cultures every day
Mouthwashes
Brushing tongue
Daily vitamin & mineral supplements
Less sugary and salty foods

NOTICE: none of the above has worked!
The one thing I have had mild success with is the prescription mouthwash Chlorhexidine Gluconate. Within minutes after washing my mouth for 30 seconds with this stuff the orange completely goes away. It usually doesn't come back until a week or two later. However, the wash tastes terrible and leaves a burning bitter taste in the mouth for several hours. I have stopped using it though because the orange always came back.

My  orange tongue generally seems to get really bad accompanying heartburn after eating a lot of fatty foods, acidic foods, or sugary foods.  
I would like to think the stomach acid is just coloring my tongue orange but sometimes I get the OT with no signs of acid reflux that day.
Lately I have been getting what seem to be ulcers as well.
I looked into Helicobacter pylori which is apparently present in half the world's population sometimes with similar symptoms but it doesn't seem to be related to the OT.

I don't know what else to do and the doctors want me to give up fighting it so I guess I will.
I will continue to read here as this thread is updated and will post again if I find anything else out.

The orange tongue is definitely out there and doctors don't know what it is; hopefully it is harmless. Good luck to everyone else!!
Going on 4 weeks with OT. Now I'm developing a thick white coating way in the back of my tongue where it gags me to scrape it. Does anyone else have that? The only other symptom I have is lots of swollen lymph nodes (throat, under chin, under arms) even though I feel fine and don't have a fever.

Just finished my second week of Fluconazale, naturally, it did nothing. Doctor said it was worth a try though he suspected it might not work since it doesn't look like I have thrush. Have tried brushing with peroxide, Crest Pro Health mouthwash (helped but didn't cure) and just started Biotene toothpaste/mouthwash.

For those looking for commonalities:
30 yr old white female, athletic, eat well, non smoker, no meds, haven't taken antibiotics in last 6 months, live in St. Louis. The only thing I take is a multi vitamin daily, but I even tried stopping that for 2 weeks but it didn't help. I don't over do the orange foods. None of the theories out there seem to fit for me. :(

Can't believe the medical industry has no idea what this is. We should send this forum link to every pharma company out there. There's big $$$ in a cure, come and get it Big Pharma!!!
For the past two months I too have had an orange tongue from time to time.  It brushes off and seems to be worst at night.  I haven't changed my diet at all.  I'm 20, a male, and eat healthy and exercise regularly.  Luckily it doesn't cause me any pain.  I have no swollen lymphnodes or tonsil problems to my knowledge.  Perhaps this is some sort of bacterial infection?  

I will keep better tabs on it in the future as I try to solve the mystery.  I had no idea that there were others out there, I just googled it and thought there could be some solutions.  Best of luck to everyone else and keep brushin those teeth (and flossing).
I recently took 1 gram of Zithromycin in one single dose for Chlamydia treatment and I think this is when I noticed my orange tongue. Yesterday I started taking a probiotic called Inner Health Plus and on Thursday I am going to the doctor about my orange tongue. I'll keep you all posted.

FR
10-month orange tongue sufferer here

Yes eshizzle the very thick white coating in the back of the gag reflex area accompanies the orange tongue for me if i dont brush back there for a few days. Seems to be a commonality with most OT sufferers.
Not sure about your gag relfex tongue area coating but mine is so thick back there sometimes i could probably fill a small spoon with the scraped gunk.

Update to my old post:
The past month or so I have been just brushing my tongue thoroughly every morning and spitting out the orange;
however my tongue has started bleeding more often when I do this, I dont even brush it very hard. Almost every time i brush the orange off, the tongue beneath starts bleeding!! Sometimes in multiple spots on the tongue.

SOMEONE PLEASE SOLVE THE ORANGE TONGUE MYSTERY
my mouth is gross!
I have an organge coated tongue that i cannot get rid off. I have had it for a week now mouth wash and brushing does not remove it. what can you suggest.
I can suggest reading through the forum and trying each of the remedies for yourself.
The most immediate results will probably come from the mouthwash chlorexidine if you can get your hands on it.
Good luck!
I have a question - do any of you suffer from constipation? I read something interesting on the internet and I suffer from chronic constipation and have done so for years:

"As to constipation some forms of it or disease associated with it are undoubtedly connected with changes in the tongue. It is not difficult to cite cases where the tongue has remained natural under long constipation either functional or connected with chronic obstruction. On the other hand where the obstruction is acute, the tongue early becomes stippled or coated and dry. The determining factor seems to be the presence or absence of constitutional disturbance which is often not present with simple constipation, or chronic obstruction where the tongue is natural."

It's all a bit technical and it's part of a massive piece of writing but it refers to OT a lot. My tongue also gets very dry quite regularly. I went to a Chinese doctor and she said that it has to do with excessive "heat" in the body which I have read about a lot also. I went to a general doctor and he laughed it off and said "so you have a slight orange coating, so what!" I have also just noticed that my OT smells bad!! I'm going to get to the bottom of this. I'm pretty convinced mine has to do with constipation and toxins.
.
I MAY HAVE A CURE!   I'm 26 male.  I haven't been sick in ages and I don't take any meds.  No diet change nothing like that.   I first noticed my orange tongue about 3 weeks ago, but thought nothing of it.  The night I first saw it I had drank an orange amp energy drink and just assumed that was what made my tongue orange.  Then about a week ago while brushing my teeth I just looked at my tongue out of the blue and noticed it was orange again.  I was puzzled and brushed most of the orange off.  The next night it was back!  That's when I googled it and found this forum.  I have not burning, tingling, itching, none of that.  Just the orange tongue.  But for the past couple days I haven't been suffering from the it so I think I may have found a cure.  After I brush my teeth I still brush my tongue as well.  But also I swish with salt water. I remember my dentist telling me to do this as a kid after I got my teeth pulled.  So I figured what the hell.  I got about a mouthfuls worth of water in a glass and just poured regular table salt in.  Stirred it around until it dissolved and the water was almost gray.  It tastes horrible and I wouldn't recommend swallowing it purely for the taste, but I have done this for only 3 nights and my orange tongue seems to be gone!  Yes GONE!!  Tonight I'm going to skip the salt water rinse and see if it is still gone. Fingers crossed, I've been happy to see my regular tongue again the past two days.  I will let everyone now how it goes, without the salt water rinse, over the next couple days.
I'm a 24 year old male med student.

I haven't had any changes in my diet, nor am I taking any medications. I just woke up with an orange tongue one day.

As a med student I'm more inclined  to believe the bacterial theory running around. I've already read about many vitamin related deficiencies and none of them have any clinical findings about an orange or yellow tongue. As for the harmfulness of it... It doesn't seem to be dangerous... But it's definitely not completely harmless... Many people including myself have complained about Inflamed nodules... Even the ones that don't have them, still say they have sore throats. This in most cases is just the natural immune response from our granular cells/WBC's to a foreign entity. If so, this in part gives some validity to the bacterial theory running around. Since deficiencies normally do not set off immunological responses.

I myself have no possible explanation for what's going on.

As for the the salt water remedy previously posted, it would work as a mild antiseptic. Killing the more susceptible/weaker bacterias and sparing the rest.  It yielded results to our fellow OTer so I would definetly recommend it. Not to mention, that it is extremely accessible to all.

I'll be trying it out myself and reporting back with any findings.

Take Care All...

-Will
i had orange tongue and started taking omega 3-6-9 pills and it went away!

try it and let me know if it works for you.. might take a week or so.
Sorry guys, it's been more than a couple days since my post on the 7th, but I'd like to report that my orange tongue has yet to return.  After the 7th of Sept, I skipped a couple nights without the salt water rinse I talked about.  No orange tongue appeared.  I got paranoid and used the rinse again once more, just as piece of mind I guess.  Ever since my post I have yet to see any changes from my normal tongue.  I'm super excited and I hope people have checked up on here and tried it with the same result.  I still, of course, brush regularly, at least twice a day. Sometimes brushing my tongue and what not, but haven't had any issues.  I really hope that everyone out there gives this a shot, and that it works for them.  

Thanks Mitch, I will try the salt water for a few days and see if it returns.
Hello orange toungoids,
I am a nursing major and I too have been cursed with the dreaded orange tongue! I noticed my orange tongue yesterday. My throat started hurting pretty bad the other day so I went to the doctor and he said I had a viral infection of some sort. Then I woke up yesterday morning with a terribly orange tongue! I tried listerine and it got rid of most of it. I am going to try a combo of a listerine swish following a salt water swish and see if that helps. It is quite puzzling. I would aggree with the bacterial theory. The bacteria could very well be using the orange coating as its protecting "shield" as one of the other yellow toungoids said earlier. I hope this works!! Thanks!!

-Rachel
Hello all from Provo, Utah. My orange tongue appeared in July while I was on a long road vacation, and has been accompanied with a mild burning sensation. Other than lack of sleep that probably lowered my immune system, I was not sick and not on any medications at that time. I found this forum a few weeks later and visited my dentist for a prescheduled check in August. Tried PerioGard, Nystatin, probiotics, and more, to no avail. The color did fade a couple time, but came right back full force. I visited an ENT doctor on Sept. 25, and he told me it was the first time he had seen this condition. After reviewing my history and an exam he suggested a biopsy of my tongue to analyze what it could be. I agreed, wanting desperately to get this over with.

The biopsy included a numbing shot in my tongue and removal of a 4x3x3 mm piece of tissue. One stitch and away I went for a long weekend of pain. On Oct. 1, I went back to the ENT for the results of the oral pathology report.

DIAGNOSIS:
TONGUE ANT DORSAL, PAPILLARY HYPERKERATOSIS WITH BACTERIAL COLONIZATION (529.3)
Remark: the histologic feature of the specimen are consistent with hairy tongue in which a close of bacteria produce an orange color due to their chromogenic nature.

MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION:
Histologic examination reveals a soft tissue specimen consisting of keratinized stratified squamous epithelium and supporting connective tissue. The surface of the specimen demonstrates numerous elongated spires of keratin upon which are adherent bacterial colonies...

ENT doctor gave me a scrip for antibiotic (generic Augmentin) amoxicillin / clavulanic acid 875/125 mg for 10 day treatment. I'm now in day 4 and the color is steadily receding. Interestingly, I now have a sore throat and more pain on my tongue--not sure if that is related to fighting off the bacteria or a side effect of the meds, but I'm happy as punch to see the orange going away.

We know not all orange tonguers have the same beginnings; it seems there a number of factors from infection to mercury fillings, but at least for some of us bacteria is the cause.
Typo correction: In my above diagnosis that is a "clone of bacteria" not close of bacteria.
I have had the orange tongue for almost exactly one year now.
Danob what you described sounds like what I probably have.

After trying every solution in this thread with no long term results, I tried something desperate to test my theory that the bacteria love foods with fat and sugar.

__________________
I have found a solution|
--------------------------------'

For 5 days I ate nothign but the following:
Breakfast: Plain quaker oats in a glass with rice milk.
Lunch and Dinner: Plain black beans and rice.

I am happy to report that for the 5 days of this trial, the orange tongue did not show up at all. Not Once!
However, on the sixth day, at work I ate a half of one doughnut... Within several minutes the orange tongue had returned!!!!
I brushed my tongue the next morning and returned to the normal eating habits of oats, black beans, and rice the next day.
On the day after that I had a few Chips Ahoy cookies. AGAIN withing several minutes, the orange tongue had reappeared with a vengeance.

This "experiment" rejects the null hypothesis that the orange tongue is irrelevant to my diet.

I believe that the OT bacteria lay dormant on the tongue until something they like enters your mouth, at which point they flare up and grow. Their "spires of keratin" as danob's biopsy reports, must remain on the tongue until brushed off.

While there are multiple causes of OT according to this thread,in my opinion, most of the cases of recurring OT are probably caused by the afforementioned bacteria.

Hopefully at some point, I will have an opportunity to sneak a slide of my own scraped OT under the microscope at my college to see these spires of keratin.
Update of treatment following tongue biopsy:
I started the antibiotic (amoxicillin/clavulanic acid 875/125 mg) on October 1, for a 10-day course, and watched the orange color fade away!  At the end of the treatment it seemed to be completely gone, however, a few days later the orange made a slow but definite return.  AGHHH!!!  On the back of my tongue I also noticed a few small bumps that I did not see before.

Questions:
Was the antiobiotic not strong enough / long enough to fight off all of the bacteria?  How extensive is the bacteria in the digestive system?  Would a stonger course of antibiotics get the job done, with what possible side effects?

I agree with Event_Horizon that this bacteria enjoys certain foods, especially sugar, I have seen increases in color after eating sweets or breads.  I'll be seeing my ENT doc again this week, so far he has been very helpful and interested in finding the cause/treatment.
About 3 weeks ago I had a pretty bad throat infection. My son told me one day that my tongue was orange and on looking in the mirror I could not believe what I was seeing. the whole of my tongue was orange and thought that maybe it was just something I had eaten.
3-4 days later no change, tongue was still the same color so thought I had better take a trip to the doctor who said I was eating too many curries! What? I hadn't eaten a curry in weeks to which he then asked me What do you think it is?.  Come on, if I was on half his wage I would probably have had a better idea of what it was than he had and I had no idea!
I brush my teeth and tongue twice a day, use Listerine mouthwash yet the color comes back and it is starting to freak me out. I have even had nightmares about it and it is no joke to those reading this that may think it is funny. I had never heard of peoples tongues changing color and was even more surprised after a Google search to see that so many people seem to suffer from it. I also get an incredible thirst through the night sometimes but don't get any bad tastes. I have been checked for diabetes etc which is all ok so I am putting the thirst down to whatever is going on in my mouth.
I am going to try some of the hints on here to see if anything will help as it appears that trips to the doctors and dentists are a waste of time.
While I don't want to generalise and say that everyone is suffering from the same problem, for me it would seem that it is simply a problem of bad breath which is caused by a bacterial imbalance. I found some interesting info on the net and thought I'd share it with you.

To work out if you have bad breath, try the following (yeah it's gross but it's how I learned that my orange tongue coating is bacteria):

1. Cup both your hands together and breathe into them and then smell. As most bad breath is caused by bacteria that live at the back of the tongue, you will need to breathe out deeply and not just from your mouth. To do this, stick your tongue out and breathe out from the bottom of your stomach. If it smells bad, there's your answer!

2. If you still can't tell, then this is even more gross but again, it really helped me identify what the orange was. Scrape some of the orange off with your nail and rub it between your fingers. Leave for 5 seconds and sniff. If it smells bad, then there is your problem!

I'm off to the doctors (again) tonight to see what treatment options are available. I'll report back tomorrow.
Well typical - the doc trivialised it. I found myself getting quite upset and ready to cry as it's the third time I've been to a doctor about it. None of them seem to understand that to suddenly wake up one day with an orange coating on your tongue is not normal!! He has given me some antibiotics and referred me to an ear, nose and throat specialist. His referral letter basically makes me out to be worried over nothing and he is only referring me because I insisted.

I KNOW that something's not right, I can tell and I'm not going to accept that this is normal because it's not.
I'm 52, English and have recently had small biopsy operation for Nasal infection. I have been taking erithromycin to clear this nasal infection caused by polyps for months. I am due another operation to remove the polyps in my sinus cavity soon and have now stopped the antibiotics but OT is still there.
If it persists I think I'll try Claromycin and Listerine suggestions from above and anyway start taking a dialy probiotic yoghurt again. I think either the anaesthetic or particular antibiotic caused it and I am amazed so many people are affected (and slightly relieved).
Who knows this could be the start of a new viral or fungal complaint. None of the medics seem to have a clue on what causes it.
Hi every body I had the orange tongue for more than 3 months  with out any clue or hope of a cure until i found this site... to make a long story short i have a root canal done and was given antibiotics, i was also using Listerine Whitening... after reading this forum i came to the conclusion it could be a fungus infection, so i stayed away from all sugar and brushed my tongue after every meal i brushed it until it bled blood but to of no avail... after reading more of this forum i came across two people who claim to have found the cure (Tina_in_OC) and (Mitchj532). Tina came to the conclusion she was being mercury poisoned from peroxide reacting with her fillings, Mitch used salt water to kill the fungus i think. Since i had a root canal done with a filling and used Listerine Whitening witch contains peroxide i decided to stop using it and all peroxide product and use salt water instead... after 3-5 days it vanished! since i was not sure witch did the trick i experimented. stopped using salt water and peroxide and started to eat lots of sugar foods and drinks with out brushing my tongue for a week, nothing... used Listerine Whitening and other peroxide products came back in 3 days! stopped and it went away although salt water does seem to help in the process for reasons unknown... so all along i was getting mercury poisoning witch made sense because as long as i had an orange tongue i had this metallic taste in mouth... i just want to say thank you to everybody in this forum who together have accomplished what no doctor or dentist could or even care to! I hope my little experiment will shed some light for the others on this forum... best of luck! CURED!
Guess what?? I have the dreaded OT too, and I've had it for a few months. I saw this forum and it is great, truly great! Thanks for all of the posts, because there is a list of so many possible cures.

Has anyone thought about the psychological damage - you can't kiss anyone, open your mouth when you laugh, feel like you're diseased or about to get cancer of the mouth or throat. And the gagging when I brush it away is terrible too. The eyes water and I learned never to brush after eating. I'll be back when I find a cure for this thing, but it is vile.
Mine showed up after wisdom teeth removal......seems it is a trend after oral surgeries....took antibiotics, and I use Listerine Whitening......hmmm
In February of this year I posted this comment:  Here it is again so you don't have to page back -...then I'll finish up with my new story.

To: orange tongue sufferers

So now it is 11/15/09 and my orange tongue does not seem to be so bad.  It is only lightly orange and not so noticeable...it's been about a year since I first noticed it.  But here's the odd thing - it seems to have moved up into my nasal passages.  Every morning on waking I have to blow my nose and sometimes it is very orange-ish...ish!  Scabs that bleed also break off inside my nose.  My nose always feels really dry as well, as if there is no mucous membrane up there anymore. I tend not to be a big worrier but maybe I should worry.  There has been one GREAT result of this new development and that is I haven't had a cold for about 9 months and as an elementary teacher I usually get everything the kids have.  I've mentioned this to my doctor a couple times (when I had my general yearly check and again for a flu shot) and he always dismisses it.  Probably because he hasn't a clue what it is.  I wanted to ask you OTers out there - Do you also have the toenail fungus? (I do) It could possible be connected, what do you think?
Count me in as another Orange Tongue victim!  I noticed it about 2 months ago.

Quick background....I had my gallblader (gallbladder) out in July.  I take a Centrum vitamin daily and Effexor.  I do have a sweet tooth and eat something sweet daily.  Also, I'm about 50 lbs. overweight.

I was using Listerine Whitening but stopped and switched to Scope (not whitening).  

I had a root canal 2 weeks ago and was taking penecillin for 7 days.  During the time I took the antibiotic the OT went away as soon as I stopped, it came back.

I do have some mercury fillings.  I did bring up the OT to my dentist who said to check with the family doctor.  Said he never saw it before.

I haven't really noticed bad breath.  

I'm going to try to the salt water as suggest above.  I would think a young dentist would really want to research this and come up with a cause/cure.  

Will post my results.  
a few responses to your posts, (I have had the orange tongue for over a year now)

first jacksmom, I want to say that I was taking effexor for a while too, but i started it a long time before the OT appeared.

xcskigirl says "There has been one GREAT result of this new development and that is I haven't had a cold for about 9 months and as an elementary teacher I usually get everything the kids have.  I've mentioned this to my doctor a couple times (when I had my general yearly check and again for a flu shot) and he always dismisses it.  Probably because he hasn't a clue what it is."
This is VERY interesting, because I used to have chronic sinus infections and get sick fairly often, however, since I noticed the orange tongue over a year ago I have not gotten sick or had any sinus infections once.
Coincidence?? You guys tell me, have you had some sort of strange immune system boost since the OT occurence??

Another thing to throw in here, perhaps it is irrelevant, but since I noticed the OT, I have these strange headaches that will appear sporatiaclly and usually last on and off for a few days. The headaches are directly behind my left eye and in the back of my head, it feels like someone is piercing a sword straight through the back of my head through to my eye, I thought it might be cluster headaches, since they are exactly what people describe as cluster headaches, but are not nearly as crippling or painful as cluster headaches are supposed to be.
Has anyone else experienced something similar since onset of the OT??
It sounds to me as if you are suffering from migranes (migraines).  I get migranes (migraines) usually around my cycle but have been for about 16 years  but they did get better after I gave birth; so they're primarily hormonal.

The other thing I have in common is that I too have not been sick with a cold, etc. and I usually get a really bad sinus infection as fall approaches, mostly in September and so far nothing.  Now is this due to the OT or because I've been more careful because of the swine flu, etc. and wash my hands more etc.  Who knows....

I have not been very good about remembering to do the salt rinse although I did do it one night and the next morning my tongue looked a lot better.  I will try to remember to do it 3 nights in a row and see what happens.

One last thing, my tongue does not get worse as the day goes on, it actually seems to go away, it's bad in the morning when I wake up.  Hmmmmmm.

Again, I wish sooo bad that a doctor would take this seriously!
I'm amazed at how many people are saying their doctor doesn't take them seriously. It's atrocious. I had to practically beg my doctor to treat me and he eventually prescribed me a 5 day course of MOXICLAV DUO FORTE and FUNGILIN LOZENGES and guess what - MY ORANGE TONGUE IS GONE! But it was a long road to get here and I still check every day to make sure it hasn't come back. Seriously guys, don't give up, make your doctor listen to you.
http://www.mercurypoisoned.com/
http://www.y2khealthanddetox.com/mercfillings.html
I agree with many of the other commentators that the orange tongue is probably due to a change in mouth wash, toothpaste, or cough suppressant. I started using a 'Ricola' honey flavored cough suppressant recently and changed mouthwash.I have been using the same toothpast for over three months so it can't be that. But the mouth rinse "Act Restoring" and cough drop "Ricolla honey flavored" are the most recent additions to my daily routine.
Since a common issue with most of the posts is that we all have a cough to begin with, it is very possible that the cough drops we use or something to that effect is the reason for the orange tongue. I should also mention that I used the crest whitening strips about three weeks ago and I have been religously taking the cough drops every day. The orange tongue developed about a week ago.
My OT went away for a while  but came back again. I took azithromycin (Z-pack) for unrelated condition and the OT went away again. Then came back after the antibiotics. Infectious disease doctor recently prescribed Magic Mouthwash. I swish it and swallow it 3 x a day. Been about a week and noticing slight improvement, not nearly as thick or orange. Doc says OT is probably a type of thrush. Will post more after finishing the mouthwash regimen (another couple of weeks).
I have had it for several months. I have several stomach related problems. I had a gastric bypass about 8 years ago. I throw up about 1-2 times a month due to not chewing well enough. I thought maybe the tongue problem had something to do with my stomach. I have not taken any antibiotics recently. But about a month ago, I noticed an occasional belch that tasted like burnt bacon. I get it even when my stomach is empty. I was wondering about H.Pylori infection. Anyone know if there is an orange tongue involved?
similiarities I have with other posts:
orange tongue of course
I also used a tooth whitening product before the OT appeared (SCARY) Colgate, "simply white" clear whitening gel. I hope I dont have mercury poisoning from my old fillings now- as the peroxide in the product leaches mercury out of fillings, someone said. That is terrifyinG! Maybe why I have been  feeling  a bit sick?
ears playing up too
fevers (maybe just hot sweats from menopause)
stress
got aches in right leg joints that feel like old age or something as they get worse as day goes on
I live in SA, 47. lots of good air here!! questionable water quality though.
Hello again fellow OT victims, it's me--long time OT victim checking back in. Going on a year and 4 months with the Orange Tongue, still no new discoveries.
I have a question though for everyone, I'm wondering if it is relevant:

Does anyone here, by chance, eat a lot of processed or instant meals or food straight from packages? Most of my diet is like that, I am wondering if this is the case with any other OT sufferers??
I believe my OT issue arose from Crest Whitening Rinse and it seems that these whitening rinses are more often than not a culprit. And i agree with D1961 about the mental aspects of not being able to kiss anyone, etc. Last time i looked at the bottle (last night) there were no warnings about any side affects. Might be time to call my lawyer.  The added stress of my tongue is starting to really get to me and my wife for that matter.
I'VE CURED MY ORANGE TONGUE!!  NATURALLY! NO ANTIBIOTICS, BIOPSYS, TESTS, DOCTOR VISITS ETC.

Thanks to this forum, I came across two other people that had success in curing their orange tongue by mouthwashing/gargling with warm water and Grapefruit Seed Extract.

The Stuff Works!..   I put 10 drops in a 6 oz glass of warm water and rinsed my mouth multiple times..  After the first dose I saw a noticeable difference..  Did it 2x the next day and by the end of the day my OT was gone. Continued another day (3 days total / 6 rinses) and I have no sign of it whatsoever.

Grapefruit Seed Extract is a natural antibiotic, antivral, antifungal.. etc.. VERY POTENT>> DO NOT TRY TO RINSE WITHOUT MIXING INTO WATER.

Hope this helps!!
I have had an orange tongue for a couple of years now.  
When it's here it's bright orange and I notice it at it's strongest in the mornings - I brush my tongue and it goes away - then it comes back again later on in the day.  I have had a span where the OT went away - not sure why or what I did differently, but it's back again.

When I went for my physical this week I showed my Dr - he asked me a few questions and wrote out a script advising that he feels it might be due to acid reflux.  I am filling the prescription tonight and will keep everyone posted.

I did a little research into acid reflux and heartburn and wow....  do I ever fit the symptoms.  I looked into the whole Acid/Alkaline diet thing - and reviewed what end of the spectrum my diet would be - and it's mostly acidic...  
There are a lot of questions I had answered.  The more I read into it, the more I feel I might have figured it out!  I have posted some of the links I found and emailed to myself below.  

I'm not saying this is the answer for everyone/everything - but it sure seems to answer some of the concerns coming from above too.
i.e. processed foods are harder to digest = your stomach produces more acid
If you eat before sleeping and don't give yourself enough time to digest the food = more acid produced -- and I definitely don't give myself the 1-3 hours that they suggest within the info I found (depending on which one you read).  It also suggests going for a walk or standing after you eat to aid in the digestion.  
This would explain my orange tongue being stronger in the mornings - I have so much acid in my stomach trying to digest everything in the nighttime that it comes up and into my throat.
And I apparently eat a lot of the trigger items too... wow.

I ordered my lunch differently today I'll tell you!  lol

If this is indeed the problem then I have to completely change my eating habits, start exercising more (apparently being even a little overweight can trigger acid reflux), stop stressing /remove myself from stressful situations (i.e. my current job! haha... would be nice - but impractical)    ;)  

Anyhow - I don't know if this helps anyone - but I hope it does.  I had read this column before and thought about what people had said...
and I believe there may be many reasons for this same thing -- but maybe this just might be one of them.

Once again - I will keep the masses informed if the prescription for Prevacid works for me... even if it's temporary...
Thanks for reading my novel - lol  :)

http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm

http://www.refluxremoval.com/acid-reflux-diet-the-best-way-to-be-acid-free/

http://heartburn.about.com/cs/dietfood/a/heartburnfoods3.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2302437_pick-safe-foods-acid-reflux.html
Thought I would update after my last post/novel ...   :)

Well so far so good on the Prevacid -  My VERY Orange Tongue has seemed to subside at least for the meantime... i've been taking it just under a week so far.
I have also attempted to change my diet a little - I have been enjoying using the food tracker to see/admit where I have been going wrong too.
I have been suffering from my orange tongue for over a year and a half now, you may go back and see some of my very old posts on here and see things I tried and didn't have success with.

Well..
I HAVE FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER

After a year and a half of having an orange tongue every day, I decided to start smoking marijuana. I have smoked 1-5 times a day for 30 days now, and I am happy to report that since I started smoking there has been
NOT A SINGLE SIGN OF THE ORANGE TONGUE!!!
Smoke kills these orange bacteria!

Of all the things I tried, who knew it could end up going away through such a convenient, wholesome, natural way.

Good luck to all fellow sufferers! I will be checking back in periodically to see everyone's progress; I feel attached to everyone since I have been posting here for so long.

Is anyone else a smoker of anything? Notice any difference with the tongue?
Update:
Orange Tongue is back again...
It came back when I started eating sweets again.
Turns out it stayed away because I was eating so much protein and cutting down on fat intake.
The orange can only feed on carbohydrates and lipids.
I haven't posted for awhile so thought I would just chime in.  If you reread all of these posts it is quite possible that the orange tongue may have multiple causes.  Acid reflux might be one, silver amalgam fillings another, but I am betting that a majority of us have a yeast infection.

If you have ever seen a baby with a thrush infection (a yeast infection) on his tongue it looks like this only not orange.  This is probably a new form of candida (yeast).  This explains why you get it after antibiotics because the antibiotics kill off the bacteria which would normally kill off the yeast.  Yeast is a fungus.  ''

This also explains why if you cut out sweets (or all carbohydrates) the orange tongue goes away because the yeast need sugars to live on.  The American diet is loaded with sugar and many of our current health problems are a result of too many simple (not complex as in vegetable carbs) carbs.

One thing to research is "yeast infections in the body" and see if you fit into that category as well.  I have learned that a systemic yeast infection can cause many different illnesses from toenail fungus to rashes.  Look it up and cut back on sweets, white bread etc and see what happens.
Grapefruit Seed Extract (liquid)

I initially posted almost exactly one year ago thinking I had cured my Orange Tongue.  At the time I had my Orange Tongue for a couple of month and was rinsing my mouth out daily with Chlorhexidine in the lead-up to getting a tooth pulled.  The Chlorhexidine actually eliminated my Orange Tongue and I assumed that I was cured.  Unfortunately, the Orange Tongue came back after I stopped taking the Chlorhexidine and I've been dealing with it for the past year unsuccessfully.

My most recent attempt at a cure began several days ago when I began taking Grapefruit Seed Extract in liquid form.  The results have been dramatic (in a good way).  Three times a day I've been taking a half-cup of warm water and diluting 10 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract then sloshing it around/gargling for several seconds then swallowing.  I have not had any Orange Tongue since beginning the regiment 4 days ago.

My previous experience with Chlorhexidine was that it prevented the Orange Tongue from developing but did not provide a permanent solution.  I plan on continuing this current Grapefruit Seed Extract regiment for a full week and then seeing whether or not it permanently addressed the problem, or like Chlorhexidine, only prevents the Orange Tongue from developing whilst taking the tonic.

I shall report my findings in another couple of weeks.

The long and short of our problem is that the “good bacteria” in our mouths was killed off after a round of antibiotics and as a result, the “bad” (Orange) bacteria has been able to flourish, unchecked due to the good bacteria being killed off.  Hopefully the Grapefruit Seed Extract will kill off the bad bacteria and allow the good bacteria to re-colonize and re-flourish… at least that’s my hope.
I have had OT for about a month and cannot find a solution nor can anyone tell me what what it it...A straight forware answer of what it really is, I am 34 (f), I am a vegaterain, run 2 to 5 miles a day. I havent been sick, I havent changed my diet, I take a multi-vitamin on a regular basis, I do a detox at least once a year and go on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, I dont eat organic but a lot of fruits and vegetables, not a whole lot of carrots and this has been my routine for the last 5 years. All of a sudden I get OT....how is that possible? I am not an unhealthy person in the least.
Still have the OT...now it appears to be contagious because my 9 yr. old son has it....not really as bright an orange color as mine but the only way he could've got it by our toothbrushes touching....we don't drink after each other and obviously no open mouth kisses....I'm no longer on Effexor but still take a daily vitamin (Centrum).

I got a script for Nystatin from the Dr.....will let you know if that was successful.

I live in PA by the way......where is everyone else from??
My baby has had fungus (probably Candida, but it couldn´t be tested..) from she was born - she´s now 8 months old, and now her tongue is no longer white, but suddenly she has a "hairy" spot far beneath wich is very orange! The only thing that has changed lately is that she now eats pourage, fruit and dinner meals (including carrots - but not much). No sugar, but ofcourse fruit sugar. Nystatin only pushes it back a little, but it comes right back again, so we gave up using it some months ago. She is often constipated..

We use soda water and bacterial cultures (with fruit sugar) daily. I have noticed that the orange isn´t there in the morning, but after the soda water and bacterial cultures, it is there. I suspect the sugar in this, is colouring her fungus.. I´ve been on a no sugar and yeast diet the last couple of months - which truly helps my nipples. Also use clotrimazole on these (which is not dried off before I nurse, because it is supposed to be harmless).

My immune system has been terrible during pregnancy and to this time. Often stomach trouble. We by the way also use soy lecithine against clots (? reoccuring red breasts with fever. Don´t know the english term for it.)

Will call our doctor and see if he has any conributions (I doubt it!)..
My tongue has also turned orange with a thick pasty coating.  I recently started taking doxycycl for roceacea and that is the only medication I take.  I have not taken the medication for the last two days and the color and coating on my tongue is fading.  
Viewing 1-200 comments: