Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Otitis media with fluid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Otitis media with fluid

More than a month ago, I was in office when I felt dizzy and weak. I went to the doctor and she said I had BPPV and that it should go in 2 weeks. It didn't go and I developed some ear blocking and popping..and at the next doctor's visit they said it was a Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. After this I took nasal steroids and oral steroids. But it didn't seem to help with the dizziness at all. It was always a mild dizziness, and I never felt like I was going to fall down or pass out.

About a week ago, I contracted a cold and got on a flight. My ear completely closed up and the doc now says I have otitis media with fluid behind my ear. I am on antibiotics but my dizziness has gotten much worse. It is worse than what I had for the month before. Also, there is pressure behind my ears and some weird noises when I swallow. I have an ENT appointment next week and a CT scan scheduled.

Can anyone tell me
1) How long for the fluid to drain out of my ears?
2) What could be the possible causes of the original dizziness?
3) Will I be able to take a flight again?

It's been very frustrating and scary. I'm afraid this may never go away.

Thanks for your replies.
I wish I knew but these are questions the ENT will be able to answer. I know this is scary but I'm sure they will figure it out.

Will you please let me know how the appointment went with the ENT?

Good luck,
melissa