Ear, Nose & Throat Community
PLEASE READ: Redness above tonsil area & blister like lump on tissu...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

PLEASE READ: Redness above tonsil area & blister like lump on tissue

This is sort of a long question, but I want to state all the facts and I'm not sure they are all related. Its been a weird sequence of events. Back in early December, my wife and I were on vacation visiting her family in Mexico. While there, I ate at many taco and torta stands because they are so delcious. I then came down with what appeared to be stomach flu or food poisoning symptoms, I threw up, had chills, extreme exhaustion, and couldn't eat. This lasted about 2 days. Then the day we left (3 days after I recovered from the stomach flu) I came down with an extremely sore throat and what appeared to be a sinusitis like condition. I could hardly breathe through my nose, I was blowing out yellow mucus, and felt miserable. I have battled sinus infections in the past and can usually recognize the symptoms. My throat was also really red around the tonsil area, in the arches above the tonsils.  When we got back home to the US, I called and made an appointment at an ENT clinic. I didn't want to wait the 8 days it took to get an appointment, so I went to my primary Dr. He prescribed me a 5 day antibiotic pack or Azithromycin. My sinus cleared up and the intense pain in my throat subsided. By this time my ENT appointment came so I went to the ENT and explained all this. I showed her the antibiotic pack and she said she thought I was on the road to recovery and was not concerned by my redness symptoms since I didn't feel pain by that point. She said if I didn't feel pain, then I shouldn't worry but if the pain returned to come see her.  The problem is that the redness in the arches above my tonsil area has not gone away. In addition, since I first noticed the redness in December I have also had a bulbous lumpy mass of tissue slightly larger than a tic tac mint on one side on the outer tonsil tissue area. There is no real pain when I swallow but I do feel some discomfort from the lumpy mass when I swallow. I went back to this same ENT on 1/25 because the redness didn't go away and the lumpy mass was still there. She says she didn't see anything that concerned her and that she sees lots of mouths and my mouth is not in the shape that would cause her concern. I came away feeling like my 1/25 appointment was a waste of time. She was not at all concerned about the lumpy mass. I look in the mirror every morning and evening to see if my arched above the tonsils have changed at all and they have been red for over 2 months now. Has anyone experienced this? Can someone give me a clue what this is and what I can or should do about it?
My daughter just went thru a weekend with a mild sore throat that turned into a painful earache, she is 22.  Long story short, she went to emergency, sent her home with pain pills. At this point we knew they had no idea what to do!  Called ENT on Monday and by this time there was a hole in right tonsil.  Dr. explained that it was a tonsil stone/ infection that could have gotten larger but by probing the tonsil they extracted a  mucus build-up that was trapped in the tonsil.  Her doctor explained that when he first went into practice there was a lump the size of a ping pong ball that was in a man's tonsil.  He probed it and drained the mucus and cleared up the lump.  I hope you find a solution to your lumpy mass.  
I have had the same type of thing i came down with a horrible cold and i have picked up this horrible throat infection it seems its hard to swallow and my tonsils are blistered i am constantly sneezing and coughing up flem (phlegm) im 16 and i saw my doctor he put me in for a blood test to see if its glandula Fever but i dotn think it is as im not tired im constantly active its just my throat hurts and my sinus are blocked any suggestoins :)
what did you find out about your throat ?
I am 33 year old female, and I have had sore throats/tonsil problems throughout my entire life. Doctors have always told me that if they removed my tonsils the infection would just go somewhere else. When my tonsils would flare up, I was told dont eat sugar it weakens the immune system.
I remember being so sick at one point when I was 22.
Now that I am older and know my body better, I am better able to stop infections from starting. I notice that when I don't get enough sleep for a few nights in a row, or I am eating an unbalanced/unhealthy diet, my throat starts getting soar. For me its a sign that my immune system is down.
When this happens, I try to slow down, get plenty of rest, and fortify my body with vitamins and minerals.
I hope that helps in a small way. :)