Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pain in face when airplane landing
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pain in face when airplane landing

I have MS and Trigeminal Neuralgia and I recently took a long trip on an airplane (8 hours).  When the plane was descending every time (5 landings) I had an excrutiating pain in my right side of my cheek which subsided once the plane had landed.  I am wondering if this could be a sinus problem or if it could be trigeminal neuralgia?  I have no other symptoms of sinus problems...i.e. feeling congested, runny nose.  I have CÖPD and Asthma as well but they are under control with medication.  Any information you can provide would be very appreciated.  

Rena705
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1337001_tn?1276887441
Hi,

You have experienced most probably a sinus baro trauma, this usually happens when there is sudden pressure variation inside the sinuses leading to excruciating pain. It is not necessary that you should have sinusitis to experience this sort of pain. If it were to be trigeminal neuralgia it will be a sharp shooting/jabbing/burning sort of sensation. It triggers with touching, chewing or brushing the teeth.

Regards
OHNS2010
Blank
When the plane lands, do this to help with ear pressure.
Breathe in,
Close  your nose(nostrils) with thumb and forefinger,
Blow out 3 times keeping the mouth and nose closed (the cheeks will blow outwards).
You will notice the ear drum moving.
Do this only once per day.
Blank
There is a new, drug free  product I found online that relieved my ear pain on the last 3 flights,its called captain eds earqualizer. Gum ,candy didnt work,blowing and pinching your nose can rupture ear drums. I listen to music on every flight so ear plugs not an option.I wont fly without them.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ear, Nose & Throat Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank