Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pain under ear - lymph

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pain under ear - lymph

I have had this for more than 2 years, occasionally I get pain under my left ear,  like a dull pain.. Sometimes i can have it for a few seconds 3 days in a row, or for an hour or more 1 dayin a month, or just 2 times in 3 months...
So a lot of variety and not a steady pattern or anything.

It is right under my ear, so not a few cm's under it.

What can this be?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain could be due to a swollen lymph node. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. The pain could also be due to inner ear infections which can cause mastoiditis. The pain could sometimes be due to temperomandibular (TMJ) joint disorders like arthritis. You will need to consult your primary care physician for further evaluation, who may then refer you to an ENT specialist if needed.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.