Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Painful bump in back of throat/tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Painful bump in back of throat/tongue

Let me first say that I had a sore throat/stuffy nose about 2 weeks ago and took some Halls cough drops every 2 hours as directed for about a week. I had a mini canker sore on my lip but that went away and now i have another mini canker sore on my lip but that's not an issue. I believe these canker sores are from the cough drops. I'm pretty sure I read that these cough drops can cause the canker sores. My main issue is now I have this painful bump in the back of my throat/mouth/tongue.

I've had this pain for about a week now and seems to be getting worse. I've googled what it could be but with no luck.  I can't see this bump but i can feel it and it seems like its where the tongue connects to the back side of my mouth near the tonsil on the right side of my mouth. It feels like something is stuck under/behind my tongue but its the bump. I also have a canker sore that I can see on my right tonsil. I'm not sure if the bump and canker sore on my tonsil are related or not. I also started getting an earache in my right ear about 2 days ago. The right side of my jaw has a slight pain too. I plan on going to the doctors on Monday if I'm still in pain. Could the bump and canker sore be from the Halls cough drops? Any help as to what it could be or how long this crap will last would be appreciated. It's annoying! thanks. Any questions please ask away..

I hope this is in the right place too. I just signed up so I haven't really looked around.

The bumps you are referring to are:
1. Hypertrophied lymphoid follicles at the base of the tongue (Lingual tonsils)
2. Lymphoid follicles over the back of the throat (pharyngeal wall)
Even though the bump over the base of the tongue and ulcer over the right tonsil are unrelated, the inflammation in either of these areas will cause you throat pain. The pain will definitely radiate to the ears because of the common innervations of the nerve supplying ear and the throat.

The ulcer might be because of lowered immunity, stress, acidity, vitamin deficiency and medicines.

I would like to suggest you to consume plenty of warm water, also do  povidone iodine throat gargles after meals and take anti-inflammatory  drugs(like Ibuprofen) and vitamin B-complex. Hope this would alleviate most of your symptoms.

Regards
OHNS2010
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to go out and get the products you suggested and try them out. Hopefully they work! thanks again