Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Painful tongue and soft palate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Painful tongue and soft palate

For the past 2 weeks I've have a painful problem. The back of my tongue has been the biggest issue. There is major swelling on one side of my tongue.. it hurts terrible to reach back and touch, let alone swallow. I've been having to spit out saliva because it hurts for bother swallowing all the time. It's different everyday, but lets say one morning it'll be the left side of my tongue that is swollen and painful...     and it will hurt the majority of the day. It'll settle down for an hour to where I'll forget about it and then the soft palate on the left side will have a hard painful lump in stead of my tongue.
It hurts to talk and I've started to became irritable when asked to repeat what I've said again and again.  This did happen to me 5 months ago and lasted almost all of January. I was prescribed  numerous different kinds of antibiotics, but nothing worked.  I was told it was a virus and was given painkillers and was told to wait it out. Now it's back! I can't live like this ALL the time!