Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pea sized lump CORRECTED POST

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pea sized lump CORRECTED POST

I have a movable, pea (or smaller) sized lump in (upper) front of my right ear and right on the area where you feel your jaw open when opening mouth wide. It cannot be 'seen'. No pain or change in size for at least 20 years. I found it years ago when massaging a sore jaw joint. It sort of feels like it's in a tendon and in front of the Tragus.

I have TMJ, use a night guard and actually broke 2 teeth loose from the bone about 6 years ago when I fell asleep during the Superbowl and wasn't wearing my mouthguard.

I have had NUMEROUS PET/CT's over the last 5 years for colon cancer and they were top of head to mid thigh and my oncologist specializes in head/ neck cancer so I'm not afraid of that. I also had a full mouth x ray this year, 3D xrays from under the jaw (when I convinced myself I had a clogged gland). Last dental exam was in December.

What might this be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, lymph glands can be palpable. Only nodes which are greater than 1 cm are significant. If the gland increases in size or gets painful then it needs to be evaluated. Otherwise simply wait and watch. Regards.
Preauricular lymph node?  Remained size of 1/2 pea (flat) for all these years?

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thank you Doctor.  I've developed horrible hypochondria since colon cancer and even tho I've had this shotty node for 20 years, now it scares me. Thank you for your kind and reassuring answer.
This is less than half that size.  :-)

From birth to age 54 I had constant ear infections.  Treatment when I was a small child was rupturing the ear drum.  Last ear infection was 10 years ago. (Stopped using anti histamines).