Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pea sized lump on back of neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pea sized lump on back of neck

Three weeks ago i discovered a pea sized lump on the back of my head on the right side. At first the lump was not painful but now that three weeks have passed the side of my head seems to have a constant burning/pain sensation. The lump seems to have not changed in size nor has it moved. every now and then my back and neck will hurt, but the burning is constant and annoying. I have visited 2 doctors, the first felt of the area and said it felt like a torn tendon and told me not to worry about it. Two weeks later i decided to visit another doctor he said that he wasn't sure what it was but didn't look like anything bad (This guy was a joke). As of date i have had no test ran on me and i am in perfect health no other symptoms exist. 1 year ago i began having pain in my arms and back, I visited two different neurologist and had two MRIs of the lower and mid back. Both said everything looked good and to just see if it went away over time. I no longer have the arm or back pains but I'm  not sure if this is related to my current problem. My question is, Has anyone else out there ever experienced this or know what may be going on. What general direction do i need to start heading to solve this problem, my main concern right now is if this problem is severe AKA cancerous/tumor i don't want to waist time. Thanks for your help!
Tags: head, Cancer, Neck, Pain
When I was younger I had gone to the doctor for lumps on my neck that hurt a little if you pushed on them (still have them).

We didn't find out till a while after he was checking me for Lymphoma, which apparently I do not have.

I did not have constant pain in them, but since you do I encourage you to be persistant.

Do not worry to much, it could be nothing (just like mine ended up being) or a torn tendon.
I have been told that cancer or cancerous tumors do not cause pain. If this growth gets big enough to press on any nerves then that would cause symptoms like burning pain,numbness,pins & needles. Some one should have you go for a MRI or some other test. Search the sites for your symptoms and bring info to a different doctor. One who cares. Warning, some doctors are bothered by doctoring yourself though the web. Use info if he is about to brush you off. Good luck. Anxiety can also screw up your breathing and cause pins & needles. Watch your breathing, just in case.
This could be as simple as a muscle knot - which I get all the time due to tension in the neck. Pea size and bigger, along the spinal column at back of neck as well as along the sides of the neck.  They hurt, and burn, etc...I have gone to a physio therapist, who has worked them out.  They do come back, and will do so if you have neck tension..(stress, computer work, not standing straight, etc...) I still get them, usually from sitting in the driver seat of my car for too long.  I have learned how to work them out, but I still have one on top of my spine, back of my neck, that no matter what I do, cannot work it out..
Regards!
I have a lump on the back of my throat(on the inside). I too am worried about it being cancerous, i have seen two doctor's about it and both had nothing helpful to offer. They both told me it was nothing. I think that you like me should just try to find another Doctor, they might have better answers.
2 days ago I checked my back of my neck and found a lump node, and before 1 month I had some pain on the same side of my neck, maybe the pain was due from stress. But now before the lump showing I had similar pain on my neck, but then the lump showed, I had no symptoms of fever or anything. But I'm feeling that my ears r blocked from time to time, I used to have ear irritation before. And my head feels kinda dizzy, and I just saw another lump on the back of my neck but on the left side. So there are 2 lumps right now one is located behind my head on the neck below the hairline the first is on the right and the second is on the left. I went to the doctor she said its nothing to worry about, its probably an infection. My head used to have severe pain but now it stopped but it has pressure pain, its hard to explain. But after the first lump showed the next day I felt my throat soar and I was sneezing a lot and kinda heavy breathing but not sever. What should I do?
1954Beau regarding the muscle knot, how do u know its an muscle knot not an enlarged lymph node? My doctor told me mine is a lymph not but I wouldn't trust that doctor, cause she is the health center school doctor most of the time they are not that good.

So anyone please tell me I've been having pressure pain near my ears and feeling my ears blocked. Soar throat feeling coming and going. Feeling my head hot. please e-mail me on houssam_khan***@**** for information
Update:
Went and saw a different doctor about the lump on the back of my head about a week back. Just wanted to update everyone on what he said and maybe able to relieve some stress if you have the same problem.

Felt the area and listened to my complaint... Ran a blood test and everything looked normal. I have had 4 sinus infections/colds this winter so he contributed it to a swollen lymph node. He said these can last up to 3 to 4 months and can be  very painful.

So i guess i will wait and see what happens, since my blood work appears to be fine i will wait to investigate this further. One strange thing i did notice is when i feel a cold coming on the area hurts twice as bad as usual so it maybe a lymph node.  
I have a knot on the right side of my neck (in the back) also the dizzy feelings from time to time. I have a cold/sinus infection right now, too. Years ago when that knot first showed up, a doctor told me it was from the sinus infection. Another problem I have is the hollow sound in my right ear. I am attributing this to sinus problems, but I am going to the doctor tomorrow just to make sure. We are going on vacation soon, and I want to make sure I dont have to take antibiotics while I am there. I would be curious to know what  the doctor told you since we have so many of the same symptoms...
I had a pea sized bump on the back of my neck a few years ago.  It just popped up out of nowhere and after a little while it hurt to move my neck from side to side.  It turned out to be a swollen lymph node, but my doctor did a simple (local anesthesia) surgery and removed it.
No problems since.
There are LOTS of lymphnodes in the neck. Ones on the side or just above the clavicle need to be biopsied. Lumps in the back can be from scalp infections or follicle infections. I believe that even a bad case of seborrhea can cause it (dandruff). See a dermatologist if its in the back and an ENT if on the sides or in front. HTH
i have a rather large lump above the right ear. I does not appear to be bruised or discolored but hurts to gentle touch. For the last four days ive been fighting severe headaches and the pounding from the headaches are in this lump. Im about to see a doc but does anyone know what might be happening.
thanks
I have a pea sized lump behind my right ear for a few months.  It's starting to grow bigger.  It hurts when I touch it.  But mostly hurts after I shower, I feel like my head and ears are plugged with water.  I get sore thoats off and on and sometimes runny nose like having a cold but it comes and goes.  At night when I lie on my side I feel like theres fluid draining from my ear.  Sometimes I feel my ear is plugged.  Sometimes my left ear feels sore, and plugged but I have no lump on that ear.
Did you ever figure your problem?  Let me know
I have had a lump at the base of my neck in hairline for years.If I massage the area it would get smaller..so one doctor said it was not cancer since it gets smaller and sometimes goes away.I get a burning pain there and now I have one on the other side (left side) this has been going on for years.It is like a brain freeze pain that never goes a way.I am going to the doctors tomorrow so maybe I will find out more...I always thought it may be sinuses because one day my son told me to get a nose spray for my sinus problems and when I took it I had an instant burning pain in the back of my neck on both sides.Good luck to all of you and hope you all find a solution soon.
i have the same exact problem when you went back to the docter what did he say really would like to know because when i take a sinus pill my knot gos away for a while then comes back pleas let me know what he result were when you went back thank you saminthia
I have a pea size lump on my left back side of my neck in my lymph node and on the right side feels like 2 peas one in front of the other and I found a pea size lump on the right backside of my head when the right side happened it was very painfull but now doesnt hurt at all Im at a lost and my doctor is never in when i am available so I dont know what to do.. or maybe Im scared and opinions?....Laurie in Ohio
i just found out i have this lump two days ago. it is right near my right ear, right where the ear connects to the head. i can move it and it is a little painful. I checked the symptoms for salivary gland cancer but i don't have any of them. I don't have any swelling and no pain on the right side of my face, it's just when i move around the lump. I don't know if it is a lymph node because i don't feel sick or anything.  It could be a cyst because they can form in empty spaces between muscles and skin tissues and the lump feels it is right under my skin. If any of you can share your opinions or advice i would appreciate it.
have the same symtoms (symptoms) as the two of you. Had my lump for 6 years. Finally went to a new set of doctors and took a CT Scan. my lump is a lymph node. It burns and throbs and sends a mild pressure pain all the way to my forehead. really tired of all this pain.
want to know what your doctor tells you.
Saminthia, can you please go into more detail about your symtoms (symptoms)?
thanks
I just noticed a small lump behind my right ear.  I do have this to come up every now and then but after several days it usually goes away.  Does anyone know what it is?  Thanks!
I have a weird bump on the right side of my head towards the back. It hurts alot, even worse when I press on it. The pain goes away for a short amount of time but always comes back and it hurts alot more then when it doesn't. I've also realized lately that there are beginning to be larger lumps all acorss that side of my head. Sometimes it causes my right shoulder to ache alot, my upperback as well. I've had MRI's & katscans more then once since I've had these issues, about 4 and a half years now. No one knows what it is!!! Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
     My wife just recently have the same problem's with you all..We even went to see and ER doctor who did a CT scan of the head and neck.  Results came out to be normal....but her pain in the neck persisted and oneday we notice that she had this nodule on the back of her neck.  At times her head feels like pounding and pain would radiate to her shoulders.  She's very worried about this.  Luckily my aunt from california, informed us that she had the same symptoms before having had chronic sinusitis for more thatn 30 years.  She then recommended us the solution...My wife right now feels so much better and her nodules on the back of her ears getting smaller.  We're hoping after a month or so...she would completely recover...If you're interested to know....email us at ***@****
I recently found a lump on my neck.  When I first noticed it, it was the size of a bean.  Now it's about the size of a marble, and located at the base of my hairline on the right side.  I have not been sick, have no sinus or ear problems.  My mother had hodgkins lymphoma, and I have heard that it is more common in siblings, but can it be genetically passed on to offspring?

She was 30 when she was diagnosed, and I just turned 23.
Your's sounds like a cyst.   Exactly what I have.  Same place, right side of my neck just below/in the hair line.   Last year (Nov 06) I had a small lump on the back of my neck which was a small marble-sized cyst, went in and had it removed it was not cancer.  Exactly a year later (Nove 07) I had another lump same spot, this time it was larger and growing much faster.  Again a "cyst" (I just had it removed last Wednesday, and should get the results Thursday) this time it was 4 times the size and pointy-egg shaped.  The Dr said they didn't get it all out so they come back often.  
I think most cancerous tumors and lumps are in the front or side of your neck!  I hope so I'm not in the clear just yet either....  But honestly your's is exactly what I've had... Good luck and keep us posted.  Oh and I dont' know about Lymphoma... My Grandfather has had it twice.... Not sure if it's genetic... Scary!
It's not cancer :)  I do have two swollen lymph nodes back there, but Dr. says no worries unless they are not gone in 3~4 weeks...  I'm so happy!  Hope everyone else's "lumps" are just lumps and not anything scary!  Prayers to everyone :)!

I just posted under scared silly postso I wont post again here, as it was rather long...

I am scared outta my mind...have been to pcp and she said it was a lymph node and it was normal...it went away and then came back and went away again...now its back...I am scared outta my mind!

I am wondering if I should have went to my ENT first? HELP! Any advice??

Thanks for reading!
hello my 11month old son had a swollen gland below his left ear we took him to the er and they said he had a ear infection in both ears but, didn't know what that swollen gland could be so we were happy with that doctor . So we took him to his pedictrian don't know if i spelled that right she did a strep thoart test and some blood test and they all came back normal. He did have a mild ear infection on the same side as the swollen gland so she gave us some amxocillin for him to take but, the gland hasn't gone down any he be on the med for two days how long does it usually take? We also took him to another doctor too and he said it probably just an infection this is my first child and I am just scared he doesn't have a fever or anything he just has that swollen gland should i be worried or just give the med time?
Hi, the simple thing to is to relax, you will be amazed how much stress has to do with the lump. 2nd if it still hurting do see a medical doctor. I had my lump for 3 months. I treated it by relaxing  with soft music, meditation, cold pack when it got warm and painful to touch. The lump is small now I have to press hard on my neck to find were it is. It does not go away but it did get smaller and the pain stopped. But if it does not get smaller please seek medical help.
yesterday after the full day shopping in cold windy day,i had severe pain in the back of my neck,left side.i found that there are three painful lumps i had fever also.now fever is gone but the painful lumps are still there,headache too.what shall i do?
by kendall711 feb 18, I have had neck problems since 2000,had a fusion at C5-C6,2004.steel plate was installed,Dr's have told me ,I have been diagnosed with Spasmodic Torticollis,What I question is the validity of that.Due to my neck does pull to the left,yet I have other issues I deal with.sinus problems,when I eat or drink something,sinus plugs up nose runs, I can fill up small garbage can daily with tissue. When I twist my neck certain way, I am able to dislodge food that gets caught in my neck throat area,have been to nose ear throat specialist,What a joke! when I tried to explain my symptoms,He was just to intelligent .Thought my explanation was off the wall.I have atrophy of my right side neck muscles,No one can give me a good expllanation where they went.This is very Painfull neck and shoulders area,Am not able to work.I have been to Mayo,Botox maximum,no releif.For pain tried morphine 30 mg daily no reduction of pain .Getting nervous any one else have any insight? this atrophy on right neck  muscle is significant.
I just noticed a hard lump on the left side of my neck towards the back.    I just noticed it  last night I have been really worried as I am posting this comment in the wee hours of the morning    It wasn't painful until I start pressing on it and now it is sore.   I heard that if a lump is hard,  they are more suspicious.    I did notice a small sore beside the lump.   I am hoping that it is simply an infection... I am going to make an appt with the doctor next week.
i have a small pea sized painful hard lump on the back of my head, on the left side, help what is it?
I have just noticed a pea size lump on the right side at the back of my daughters neck, she is only 6months old, never felt it before. She has for the first time got a cold and her head does slightly tilt to the right more (since birth), possibly could be lympth node, tension in neck? will be taking her to doctors for check up, all in all she seems in good health, just a bit of discomfort when I straighten her neck. :-)
I have just been to another website, relating to babies found with small lumps on back of neck/head.  Very interesting, a must read, go to   www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-52666.html
I just fund a small pea size lump just to the right of my neck about 1 inch under my chin. It is not sore - I feel fine and when I pinch the skin I can hold the lump in my fingers. I am calling my dr. tomorrow. Any advice out there??
Diana
Why do you say that because the doctor is "the school health center doctor" they are not "that good?"  I am a school nurse.  I also work in hospitals, nursing homes, home care, pediatrics, clinics, etc.  I am well educated and very thorough.  As are many nurse practicioners and PA's.  All doctors go through the same training until they start to specialize.  Usually I don't criticize others, but since you opened that door, how good are you?  If you have a "soar" throat you better catch it before it soars away through the sky.  That would be a sore throat.  So before you accuse someone else of being "not that good", take a little look closer to home first.
I noticed small lump on the back on my neck behind my right ear, it appeared after I got a bad cold and sinus infection. it is painful when pressed. thanks to everyone who posted here. the symptoms does seem to be linked to the sinus issue.
i went to the doctor in 03 about a couple lumps in my neck.  My doctor called them lymphoepithelial sists.  I actually had surgery on the biggest one located under my left ear but within a month of surgery it was back.  i went back to a new doctor shortly thereafter who instructed me to have some kind of scan, which i did.  I brought the images to him and miraculously, he said all the lumps were gone.  I thought this was strange because i could still feel them both with my fingers and by the dull pain they sometimes gave me when eating and swallowing.  Recently, i began having the most painful pinching sensation just behind my left temple. they are sporatic like hiccups and last about two seconds each.  two days after this pain started i woke up with a stiff neck.  i though i slept on it funny.  the next day when the pain and stiffness were still there i felt a little pea-sized knot under the big sist mentioned earlier. it was very tender to the touch. there was another one just like it on the back of my neck under the hair. On the third day, i had developed a little red sore.   it looks and feels like a burn but i'm fairly certain i havent gotten burned by anything.  this morning i have a litttle cluster of these red sores newly formed.  I have been under constant attack from these brain hiccups for four days, my neck constantly feels like its burning and tingling and is extremely stiff.
I have no ideas whats going on with this lump business but i hope to go to the dotor soon.  Any thoughts would help. thanks
please let me know what they said.  i found a pea sized lump under my chin(not around any bones) and it is freaking me out.  it does not hurt at all, but i am wondering what it could be.  thank you

ashley
In response to your post degrading soulz9 (original post below) ... the purpose of this post is to get advice and comfort about a symptom that is absolutely terrifying for many individuals. As a nurse you should be practicing compassion and empathy at all times, not just in your practice. Part of being a nurse is not to criticize an individual b/c of their beliefs or opinions even if it is personal to you. As a person in the medical profession you should do this at all times even on a medical forum.
In regards to your spelling correction... how much more arrogant can you be? You are not the school nurse I would want around my child.
I hope you have rechecked your attitude since November 08.

Original post by rn_tracy1_rn

HI, saw your posting when researching a similar problem. I came across this:
Toxoplasmosis - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis#cite_note-guar2-25) on Wikipedia.
Read through it if you can. It mentions the cysts, the flu like symptoms, dizziness, etc. It states that it comes from cat's. Being an owner of 4 cats you can image my thoughts on this discovery. I'm going to seek medical advice, as I would also recommend to you, but mention it to your Dr. if it sounds similar to what your experiencing. Hope I could help or at least eliminate a possible cause. Good-Luck!!
I have recently gotten a marble sized bump on the back of my head a few centimeters above my hairline, its extreamly painful and hard. I have been getting painful headaches since it showed up. I know its not a cyst because I've had close to four cysts this year and I know for a fact thats not what this is.
If anyone can give me some advice I would be very grateful.
Please write your congressmen and tell them that Doctors are not good Doctors when they fix and charge  and then say it looks fine.  And we still hurt.....after all the money is spent we are left broke and even more ill.
ive had a pea size lump in the back of my neck on the left side for years it dont hurt its hard i went to the doctor a few times about it and he just said dont worrie about it but now recently ive found anouther lump about the same size on the base of my spine has anyone got any ideas what it could be
hey,i hav a lump under my left ear where my jaw starts, its recently got a little bigger and sore when i poke it, deffo bigger thn the right side of my neck which seems fine also hav a soft painless lump on the left side of my neck behind my ear. had these lumps for over a year. i am 21 and quite scared thats its sumthing serious. would appreciate any advice. thanks xx
i got a bump on the back of my neck on the right side it hurts a lil i had a soar throat the morning before and i smoked a cigereette and played basket ball then i found i while scratchign bug bites what do i do am i gunna die
please help.
i decided to look up the symptoms. and this blog poped up, now.. im freaking out.
i have a lump on the right side of my head, which hurts when touched gently, one behind my right ear
one right underneath the hairline behind my head on the right side
two little ones behind my left ear.

i recently had an allergic reaction to mothballs, which was skin irritation. inffection was all over, the last place that still itches is my scalp.
scalp still itches, its been like 4 days now. and thats when the lumps poped up, was when tmy scalp began to itch.

somebody, anybody, if you know anything about this, please help. im trying to stay positive.=D
I got a horrible rash on the back of my neck after swimming at a hotel pool. I figured it was from the chlorine levels in the pool. I didn't think much of it but then I came down with pink eye. I haven't been anywhere to be exposed to it. Now I have a couple of lumps on the left side of my neck where the tendons that go down your shoulders are. I feel like I'm a mess and I can't seek medical help due to no insurance and no money. Please help.
I have had several issues lately. one being a lump just below my hairline on the right side. i was terrified it was something awful, and still not 100 percent that its not. But
what I found interesting that the doctor did say is. he assumed it was a lymph node. when he felt it he asked me if i had little bumps or been scratching my head. when i said yes. he said that when you have bumps on your head and you scratch them, that you can flare up lymph nodes. so he gave me antibiotocs to take ,a nd a shampoo for my head. he said if the itching stops it should help the lymph nodes go down... so i guess we will see.

I have also expereinced a bit of numbness... anyone else?

I have similar issues as well. I noticed a 2 pea sized lump just last night. One lump (left side of my neck) just 3 inches above the end of my collar bone and the other lump just an inch above almost inline to my other lump, few inches down the back of my ear. Mine are both a bit painful, hard & still. I told my hubby about it cause I'm worried it might be something serious cause a couple of weeks ago I feel dizzy but dizziness just come & go, also I've been complaining about my backache since I was in grade school. But I'm sure my backache is related to my scoliosis. Anyway, we went to the doctor this morning to have my lumps checked and I was surprised he said its nothing serious. It was just a cause from few mosquito bites on my back and few bites on my left and right arm. I had these red, itchy, swollen bites few days ago already which remains itchy every time I touch it unconsciously even now as I write this post, makes me  grrrrr... But I just noticed the 2 lumps last night. At first I was not so convinced with the doctor's opinion so I had to ask him more questions hoping to hear another answer of what it caused from but he is firmed about mosquito bites. When he pressed the big swollen mosquito bites on my back, I feel the pain from my lumps so its connected. So now I'm worry-free its nothing serious as I thought. The doctor supposed to prescribe me antibiotics but refrain from it as I'm afraid I'm 2 weeks pregnant. If I'm positive, antibiotics will harm my baby. I just chose to not take the antibiotics yet 'til after my PT. Since its my first baby-- so its better safe than sorry. I'll have to go back to the clinic in few weeks in case my lumps won't go away.
BTW: i also have "dry dandruff" but forgot to tell this to the doctor. I also experience numbness on my lower limbs but perhaps this isn't related to my pea sized lump. Hope this post helps.
hi i have found a lump on right side of neck. its causing fever headaches and now back pain mainly in shoulder blades and also i found a new lump this morning on left side of neck. does anyone know what these lumps are and why do they cause such bad fever? i have actually seen doctor about this but he gave me 2 types of tablets none worked and also have had blood test which they say had good results. so why do i feel  like crap? help me please someone,anyone.
I just found a lump on the right side of the back of my neck but it don't hurt at all I'm worried cause they they say cancer don't hurt   Think I should go to the doctor.  But any one else have this problem. Thanks Mandy.
I noticed a small size Pea lump on the back of my neck towards the base of my skull. It's been there for about a year and is now causing a burning sensation to my ear. Not sure what it is... I have been taking Exedrine Back and Body Pain medication.
I have a lump behind my neck ,its quite painful when you puch , also when i want to get up from bed my neck hurts,i find it difficcult to breath at night . I have noticed this lump for about 2- 4 months ,anad realy worried . Please can some1 advice what this can be .

Lymph node TB. I got it when i was in Africa and had to take TB medication for 6 months! Just a small lump at the lower back of my neck. Docter suggested minor surgery and i was tested for TB.