Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Permanently Swollen Lymph Node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Permanently Swollen Lymph Node

I am a twenty year old woman from New York. For at least the last few months I have had an eraser sized bump on the back of my neck down, a little, and to the right of my ear, only on the left side (my GP believes it is a lymph node). Today, I touched under my chin and noticed the lymph nodes there are also eraser sized.  My doctor did not believe the one on the back of my neck was a problem, because it has not grown and is not discolored or sore. It also does not throb or move.

I am beginning to get concerned because while the node on the back of my neck has stayed the same size, it has not gone away.  

I have type one diabetes (my specialist is comfortable with my control; I rarely have a BG  over 225), an anxiety disorder (which I take Paxil CR for), I have had mono, and I am a smoker (about a pack a day). I also get migraines, and lately have been random getting chills. For years, I have also gotten what I call
Lymph nodes are present in all of us. The size of them, as you describe, doesn't seem too large. If you keep pressing on them, this can keep them in a state of aggitation.

I have a Lymph node that is more prominent than the other, that I can feel (the right one.)  Doctors have always felt it when feeling my nodes and never have said a thing about it.  If your doctors are aware of it, I wouldn't worry about it.  They know what is swollen compared to what is normally just more prominent.  Based on your description it doesn't sound "swollen" to me.
Oh, and yes, I agree with what borninquisitive said; if you press on them too much they WILL stay aggitated.  I got into the habit of pressing and rubbing my prominent one without realizing it, while I would sit rubbing my neck or something like that, and I was really doing it a lot one day and it started to get tender and swollen and a bit sore.  I stopped and within a day or two it had gone completely back to normal.

Just leave them alone for a while and don't rub them so hard TRYING to feel a problem.
I think what everyone had to say is right.  try not touching the site for several days and see if the swelling goes down.  i think that if all lymph nodes stay eraser sized, they're probably ok, but definitely tell your doctor you've noticed others.  i don't want to worry you, but from what i'm learning in physician assistant school, it's the non-sore, immobile lymph nodes that you have to worry about.
look just get them checked out! I have constant swollen lymphnodes which are more serious than I thought, I ended up in hospital with a fever and was told I had streptococcus or strep throat which turned out infact a lot more serious for me, my doctor told me it was tonsillitis but I changed doctor and within minutes she asked to do a hiv test on me which turned out to be positive less than 2 weeks ago, now I have to deal with that, but swollen lymph nodes can be a little more dangerous than people realize! all I can say is get them checked and push for tests, read up on the causes of swollen lymphs and you may find the answer you are looking for!
sorry I don't mean to frighten you but this is how it all turned out for me and I had noticed them there for a while thinking they were nothing but harmless glands, how wrong I was! hope it all goes well for you!