Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Phlegm and constant coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Phlegm and constant coughing

I have been having constant phlegm in throat, with a annoying tickle that makes me cough for about almost 6 weeks now.  It started out as a virus.  Then it was a visious cycle after that of allergies, post nasal drip and asthma.  I have switched blood pressure medication now for the third time.  I just stopped taking the last one which the doctors told me I should start seeing relief as in just a couple of days.  I'm worried that this cough is not going to go away.  I've never had a cough this long or post nasal this long.  It has always cleared up.  Should I be concerned?  I am also on Lipitor.  After the virus and the blood pressure medication is when I noticed that it was taking way to long to get well.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your cough may not be related to your blood pressure medications. So, please don't discontinue without consulting your doctor. Is your asthma well controlled? Yoru persisting cough could be due to this. Also, if allergic triggers are worsening your symptoms, you might want to consult an allergy specialist.

First he may do a blood IgE levels to see if they are raised. Next, he will do skin testing. This test is painless, in which a very small amount of certain allergens are pricked into the surface of your skin. If you have allergies, just a little swelling will occur where the allergen was introduced.  Reactions occur within about 15 minutes.  If needed more sensitive intradermal tests will be used in which a small amount of allergen is injected within the skin. Based on this he may plan for immunotherapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.