Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Phlegm in my throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Phlegm in my throat

For the past year I have had the feeling, in which I have trouble swallowing, and I feel as if there is always phlegm in my throat and it feels as if my throat is swollen a bit any help would be awesome!!!
Tags: throat, phelgm
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.