Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Please Help...Feeling Confused and Miserable

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi I am here for any advice I can get please help! I had swollen lypmh nodes bulging out of my neck for at least 5 weeks in early 2007. At that time they did CBC, EBV, mono spot and all were negative. I was also place on antibiotics at that time which were of no help. Eventually I talked to an infectious disease doc at my work who strongly urged me to get a lymph node biopsy for cancer. The biopsy came back clear except for the catch all explanation on enlarged hyperactive lymph node. So the swelling went down and I felt better my lymph nodes were still big but it wasn't make my tired and sick feeling anymore. So almost a year and a half goes by and i once again have swollen lymph nodes more large than normal. They are directly under my jaw bone right anterior to the ears. I have had these for 4 1/2 weeks now and ever since they have become swollen I have had the following symptoms. Pain to entire neck not like stiff neck pain just very sore which makes the base of my head hurt and my neck feels like I can barely hold my head up. Alonng with that I am very tired, exhausted, and have a generalized weak, sick feeling. Sometimes I feel like I might have a low grade fever but haven't been able to take my temp at the time. I also have difficulty swallowing at times and my throat feels narrow from the inside especially just at the back of my mouth and start of my throat to mid way down my throat. I have this year been to my PCP's office 3 times and have been put on Augmentin 10 days without any help, had a CBC that was normal, a monospot that was normal, and a EBV that was normal, as well a 7 day course of Clarithromycin without help. My tonsils are slightly enlarged and have always been but some of the days while my lypmh nodes have been swollen this year I have slightly reddened and sore lymph nodes even while on antibiotics. I am not sure what to do I have felt exhausted daily since this lymph node swelling started and have decreased appetite the last few days-one week due to the general sick feeling. I have also seen an ENT for this. My ENT told me I would be miserable with the tonsilectomy and he didn't know if it would help. He would only reccomend it as pretty much a last ditch effort which I am just about to. He doesnt have any ideas because we have taken out a lymph node last year that was normal except being hyperactive and doesn't think taking another would show anything differently. One doctor told me he thought it was allergies but I am not sure if that causes lymph nodes to swell cause my ENT doctor said that allergies wouldnt cause my lymph nodes to swell. My PCP says that I could test my allergies to see what allergies I specifically have but I am already on Zyrtec and Veramyst nasal spray that seem to help for my allergies and that would not solve the lymph node problem. He also said I could test my immune system to see if its over reactive but that wouldn't help treat the symptoms. He said to talk to my ENT again and see what he thought about the tonsillectomy again and see if it would at all possibly help. Another ENT doctor that doesnt know my history said that she would push my PCP to send my to and ID doctor. Do you think a tonsillectomy would help my symptoms and the lymph node swelling, or do you think I should see ID even though my antibiotics have not helped and my WBC is not elevated. What about going to an allergist or immunologist do you think they may be able to relieve my lymph node swelling and symptoms. What do you think? Could you please give me any advice or help you can think of? Thanks so much I feel miserable and really want to figure this out.
I am looking for the answer to something similar. Do you have any of these symtoms (symptoms), tingling feet and hands, a bruise that has shown up when no injury occiuurred and did the stiff neck radiate into each shoulder blade? Becuase what I have is not being treated correctly I know it. I keep getting antibiotics and expecterant.
when laying down, i feel a fullness in my throat, like someone pushing on my windpipe,,, could this be lymph node problems?