Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Please help....It has been three years and counting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

About three years ago, I notice a lump by my right ear (in front of my ear lobe). I thought it was a huge pimple but nothing came out until I poked it with a pin. Now I have a lump with a deep whole in it. Roughly a year later, a second lump appeared above the orginal lump. Now I have, what I think is, a swollen submandibular gland (same side as my 'lumpy' ear), with a marble sized hard lump (possible lymph node) in front of it. A few weeks ago, I had gone to the doctor because a third lump was forming below my ear and he put me on an antibiotic because he believed it was a staff infection. The third lump has since gone away but all of my other syptoms (symptoms) are still present and have recently developed an ear ache, sore throat, head ache, and occational blurred vision all on my right side. This past year, I  also had many battles with staff infections . I have seen many different doctors (usually when a new symptom appears) but haven't been a diffinative answer as to what is going on. I have yet another appointment on scheduled which will, hopefully, provide an answer so I can be treated properly. In the mean time, I have conducted my own research on the internet. Unfortunaly , my research has scared me to the point that I have cried myself to sleep for the past week. I am a very scared, 27 year old, mother of two. If there is anyone out there who might have any idea as to what is going on with me or the right questions to ask at my next appointment please respond.  
27 F, M/o two, with three lumps, earache, sore throat, headache and occasional blurred vision, all on right side, scared, all developed over 3 yrs.

With swellings and lumps in the head and neck area, you have to visit your doctor, and if they don't respond well to treatment, they will refer you to ENT who is more familiar with the anatomy and illness in the area. Only he will be able to find out what they are, and what relation they may have with each other, and your earache and headache. The blurring of vision do not appear to be related to the lumps.

As such, if your swellings have subsided with antibiotics, first or second course, nothing to bother. All they may do is watch for change in size or appearance of swelling, and if they don't regress, intervene if  required. The first one with a hole seems to be a 'sinus', most probably a pre-auricular sinus. No big deal. Occasionally sebacious cysts also may have a similar appearance; no big deal.

Hope this helps

Best rgds,

Thomas Antony
yep, I think Thomas Antony hit it on the nail & your headaches etc are guilt by association, but not related...

AuD. CCC-A