Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Polyp in throat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Polyp in throat?

A few days ago I discovered a strange thing in my throat, a small lump - went to the doctor the next day and he confirmed it as a polyp attached to my tonsil tissue. I've looked this up and found only info for colon/nasal polyps so what kind is this then? Also I'm 18/female and normally in good health so is this uncommon to happen for someone like me?

The doctor denied me surgery (this is on the NHS) saying that polyps go away on their own after time, but a second opinion told me they are usually permanent. I'm confused?
Although it is often benign (not cancerous) sometimes, rarely, they are:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&list_uids=1198769&cmd=Retrieve&indexed=google

I would keep getting it checked to see if it changes, which could be a sign of cancer.  Perhaps keeping a journal of digital pictures of it could help you monitor it over time.