Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Possible ear damage from unprotected MRI (without earplugs).?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hello, Two Days ago (on 17 of July 2010) I had an MRI for my shoulder. Unfortunately I did it without earplugs. It was about 25 minutes of very loud noice. The sound was vey annoying but I didn't feel ear pain. After the MRI exam everything sounded muffled for a while (about 10 minutes). Now two days after, I think that my ears are more sensitive in louder sounds and I hear much louder sounds like aircondition, cars, etc. I'm a afraid If I have a permanent problem like hyperacusis!!!! Please, could you tell me, is there a possibility like this? In the past I didn't have any ear problems! Was my mistake (not to wear ear plugs during the MRI exam) fatal for the safety and health of my ears!? What do you advice me? Thank you so much!
I had an MRI for brain surgery.  It lasted for 2 hours.  Half way thru they gave me ear plugs that didn't fit properly.  Now I have ringing in my ears and reduced  hearing in my left ear.  Of course the medical community thinks that I am  wrong.