Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Possible sinus fungal infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Possible sinus fungal infection?

In August I was put on On Amox, and Augm.For post op hyst infection, then hospitalized for a week on Clinda,and Gent. Found out, no infection. Ends up, my estrogen dose was too high and it was drying my whole body out. So I start backing off on the dose so I can come off of it. Fast foreward to Oct, suddenly having issues with balance and not seeing right. See MD, puts me on Amox and Flonase, much worse by next week, went to see ENT. Sticks a camera up nose and tells me he sees nothing but a lot of tissue swelling.(Whole inside of my head) Got a CT scan which showed only tissues swelling. By following week, much worse, seeing gray, get brain MRI and see Neuro, everything fine. Started steroids, astylline spray and another round of Amox, finally start having some yellow drainage, told to stay on nose spray. Fast foreward to Feb, only slightly better after 5 rounds of steroids and 2 amox and 14 of Ceftin. See second ENT, another CT scan, shows nothing. I ask if it could be fungal due to all the antibiotics and he said that if I wanted to use a fungal nose spray that he would order it, so I got Nasacort/Sporanax mailed to me, but afraid to use it since no one has cultered and he didnt tell me how long to use it. Will see  Washingon University Professor tomorrow for yet a 3rd opinion. Could I have a fungal infection without any symptoms except noticable orbital swelling and the feeling of  severe swelling inside my Head? And with clear CT scans? The swelling seemed to get much better  when my doctor gave me Diflucan for vaginal yeast.    
let me know what they say..email me at ***@**** i'd like to know how they tested you for the fungal infection in your nose/sinus cause i might have the same problem
Well, went to see the Washington university professer. He took one look at both my CT scans and said there is absolutly nothing wrong with my sinus cavity. It looks perfect. So I went to see the Dentist. He did a whole x ray panel of all my teeth and guess what? they are perfect. He has referred my to an oral surgeon that I will see on Wed. I am told he can do a Panaramic view of my face. Meanwhile, in the past to days, the lymph node in the back of the right side of my neck that is swollen and killing me. Under my eyes, and down my cheeks are really swollen. And now I feel like I have that "froggy feeling " in my throat and mouth again. Ive had this before when I was on that Ceftin  for so long but I thought it was the taste of the Ceftin. And now I remember that the doctor gave me Diflucan and everything even the swelling in most of my face cleared up for a couple of weeks and now its all starting all over again. So I guess I will get on the phone with my Primary again tomorrow and see what he says.
Keep pursuing it - sounds suspicious to me!
A fungle infection is usually visible on a CT scan, and unless severe is treated with steroids.  Not sure what the problem is, but I have one suggestion.  I suffer from bruxism, as well as chronic sinus infections, and it can be hard to tell the difference.  Bruxism is unconscious teeth grinding or jaw clenching.  At times the entire side of my face swells up and feels like there is a lot of pressure. I was once misdiagnosed with an inner ear infection due to the swelling in my jaw.  I'm not sure if the dentist checked for this or not but it is a thought.
Antibiotics increase fungus growth (if that is your problem).  Often times fungal infections cause dizzyness and the symptoms you described.  The spray you recieved is not a dangerous product in my opinion.  I used it.  Fungal infections can be tricky and they are not always seen on CT scans, especially if they are systemic.  Systemic are the worse because they can affect any and every organ in your body.  You can also try an antifungal diet- avoid sugars and yeasts, add salts, mucus expectorants, Allicin and GSE.  A sinus rinse of sodium bicarbonate can help too.  Fungus does not like salts of any kind.

If you get this please respond with how you are doing.
I have this thick coating of yellowy green mouldy stuff lining the inside of my nose. i started with what i thought was prickly heat on my hands (very red, hot, itchy and bumpy which was worse at night) about 2 wks later the skin on my hands started peeling off and it was so sore because the skin layer was so thin. friend said it was fungal infection, she's seen it before so i started using a hydrocortisone and clotrimazole cream for my hands which helped nearly straight away - improvement within 24 hrs - then i got what felt like a cold/flu - glands are swollen on one side and i've got this mouldy stuff in my nose - any idea what the hell it is?
i read that mould/fungus doesnt like salt so i've been salt bathing (snorting it lol) brings relief but isnt really a cure. any other suggestions?