Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Post Nasal Drip and Tooth Sensitivity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Post Nasal Drip and Tooth Sensitivity

I have had sensitivity in a tooth for many years - nothing extreme. X-rays revealed nothing. I have also had post-nasal drip for 5 years. I have sought advice from 4 different dentists. My most recent one found hair-line cracks in the tooth and has used an inlay/partial cap. This has stopped the pain when chewing, but the tooth is still very sensitive to cold (not to hot). I feel a constant background discomfort in the tooth (nothing that requires painkillers). However, my sinus problem/post-nasal drip has got worse - I  use sinus rinses constantly, but nothing stops the drainage, and I have to cough it up constantly during the day (which triggers my asthma).

I don't know where to turn next... I have a feeling that this tooth still isn't quite right... and is it connected to the post-nasal drip?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lynne
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

I certainly think seeing an ENT is a good idea.  Infected tooth roots from the upper teeth can go inside the maxillary sinus and cause sinusitis.  The post nasal drip could be due to this. You might need a CT of the sinuses for more information. However, if you do have an infected tooth, you will still need to have this addressed as dental infections can be potentially life-threatening.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.