Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Post Tonsilectomy Concern-Hole

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Post Tonsilectomy Concern-Hole

My 6 year old daughter just had a tonsilectomy and adnoidectomy 19 days ago. We went for our post-op appt. last week and the DR. said all looked good at that time. The rest of the scabs have fallen off and now I see an actual hole in the skin in the back of her throat where the tonsil used to be. There was a scab in that location last week but it appears that when the scab fell off there is an actual hole there. I am very concerned at I am wondering if this is normal and if it will eventually fill in or will she be left with this hole and why it is there. My concern is if it is a permanant thing thing won't food continue to get stuck there and we will be back to complaining about the throat all the time?? I have a call in to the ENT but looking for any other insight. Thanks!
What did you find out about the hole? Is it dangerous? I appear to have something similar going on after my tonsillectomy too.
Hi!
Apparently a hole is normal after the scabs fall off and the bigger the tonsil the bigger the hole. My daughter's has now almost completely healed up and filled and she is 5 weeks post-op. The nurse told me that it was normal and that it should fill in and sure enough it has. Looks like she has a little way to go but it is looking much better now. They said you are still healing for 6-8 weeks so not to worry and when you go in for the last post-op they can check it out then. I was really shocked when I saw this hole and was really freaking out because I couldn't find much about this anywhere else. So thought I would pass on the info. I found!
Hey, thank you SOOO much. I've been trying to find out more about this, (I'm out of town and can't see my ENT for another three weeks) but haven't had any luck. Nobody ever follows up on here and it's been difficult finding out answers to these questions I have.
Thanks!!!!
Hi! About the hole after your daughters tonsillectomy, have you found anything else out? I am recovering from a SECOND surgery due to a big home that food has gotten caught in for a year and a half since my tonsillectomy. Docs have never seen this or performed this second surgery. It seems this second surgery failed as I see lots of food still getting caught. PLEASE RESPOND if you can. I want to hear from someone that may have insight or has gone trough this. It's so frustrating! Thank u! Mel
I'm on day 11 of my tonsillectomy recovery, I'm a 24yr old female and I was FREAKING out when I saw that I had a hole the size of a cm that I could see through to the back of my throat after my scabs began falling off. I called my dr and he too said it was normal and nothing to worry about. I felt like he brushed me off kinda. The only reason I was concerned is because the hole has gotten bigger, not smaller! Glad to see others have experienced this though because I had a hard time finding any info on it. I found another article that said this can sometimes be a complication but does not usually cause any problems or require any further medical attention. Whew! I was worried! I'm eating noodles and soup and so far no pain and no problems. Hope this helps!
Did your hole every close up?  If you can kindly let me know that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi empega I also got my tonsils out a year and a half ago and still have a big hole on one side of my throat where the tonsils use to be! My throat is always sore and food gets stuck in the hole and I have really bad breath/taste in my mouth. Did you get any answers?
Sorry my question was to mray123
So I had my tonsillectomy in july 2013 and its been 6 months. I had my tonsils removed and was let home that evening where i suffered from bleeding from the wound, bit scary but went straight back to the hospital as they kept me in overnight until the bleeding had in their eyes stopped. The reason it was bleeding was because it got infected, anyway I left the hospital again but I was still spitting out blood frequently not as much though. I visited the doctor because I needed to get some antibiotics because the infection hadn't fully gone so i done that and eventually after 2 weeks it started healing. Although in the mean time I had been getting really bad ear pain and can hear myself swallow really loud, when I look down my throat I can see the holes which were called pockets, so i went back to ENT where they told me it was dentist problems. I knew it wasn't so i went to the dentist where she said my teeth were fine, the doctors even said my throat hadn't healed properly. About two weeks ago I went back to ent where the doctor has agreed it hasn't healed properly and the only thing to do is to have another operation to stitch the open pockets up. Finally something is getting done so don't give up on them, if you don't think something right then its probably not, good luck  
So I had my tonsillectomy in july 2013 and its been 6 months. I had my tonsils removed and was let home that evening where i suffered from bleeding from the wound, bit scary but went straight back to the hospital as they kept me in overnight until the bleeding had in their eyes stopped. The reason it was bleeding was because it got infected, anyway I left the hospital again but I was still spitting out blood frequently not as much though. I visited the doctor because I needed to get some antibiotics because the infection hadnt fully gone so i done that and eventually after 2 weeks it started healing. Although in the mean time I had been getting really bad ear pain and can hear myself swallow really loud, when I look down my throat I can see the holes which were called pockets, so i went back to ent where they told me it was dentist problems. I knew it wasnt so i went to the dentist where she said my teeth were fine, the doctors even said my throat hadnt healed properly. About two weeks ago I went back to ent where the doctor has agreed it hasnt healed properly and the only thing to do is to have another operation to stitch the open pockets up. Finally something is getting done so dont give up on them, if you dont think something right then its probably not, good luck