Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Post myringotomy surgery and tube installation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I had myringotomy surgery and a tube installed to help relieve 4 months of clogged up ear and hearing of thuds and roaring noises. Now, 12 hours after surgery, my problem seems worse. More noise, ear feels more clogged than before surgery. Has anyone have had the same discouraging results? how long does it take to get better?

Thanks,
Danitza
Oh HUGS!!!  I just went through a very similar situation.

I had a tube put in one ear because the ENT couldn't decide what to do with me.  My symptoms indicated that tubes were needed, but the testing indicated that they weren't.  So after months of ringing, pain, noises, pain he suggested putting a tube in one ear so that if I did suffer some hearing loss it would only be in one ear.  

I loved it for the first 48 hours, then I caught a bug and things were worse than before in both ears.  I thought I had made a huge mistake.  Sometimes the ear with the tube was far worse than the other ear.  My bug took about 2 weeks to clear out, and I am again loving my tube.  I do have a very low hum/his from the tube, but that is a minimal nuisance compared to what I had before it was put in.  

That is not the case with everyone though.  My ENT said that he takes out about half the tubes he puts in  for adults because of increased noises and other symptoms they can cause.  I would recommend that you call your ENT and talk to him/her about it and see what they say.  You could have a bug like I did since you are still feeling clogged.  

I hope you find a solution to your problem