Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Post sinus infection symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Post sinus infection symptoms?

Hello everyone, after catching a cold in early January that led to a severe sinus infection, I went to a GP and then to an ENT after the gp's antibiotic and cough syrup didn't work. The ENT gave me clarithromycin 500mg (10 day) and methylprednisolone 4mg (6day) which has helped I believe get rid of the infection. During the treatment I also used a neti pot once in the morning for three days after reading how it helps and also because I was desperate for relief. Now after over a month and finishing all my medications about a week ago, two symptoms still seem to remain. I still have pressure like feeling in the back of my head and in front of my head that give headaches especially when I wake up in the morning and at night, The pressure in front of my head does not allow me to focus and the pressure in the back of my head seems to pulsate. The other symptom that still remained is feeling wobbly, off balance and unsteady when I walk around, talk, chew my food or even sometimes when I sit still I can feel my head rocking back and forth. I am still not myself. How do I get rid of these symptoms? When will these symptoms go away if ever? Thank You.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain in the head could be due to sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and sometimes a post nasal drip. It could also be due to tooth infections, impacted tooth or skin infections. The others are migrainous headaches and those caused due to brain disorders, disorders of the eyes , neck or ears to name a few. To find a cure you need to consult your primary care physician for proper assessment. In the meantime take OTC naproxen for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
After a CT scan of the sinus apparently I don't have no evidence for acute or chronic sinusitis. However, I have a deviated septum towards the right side and I also noticed it said on the paper bilateral concha bullosa, what ever that means. My ENT told me just drink plenty of fluids and hopefully my symptoms get better when the warm weather comes around. It is March, it has been almost a month since the ENT visit and the symptoms still seem to remain (pressure in front of my head at the bridge of the nose between the eyes, pressure in back of head, and the unsteady feeling/heavy head). I have to clear my throat here and there; I believe that is post nasal drip. I will look into what you have mentioned above and I appreciate the time you took to read and respond to my question. Thank You.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptom of dizziness could sometimes be due to postural hypotension, a condition in which the peripheral arteries dilate, leading to pooling of blood in the peripheries. This in effect causes decreased circulation of blood resulting in dizziness/lightheadedness. This is more pronounced if the person stands up from a lying down position. This is detected by recording the blood pressure recordings in the sitting, standing and lying down positions. If the variations in blood pressure recordings are more than 10 mmHg, it is diagnosed as postural hypotension/Orthostatic Hypotension. So, have yourself evaluated for this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.