Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Post tonsillectomy throat infections

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Post tonsillectomy throat infections

Okay so I had bad chronic tonsillitis, which was worse on my left side and I had a tonsillectomy in December 2005. In early September 2006 the left side of my throat blew up and there were white puss bubbles behind the little wall where my left tonsil was, so I figured this was not normal and I went to my ENT. He said it was infected and that it was "very strange" and he prescribed ceftin. The swelling had gone down a little and a few weeks later it flared up again and then i had bad laryngitis on top of that, so I went back. He then told me he thought it was acid reflux and not an infection. So he put me on Nexium, and a week later I started coughing badly so I went to my primary care physician. He said my throat was infected (meanwhile i wasn't complaining about my throat, i was there for coughing)and I had fluid in my ears. He prescribed Augmentin and a week and a half later I had a fever and Bronchitis. I called my primary physician and was switched to Zithromax. I was in the hospital for my bronchitis on wednesday..2 days ago while still on Zithromax, the next day I woke up with the left side of my throat swollen worse than it has ever been. I called my ENT and he told me to finish the Z-pack and if it gets worse over this weekend to call him. So now here I am, with bronchitis and a throat infection, peaked and weak, and I lost 10 lbs from not eating much. Do you think perhaps he didnt get all of the infectious tissue during the tonsillectomy?? Is this the root of all my problems?? Or should I start getting blood tests to check my immune system? sorry its so long
Have you actually had a throat culture done to see what may be causing the infection?  My impression considering the antibiotics used is that it's actually a viral or fungal infection which those drugs wouldn't work for.
Do you have any swollen nodes or have you had a chest x-ray?
good luck.
sorry, and yes i have a swollen gland on the left side of my neck that really hurts
I had a chest x-ray when i went to the hospital on wednesday to check for pneumonia.. idont have pneumonia and they probably would have said if they saw something else there right? everyone keeps telling me how pale I am.. my temp is steady at 99. I'll ask my ENT to culture it on monday. I noticed this morning that there seems to be kind of a blister on the wall that covered my left tonsil. very strange
I'm sure a lot of this does seem strange.  To me, it seems a bit like mono which was why I asked if they had checked to see if it was viral.  A CBC is never a bad idea to check your red and white blood cells because it can definitely give a clue as to whether you have an infection or if you're pale and weak due to something like anemia.  

Hope your visit today went well.
Have him view your lingual tonsils.
i have had the same problem for 2 years, taken my tonsils out and still i have throat disconfort that they call infection.  If you find a cure, let me know on 07903663171.  

i need a doctor that has the cure, i am prepared to travel anywhere.

linda
I just had my tonsils out on the 19th. Never saw my surgeon that day. I am not sure if I am taking care of it right or not. Please tell me what to look out for. I am losing my mind. Was not given any instructions or anything!!!
I had my tonsils out 12yrs ago and every year or two I get a bad infection just like a quinsy (peritonsillar abscess). I've been admitted to hospital twice for IV antibiotics and I know the infection is like an abscess as it bursts. However no-one seems to want to do anything about it. It totally paralyses me for a week. The pain is intolerable. Even when I've not got an infection I can taste teh infection at the back of my throat and can cough little bits of pus from my tonsil root. (yuk -sorry)
gil
I had my tonsils out 5 years ago after about 4 years of recurring tonsillitus. A month after having them out I had a severe infection again where my tonsils used to be. Since then, I get these recurring infections every 90 days almost to the day. I have seen 2 ENT specialists and a million doctors. All of them try different antibiotics, but there is no solution. I would desperately love a solution and would travel anywhere to find one. I hate the antibiotics and I know that it is a temporary solution that will eventually kill my immune system. I want to live a long life but am worried as it has been almost 10 years of serious infections every 3 months. It is very difficult to keep a job or achieve anything that requires full attendance!
Any help would be soooo great.
Thanks.
hii i too had the same problem for around 6-7yrs and removed my tonsils abt 7 mths back...but i had taken a weeks antibiotics after my tonsils were out..also after some time i started taking multivitamin tablets.i should say that improved a lot..whenver i get slight pain in m throat i ake GSKs Becadexamine..and i hope tht is improving my immune system a lot..and somhow keeping from further infections..also i do warm water +salt gargling whn i feel slight pain..i guess it can wrk for u too...
Hi. I removed my tonsils quite recently - 30th of September this year. Since then, I've been sick and in pain every now and then. Tonight, my throat hurts like hell! I read about throat cancer and I got concerned. Tomorrow I'm calling a doctor! I hope they can help me. I hate being in so much pain! I miss so much of my school work when I'm home and in pain all day long.... :/

So, look up cancer, people. I show three out of six-seven signs. Not much, but still. Search for "throat cancer" or something. Good luck!
Removed my tonsils in Aug 2007, every since i get these recurring throat infections which is not really bad at all but it turns in cold and then cough and here i am down for a week. I dont use antibuiotics and these happen only in winters( i live in chicago). Quitting soda, sugar and gargalling in the night has made it a little better. In short my throat has got super sensitive especially in winters. Any suggestion is appreciated.

thanks
I had my tonsils out in 2009 and have had about ten episodes if severe sore throats since. When u get these sore throats I'm convinced the infection gets into my lymph glands as the whole of my back aches as well as my neck swelling and aching and the glands under my arms and between my legs also swell and are very very painful. I can't even attempt to swallow so don't eat at all except for taking the usual antibiotics I'm prescribed.

Whilst I do agree that having my tonsils out has drastically reduced the number of infections I get per year, I still get them to the point where I can't even get out of bed! I'll go from shivering, feeling freezing and feeling like there's a million needles digging into my skin to being scorching hot, dripping with sweat and my heart racing.

The only differences in not having my tonsils are that the pain in my throat when swallowing isn't as sharp and it doesn't take as long to get rid of the infection.

It's still absolutely horrendous, gargling with aspirin and dosing up on paracetamol ease it the tiniest bit but nothing else helps.

Does anyone actually know what this could be? My doctor just says its a throat infection but won't do throat cultures and says there are no further surgical procedures to help me :(
Maybe you should find someone that will drain it?
Linda,
I have the same problem as you. Discomfort after two years of tonsillectomy. Have you found anything that helped yet?
Linda,