Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Post tonsillectomy troubles...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Post tonsillectomy troubles...

I had a tonsillectomy 11 days ago, it was painful but I have found that over the last three days I have what feels like small cuts/tears in the back sides of my throat. It hurts more than the day after surgery makes it extremely painful to drink anything or eat anything and even to talk. I can see a tiny blister looking sore on the left side where my tonsil used to be. The tissue connected to my tongue is also blood red and very veiny, what could this be from? I was feeling better until this happened now it seems like I will never be completely healed. HELP!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The blister and the congestion could be due to an infection. You may need antibiotics to tackle the infection. Consult your doctor for an evaluation. In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for the response, I was beginning to feel like no one knew an answer, and no one could relate..I went to my follow up and my doctor told me I was one of the few unlucky people who heal slower than normal and also the small blisters were actually spots of granulated skin. Glad to say that the blisters are gone and I no longer have any pain! :) (Luckily there was no infection what so ever) I am however sick with the flu that my daughter gladly passed on to me. When they say you are more prone to sickness after having a tonsillectomy they mean it! I haven't been sick in years, and let me say after having surgery and the finally feeling better to only be struck with an illness is not fun at all.. I cannot wait for this flu to pass so I can get back to being the normal happy healthy person I am(was)..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Good to see you are recovering well. Understand your concern. But its difficult to avoid viruses as over time they adapt, that means they develop new strains to fight the medications and immune mechanisms to survive. Besides it depends on one’s immunity also. If it is good the person may not develop the infection and even if he develops it may be mild. If the immunity is relatively less then he is likely to easily contact the infection and may have more symptoms. The best bet would be improving one’s immunity. You can do this by consuming plenty of fruits and vegetables, eating a well-balanced diet, maintaining an ideal body weight, exercising regularly and by leading a stress free life. Hope this helped.