Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pressure and squeaking in ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pressure and squeaking in ears

I have had issues with my ears for about 5 months now.  I do have allergies (hay fever, mold, pollen, animal dander).  I had fluid in my ear, pressure, and it squeaked when I swallowed or yawned.  I went to the doctor, that told me to take decongestants.  I took decongestants such as pseudoephedrine, Allegra-D, Claritin-D, etc, for months, but they didn't help.  I was given two different types of steroids (pill and nasal spray) that got rid of the fluid, but not the pressure or squeaking.

I went to an ENT who said that there is nothing visibly wrong with my ears (no inflammation, no wax, etc).  She sent me to an audiologist that said the pressure in my ears and my hearing are both fine.  However, I still feel the pressure and the squeaking, plus mild pain.

I do have TMJ, but I wear a night guard nightly and do not chew gum.  Does anyone have any input they could provide?  Anything would be appreciated!!
Sometimes dairy sensitivity causes ear symptoms, so you could try stopping dairy.  I think mint tea is also used for ear trouble.  Google uses for mint, ears, or something like that.  
I am so glad to finally read a post that matches my situation. For over a year now, I've had this building pressure in my sinuses. By the middle of the day, I can't hear, and am forced to clear my ears as if on a plane. This causes short-lived relief followed by a very loud squeaking noise audible rooms away. Sometimes the squeaking continues for hours, slowly releasing air from my sinuses. My ears are always itchy - my left nostril is usually swollen. I've been to several GPs, but it's so hard to get an appointment with an ENT where I live. Nobody really knows what it is, and as a result, I've completed three courses of antifungals and four courses of antibiotics. I had my wisdom teeth removed because one had its roots near my left sinus, but the extraction made no change.

If you do solve the mystery, I'd really like to know your diagnosis!