Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pressure in head, neck, dizziness, etc.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pressure in head, neck, dizziness, etc.

I had had this foggy feeling, slight dizziness, pressure in my frontal sinuses. I have had a CT of the brain, shows normal. I had a CT of the sinuses and it showed cists in my frontal sinuses. I went to an ENT and he stated that they are normal and nothing needed to be done for them. I also am experiencing pressure in my neck. I had an X-Ray of my neck done and they stated that they noticed spasms but that was it. So now, I am going to Neurologist next week to see what he can find. I have had chronic allergies all my life but nothing like this, I have never felt like this in my life. Sometimes I feel like I am going to pass out. This is crazy, I am 30 years old and should be living my life to the fullest with my family but I can’t because of this. I wish I could find out what is wrong so I could move on in my life. Any suggestions?
Tags: head, Neck
I have all those same symptoms...   and after I have had a ct scan of neck, xray of chest, a tube down my nostril  -- I am now wondering if it isn't just something really weird with sinuses...  i have no allergies...  that i know of... i'm 43.  

I should mention that on May 30th I had a sonogram for different symptoms that were directed at thryoid.... then a biopsy...  all good...  However, we are convinced that they may just be two different issues after all those tests and coincidental they are occuring after thryoid symptoms...  

just last week i started with the above symptoms...
I have searched and searched for this problem on the internet and it seems as though no one has a solution to this problem but there are so many people with the same symptoms. I had a MRI last Friday, I am waiting for the results. From reading other forums everyone else has had the same tests with all results coming back normal. To date I have had the following tests:

CT (of head) = Normal
CT (of sinuses) = Normal
Blood Work = Normal
Physical = Normal
360 X-Ray of Neck = Normal (with signs of a mussel spasm)
MRI = Waiting for results

The next test to be set is a spinal tap. I also noticed that many of the people that have had the same issues either have had the problem for years or they have posted the problems and have not followed up. I wish I could find someone with a solid solution or cause for this so I could tell my doctors to head them in the right direction.
Is it specific to one side of your neck?  Could it be a saliva gland and not a nasal passage?  It could be a salivary gland stone.  If it seems like it comes and goes, gets worse when you do something that could cause you to get dehydrated (drinking lots of caffeine, not drinking enough fluid, drinking alcohol) - it might be a salivary gland stone.  You will feel "clogged/swollen" on one side of your neck near the jaw - it can feel like an ear infection at times.  The reason it gets worse when you get dehydrated is your saliva thickens and a small non-obstructing stone that doesn't cause problems under normal circumstances could cause the gland to get backed up when the thicker fluid tries to pass around it.  Good luck!
I received my results from my MRI and they are thinking that they see a tumor in the pituitary gland area. I need to go in and have further imaging of the pituitary gland area to determine for sure that is what they are seeing. I have read lots on the internet about this tumor and it appears this might be the cause.

Not sure what the next step is after the MRI.
Hey there, I, too have had ongoing symptoms which are still undiagnosed, unsteadiness, pressure and sometimes headache over eyes, top of head, feeling tired.  Had MRI of head, blood tests, etc.

Did your blood tests show anything?  Let me know what happens...bw.eb
I have the same symptoms..dizziness, presure in my head over the eyes, cant focuse sometimes..I went to my doctor and he first said I had ear infection..gave me med. but didn't help..went back to doc.. he then said I had fluid buildup..took med for that..still nothing..he then sent me to an ent doc. they did a ear test on me and it wasn't good..my left ear was really bad and my right ear was better but not that good..all my problems are coming from my left ear..I first noticed it when I was outside in the heat and came home and sat in front of the air cond.I turned my neck to the left and had a pain from my shoulder up to the back of my neck..thats when I noticed I had this ringing in my ear that drove me crazy..my ENT diagnosed the problem as "BENIGN POSITION VERTIGO" gave me a excercise to do..said it would make the dizziness go away 75% efective..laying my head over the edge of the bed and then slightly turning my head to the left at a 45 degree angle..I got really dizzy.. this is suppose to set my crystals back to where they are suppose to be..you cant turn to the left for 48 hours..no sleeping on your left side for 3 days..it's hard not to do I know..but it did seem to help some..I also had an MRI done and I am still waiting on the results..this is so crazy to see all these people on here with the same symptoms..I feel 4 u all..it drives me insane....presure in my head all the time and feeling I can't walk a straight line..can't even work right now..I hope someone finds a cure or something that will help..my bills can't get paid if I don't work..thanks for listening...and good luck to everyone...
My symptoms are very similar. the pressure in the neck neck cracks alot my head feels weird all the time ,my right ear constantly rings. I get tired after a few hours of office work. I have had two ear surgerys for infection. And know I have had chest cavity pain for going on two months.I am 36 and hope someone can tell me whats going on.
All blood tests have come back normal, had some more blood work done and are waiting for those results. In addition I just had a second MRI specifically for them to look at the pituitary gland and now we are waiting for those results as well. If the results from this second MRI come back with the cyst not causing my problems, then the doctor will order a spinal tap to be done.
I am a 40 yr old female who underwent sinus surgery.  The first surgery was in 2001, which was a success.  No more infections.  In 2002, my ex hit my face, causing major trauma.  Pain was unbearable and was hospitalized numerous times-doctors unsure what was wrong with me.  I had a stone in the submandibular gland which needed to be removed.  Diagnosed with costo chondritis-inflamation of the chest wall-doctor ordered mobic-works great!  Because of meds, diagnosed with acid reflux-currently on nexium-works great!  As per the sinus, discomfort, dizziness and major pressure.  Ct's come back clear-unbelievable considering pain and pressure exist.  I've tried a herbal remedy called Bromelain (make sure you check with doctor, some herbal products can cause severe affects).  If you look it up on the website, exactly under that name, you will find that it helps with most of symptoms mentioned.  I've only started taking it within the last two days, will give better feedback two weeks from now.  When I lye down on my left/right side of face, burning shoots to head.  Symptoms are so annoying.  Trying to seek as much info from others with same symptoms.  Willing to try anything new.
I too would like to know what they find out. I have had the very same symptoms for almost a year now. driving is the worst for me. I have to take the freeway everyday to get to work. The fast I go, the worse my light headedness gets. My ears pop and my neck pops. Yawning then becomes a huge problem.
Currently 47, and for the past 10 years I have been having cerival issues and it also is causing problems with my sinuses. I had a cervical disc replacement 3 years ago for 2 buldging discs where they used instrumentation and cadaver bone to fuse the cervical spine. (lower back was done the same 2 years prior to the neck). Now I have extreme dizziness and have been diagnosed with "facet syndrome". Very painful to move neck back and forth up and down. Very loud crepitus when moved in a certain way. Almost liking a popping sound. Louder than rice krispies. :) When I go into large stores (WalMart) etc., i get even more dizzy I have to speak to people head on because If i turn my neck for a long periods of time, i get bad neck pain and dizzier if there is such a thing. I took prednisone recently and it made me feel like a new man for a week (for the duration of the cycle of meds) then after the taper off, it came back with a  vengence. Recently had a facet injection with steroid. This also worked well for about 3 days then it came back. All the steroids stopped my sinus symptoms but they did come back after the drug wore off. CT to come this next month. Can't drive too far anymore, have to have someone drive me to the Doctor. Also, I notice when my neck pain get worse, my eyesite get worse too. Just a side note. I will report my findings if anyone cares. :) I am getting close to wits end here. Being dizzy for 3 years is no fun. Not even Blonde.
Wow...I've had the same symptoms, off and on for about 2 years now.  I've been through all the tests.
Cardiologist did an ultrasound of my heart, nothing abnormal.  My doc did a full blood panel, nothing out of the ordinary.  He thought I had an underactive thyroid.   I wore a heart monitor for 24 hours so he could see what my heart was doing when I got dizzy.  Normal.  I recently had an MRI of my head and it was normal.  
Are any of you taking ibuprofen?  I have a feeling that's what is causing all these symptoms.  I took 2 on Sunday evening, then I took 2 yesterday because of the pressure in my head and sinuses.  I immediately felt worse and felt crappy all day.  Last night I decided to take extra-strength Tylenol instead and I felt pretty good this morning.  In fact, I've felt progressively better as the day's gone on.
I googled "ibuprofen side effects" and all my symptoms were there.  I'm not taking anymore in the next few days so I can see how I'm feeling.  I'll keep you posted.
i also am suffering for 27 years with tightness in my head and stiff neck.i also got all the tests.the only thing they found was a small bone in my neck that should not be there,but my doctor said alot of people have this????
Posting ibuprofen side effects:

Side effects

Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.

Disturbances of the gut such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, indigestion or abdominal pain

Bleeding from the stomach or intestine

Stomach or duodenal ulcer

Retention of water in the body tissues (fluid retention), resulting in swelling (oedema)

Headache

Dizziness

Depression

Confusion

Drowsiness

Balance disorders involving the inner ear (vertigo)

Sensation of ringing or other noise in the ears (tinnitus)

Visual disturbances

Abnormal reaction of the skin to light, usually a rash (photosensitivity)

Allergic reactions such as severe skin rashes, swelling of the lips, tongue and throat (angioedema) or narrowing of the airways (bronchospasm)

Kidney, liver or blood disorders

The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.

For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
I received a spinal tap and they found that my CSF pressure is high. From what they tell me the CSF pressure should be between 150 and 200, mine is at 220. They said it could be caused by a virus in the fluid or by a tumor. The two MRIs that I have had have come back negative for a brain tumor. They did notice the pituitary cyst, but they think that it is not causing any of these problems. The doctor also mentioned that sometimes people just get high CSF pressure sort of like high blood pressure and it can be treated with medication.
So, what kind of treatment will you receive for something like that?

I'm happy to report that my symptoms have pretty much disappeared since I stopped taking ibuprofen.  Unbelievable!

Hope you feel better soon!
Sorry, that all of you feel or felt the way I do.

It's been a week since I started having dizzy spells and nausea. My health has been great up until now. I am a male, 40 years old of average height and weight. I don’t smoke and drink alcohol; NOT often.

This past Thursday, August 29, at about 3:15am I awoke to really bad nausea, spinning, dizziness and left ear pressure. I also had to vomit.

As I, would get up from kneeling in front of the toilet and turn left, I would have to vomit again and again; I had myself vomit for about 1 hour and 1/2 Thursday and Saturday Mourning. I kept drinking plenty of water after I vomit and through days to avoid dehydration. I have also lost about three or four pounds since I was not able to keep the food down.

It's been a week as I write this; haven't had to vomit since Sunday; however I am still dizzy, nauseated and worried it won't go away. I would have gone to hospital emergency room last Thursday; however, I have no health insurance. This is pathetic, I was making a good living a year ago and had health insurance, but now I find myself unemployed and without health insurance to get medical attention I need.

I really think the stress of NOT having a job has affected me physically and emotionally. Furthermore, it’s hard for me to sleep at night possibly affecting me neurologically.

After reading several health journals; what I find is that this issue is really common with people who suffer from high stress, depression, allergies; like acute sinitus or people who have the herpes simplex virus. The article states that the herpes simplex virus affects our middle-ear area; possibly causing these issues.

I was told to take (Antivert) by a doctor friend to help with the nausea and dizziness symptoms. Until, I am able to see an Otolaryngology specialist (Ear, Nose and Throat) doctor.

Here's wishing all of you the Best!

John
I had problems this summer...I have a left deverated septum. I started with problems 3 weeks ago first week loss of hearing in the right ear. Then a week later severe pressure toward the back of my head. Had cracking in my ears...think thats a clue on what I have...doctors said with pressure test and hearing test I was good but I feel worse by the day some days better than others. I'm thinking about getting a scan done, but then again trying to ride it out. It sucks, because i'm a musician and when I sing I can only hear my singing out my left ear. The pressure is on and off...I do salt sinus rinse and nothing. I look muscus relief pills and nothing. I'm gradually feeling better than week 2 of this less cracking of the ear.  Will my hearing return to normal soon or later? Breatheing steam is good for this I believe as well. I need allgery shots every 3 weeks as well. I try heating pads on my neck and head as well to see if it works better. Any advice,  being that i'm 21...? Need to find a solution to this...

Advice please? thanks
My pressure has yet to let up. I have tried everything I can think of and still I feel this way. Currently I have pressure in my neck as if it was stiff. Pressure in my head seems to be causing a "buzzed" feeling as if I was drinking alcohol drinks but I don't. Not sure where to go now, the spinal tap came back fine other than the CSF pressure was a little high. Any suggestions?
And you're not taking any medications that could be causing side effects?  Those sound like my symptoms which were caused by ibuprofen.

Good luck...I hope you find some answers soon!
Do any of you also have anxiety? I have had anxiety for about 3 years and have had these symptoms ever since the anxiety, wonder If they may be related?
I have poping of the sliva glans (glands) what would cause this?
I had the same problems and I am only 25! I found the answer ZYRTEC-D. It is over the counter but it is behind the pharmacy counter and you have to ask for it by name. My symptoms were as follows for 8 weeks.
Dizzy on and off, cracking in ear, extreme pressure in head and ears, terrible neck pain, tired, pressure worse at night, anxiety, nervous to leave the house for fear of passing out.

The following tests were ran:
MRI - normal
CT sinus- normal
Blood test - normal
Allergy test - no allergies
Tube put in my left ear - no relief
Was put on multiple antibiotics, nasal sprays, and steroids - steriods were the only thing that seemed to help a little.

I cried every night for eight weeks and now I am starting to have relief just after two days of being on Zyrtec-D. I am feeling drainage going through my neck and feel as if I am getting my life back. I would encourage you all to try it as it worked for me. I am not fully back to normal but at least I am not crying anymore. I am hoping that in a few weeks I will be completely fixed. Good luck to all of you, I know how terrible it feels and how scary it is not knowing what is going on. Really try it. I hope it works for you :)
All of you guys symptoms sound like the same I have experienced now for over a year. Went to ENT and he told me OTC nasal spray was my problem. Prescribed Flonase, but my neck problems were still there. Finally searched more, and found out clogged Eustachian Tubes will cause the middle ear to get clogged and infected. Try squeezing nose closed and blowing until you feel your ears get completely stopped up. Then swallow and unstop them. You should feel the need to cough up the congestion. Try using saline to flush it out, but you may need steroids and steroid nasal spray to get fully over it. Hope this helps you guys out, as I have went through misery too long.
Hello Daniel, I feel your pain, but i want to tell you that you cant let these symptoms get you down. I have these same symptoms for over 20 years  and no diagnosis. I was about 29 when my symptoms started and I am 53 years ol now, I went to ENT, CT scan done and no tumor. I suffer from  seasonal allergy and not sure if its related. I feel like i get intermittent hearing loss but when i did hearing test it is normal. I have pain in the left ear, neck and shoulder, dizziness and fogginess and somtimes feel like I am going to pass out.  I am now thinking that  for me it may be psycological, because if I  get a little depressed and dont keep busy my  symptoms worsen. I am going to see a neuroligist and see if they may have a solution to the problem. Warm compress and Flonase seem to help me somtimes when my left nostril feels clogged.  Exersise and keep busyalso help.
I just had a spinal tap and yeah, I too have pressure in my ears and mostly stays and gets me down.  I can hear yet I had gotten dehydrated after the spinal tap 3 days alter that landed me in the hospital and this all came on the never ending ear pressure it appears. Also, as I have all year round allergies my nose is always clogged and I think that too has brought it on.  Not happy and no answers it appears as well before this I did see 3 ents.  SO out of work and no real Life as of yet besides problems
i have a similar problem blurred vision, head pressure it feels like im climbing in elevation my ears start popping i get dizzy and sometimes a panic attack happens and i end up in the er. but they have no answers for me. i also feel like im going to pass out. its weird no matter how much allergy medicine i take my allergy's don't go away they've been active all last year and so far this year without a break in them. i feel terrible all the time and know body will help figure out what is wrong.
I have been suffering from these symptoms for years. It affects every aspect of life. As I write now I am super dizzy. I have dizziness, facial pressure, strange headaches, the headaches shift sides, ears crackle. My md has given me pain killer for years and they relieve the symptoms are there everyday. it drives me insane and gives me depression. I finally read about chronic sinusitis and identified with all symptoms. I went to the ent and he said I have sinusitis on one side and that surgery would relieve the facial pressure, but to talk about the crackling ears and headaches to my md. And I have and all he gives me are pain killers. I don't know what to do. I am desperate. It makes me want to die feeling like this everyday and nobody understands. I am getting a second opinion from a renowned ent and alos going to an ear specialist. My last resource will be a neurologist, since mu symptoms also co inside with neuralgia. And yes, I've tried antibiotics, saline flushes, flounase and nothing. Desperate in Miami.
i was recently dx with lyme disease. i have recurrent sinus infections, vertigo, numbness and pressure through neck and head, tingly hands and feet, brain fog, floating head feeling, list goes on. insane symptoms.

i am doing long term antibiotics. *****, caught it late, cuz there was no rash, so docs were baffled.

hope you can all get tested, although even testing is very inaccurate for lyme. horrible disease, with little research.

best of luck to all
Normal pressure hydrocephalus, can cause these symptoms. I take diamox and the daily pressure went away but i have breakthru symptoms sometimes.
Also, vestibular injury is a dx often missed.
Allergies are a sign of an immune system problem. Have an immune panel done. And have viral titers measured.
See an immunologist for testing.
If u have ongoing active everyday viruses due to low functioning immune system, there are some common viruses that can cause inflammation to the vestibular system, causing dizziness.
Head trauma can also cause vestibular injury and notmal pressure hydrocephalus.
Also, vascular issues. If veins are not draining fluid properly, a back up of fluids can occur and cause these symptoms.
An FMRI will show poor vein perfusion.
Hi Frank...hope your feeling better!!! I have all your symptoms.  Lately the pressure in my head won't go away.  My neck hurts so I'm thinking the headaches might be f rom my posture.  I have sinus pressure and ringing in my left ear and now my right ear is being affected too.  I'm getting allergy shots for a year and a half now and that hasn't helped. I tried all the rinses, steroid sprays, allergy and sinus meds and nothing really helps. Just wanted you to know that your not alone in your misery.  Hope one of us can find a solution and post it.  
5 years i have had your symptoms, plus only what i can describe as someone trying to strangle me alot of pressure just under jawline on both sides, yet most of pain is on right. Constant ear infections that smell and have discharge, head has burning patches that tend to be on the right side . A scans came back normal, please post your results, so need help.