Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Problem with Speaking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Problem with Speaking

I am 24 yr old male weighing 75kgs. I am in desparate need of help. I have had a problem for the past couple of years which is slowly eating away my life. I used to be an amazing speaker and very outgoing, but now have a problem with speaking.

This happens as soon as I have eaten or drunk something. I start salivating for hours after eating and my throat constricts and I feel a lump in my throat which I need to keep clearing. And then I have this compulsive urge to keep swallowing which just doesnt let me speak more than a sentence. Some food types which typically cause this are bread products and sweet dishes.

This makes me look like a moron in front of people when I cant even answer a basic question like what is your name. This has caused my social life to come crashing down. I hardly venture out of my home or speak to new people. I started taking anti-depressent and anti-anxiety medications to stay out of depression and am afraid if things dont change I might become addicted to illegal drugs to stay afloat in life.
I don't think this is a problem with your voice box.  This sounds more like an esophageal problem and your voice box is an innocent bystander.  There are ways to diagnose this, but you will need to see a Gastroenterologist to do it.  I would encourage you to go that route rather than covering it up with withdrawing socially and taking those medications.
Thanks very much.

I went to an ENT specialist who told me point blank that it was a mental problem. I know for a fact its not a mental problem.

I searched online and all indication lead to some kind of acid reaction in the stomach area which could be causing this problem.
If so, that was an inappropriate response to your problem.  I think you and I are in agreement on the likely source.