Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pull down on ear.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pull down on ear.

My right ear is weak. That is until i pull down on it. It seems to open up my hearing ALOT. If i push up on it, my hearing is greatly muffled.
What's wrong with me?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Why do you do that? You should try and stop meddling. Sometimes if the Eustachian tubes are blocked, they may open up with the maneuvers you do. There are tubes called ‘Eustachian tubes’ which connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. This tube can get blocked due to infections of the throat, which can give lead to a feeling of fullness in the ears. This can also result in infection of the ears. The blocked ears can be opened up by the valsalva maneuver, where air is blown into the cheeks against a closed nostrils, this sometimes helps to open up the tubes. Steam inhalations and warm salt water gargles can help clear the tube. Please consult your family physician.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi doctor. I never knew there was a name to the valsalva maneuver. I used to do it all the time.

But this seems to be a problem external to the eustachian tubes.
Long story short, there is a tendon/ligament that starts near inner bump on the clavicle and ends up behind the ear. On the affected side, that tendon is weak/stretched.

I will visit a doctor regarding this issue soon. But is it possible that the Eustachian tubes are not blocked, but rather collapsed as a result insufficient support.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The eustachian tubes are normally collapsed. And they open up when the air passes through. If it a problem with neck muscles, its unlikely that the middle ear will be affected. Decongestants, antihistamines, or a steroid nasal spray help to open up the tubes. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
You're great! I really appreciate your help. I'll be seeing a doctor as soon as possible.

The neck issue is just a theory.

When i was younger, i remember my general physician stuck a stick deep into my right ear and it hurt. Could that have damaged my tube?

Also I used Debrox (carbamide Peroxide 6.5%) ear drops a while back. I used it three days in a row and stopped. When i used it, it felt like my tube were completely blocked.

I think i might try the earwax remover again.
Would you suggest using the valsalva technique(or pull down on my ear) while the solution is in my ear as well as when i'm rinsing it out?

Should i be using the valsalva technique often?

Is it earwax that's blocking my tube?