Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pulmicort respule using a Neilmed irrigator

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

My doctor prescribed Pulmicort Respules and gave me a Neilmed irrigator to apply the dose.  Do I fill the Neilmed with water and pour the respule in the water and mix, and then apply?   Or do I just put one respule in the irrigator and irrigate without diluting?   There are no directions...I'm guessing that I dilute the solution but does that impact efficacy?
You need to add the Pulmicort Respules to your normal rinse kit, which includes the water and salt packet. I actually use two respules in each rinse that I do (up to three times a day at times).

So yes, definitely dilute. It does not impact efficacy, that is how you're supposed to irrigate with Pulmacort.

Best of luck!

Ashley
I am using the same thing and I am using one respule per bottle and rinsing twice a day.  I'm also on singulair, zyrtec, patanase, and a steroid nose inhaler.  I wonder if I used more of the pulmicort if I could cut down on some of the other meds??

Is anyone else taking all of these meds??
Sounds like you also have a lot of allergies (or possibly asthma?) that also contribute to your sinus concerns.

I take singulair, nasonex, allegra, and also use the pulmacort in my rinse as well, so I know how you feel. You have to remember that each medication has a specific purpose.

Pulmacort is used to reduce inflammation...a key part in reducing the number of sinus infections that you incur. If the sinuses are unable to drain because things are too swollen, and there's bacteria trapped in there: bingo, infection.

Singular and Zyrtec are two types of allergy medications that are used to target different things in your body that cause allergic response. When you have an abundance of rhinitis (drainage) in your nose/sinuses, they become inflammed, things get trapped, repeat cycle. If you have allergies, it is very important to keep them under control in order to prevent sinus infections and assist with maintaining healthy sinuses. They can also help prevent polyps from forming (as polyps are a form of allergic response).

Steroid nasal inhalers assist with a number of things as well. They reduce inflammation, they can reduce the symptoms of allergies, they open the airways and act as vasoconstrictors in your nose to allow for easier drainage, and can also be effective in fighting polyps as well.

Patanase is another form of an allergy medication that assists in managing allergic rhinitis, the symptoms, etc.

So, you can see that there is a reason that you take all of the medication that you do. Especially for sinus concerns. I know it stinks to have to take so much medication...I feel the same way...but its much easier, and healthier, than having to constantly deal with sinus infections and worse.

Best of luck!
Ashley
I am suppose to use one ampule in my bottle of 240 ml.  But I have seen where it is recommended to use one ampule per 100 ml.  Is my dose too weak.  Should I be using 2 ampules per 240 ml bottle?  I have not been able to use nasal steroids...give me sores in nose.  So now use lavage.