Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pulsing ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pulsing ears

I can hear my pulse in my right ear all of the time.  In my left ear, I will have three really loud pulsing feelings - 2 right after each other and then a pause before one more.  Sometimes, I will hear a pulse in my left ear that seems to travel to my right ear.  This is causing a lot of stress and anxiety for me.  Any ideas would be SO appreciated.
With the heart beat in one ear, that would be easily diagnosed (right or wrong), but the uneven pulsing in the other ear?

When things are very quiet, most of the time it's in the early morning/late night in the bathroom.  Living in a tinny village it does get very quiet at night. Anyhow, at those times while sitting on the "throne" I can hear my heart beat in one ear because of a rare syndrome.  With this I can also hear an odd beating and I have to listen closely because it sounds so much like my heart that it gets a bit scary believing my heart is doing things it's not supposed to be doing.  I eventually wake up enough to realize it's the tinny movements of my eye ball, (part of the "syndrome").  Could this be what you are hearing?  Move your eye back and forth relatively rapidly.  If that's not it, listen to it carefully to see if it may be something else unrelated to the heart and/or ear.
I also have the pulsing in my right ear.  I have been to doc had an MRI and hearing test.  Blood pressure is relatively stable.  I can push on my vein in my neck and it pauses it.  It beats at all times of the day and more with exercise or bending over.  I wish I could figure it out.
I'd assume that if you push on the vain in your neck long enough you wont have to worry about the pulsing ear any longer ;-)

Being able to shut down the artery doesn't sound natural.  I could be wrong but I do have to question if this is the carotid artery you are talking about or something entirely different?
I guess it would be the carotid artery.  I have had blood work and the thyroid checked and it checked out ok.
If it is the artery I'd suggest not shutting it down.  I'm stumped to what it could be because I've never heard of the heart beat in one ear and something completely different in the other.
Bablen5, did you ever figure this out?