Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Pus from PE tube

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Pus from PE tube

Hi my soon to be 4 year old son had PE tubes placed in Oct. 2009, he has been infection free until this 3 days ago. I took him to his ENT who determined he had pus around the left ear tube, and gave me ciprodex to treat it with. This treatment was agonizing for my son, he screamed in pain, and cried at the anticipation of having to have more drops put in. But I followed the doctors orders. Now he has spiked a fever of 101.5, and is still complaining of ear pain, even the left side of his face hurts to touch it. Should he be getting worse before he gets better, or should I worry that the infection is getting worse?
He shouldn't be getting THAT worse.  As far as the drops go, some kids simply don't like them (for no particular reason).  Others will do better with an ophthalmic preparation that your doctor can prescribe.

I would bring him back in for another check.