Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Raw throat with mucus and bleeding on roof of mouth...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ok so I've had a continuously sore throat that has come and gone over the last year.  The back end of the roof of my mouth is what tends to hurt the most, especially in the morning right after I wake up.  There's usually an accumulation of mucus and blood and really sticky saliva, almost to the point of making me choke.  Last October (2009), as well as most recently this past January (2010), I was rushed to the hospital with symptoms including a sore throat, body aches, and a high fever that wouldn't go down.  They did blood work, an mri and 2 catscans.  They tested me for everything including Meningitis (they did a lumbar puncture/spinal tap on me), Gonorrhea Chlamydia (swabbed my throat and blood tests, and the tests came out negative for those things.  However, they did find what they called a rare bacteria called "Group B streptococcus."  They said they found a large accumulation of the bacteria in my throat region.  They told me I may have gotten it from an animal, possibly a dog.  They treated me with Penicillin and I was better.  They also told me I have Sinusitis and that though the bacteria may be cured in my throat after completing treatment with the antibiotics, the Streptococcus may remain dormant in my sinuses and could return to my throat.  The doctors said I needed to see an ear, nose, and throat specialist, but unfortunately like many, I cannot afford health insurance right now.  As of about a month ago, my sore throat came back, and its gotten worst.  There's more and more mucus, blood, and sticky saliva on the roof of my mouth every day.  It doesn't seem to go away.  Whats causing all this?  What should I do?  I don't want to get a fever again and sick and end up back in the hospital.  Please help.
that really sounds bad. But unfortunetly you do have to be seen by a specialist. They will determine the right therapy for you. Also if you wait longer you might be back at the hospital and get worse. Plus hospital are more expensive. Why wait for that. Your health is important. Must go soon to see a specialist. b/c the bacteria/infection is dormat and you won't be able to get rid of it with regular over the counter meds.
Sorry. I know this is not that much help......  good luck
Thanks so much for your response.  Its still pretty pricey to go to the specialist.  I shopped around and its about $400.  I can't even afford that.  But I completely understand what you're saying.  Hopefully I get this figured out soon.  My throats hurting as I'm typing this.  I just wish it would go away. Thanks again.
So it turns out its post nasal drip.  Antibiotics and possibly surgery depending on how bad it is.  Lets hope the antibiotics work.