Really painful in my throat?
for the past 2 days, my throat has been really hurting on the bottom of the neck. where you feel the indentation or little hole. the pain come and goes and i drink lots of warm water. i gargle with salt water but the pain always comes back. im not sure if its a strep throat or a sore throat because i dont have any of the symptoms but its hard for me to get it checked out because i dont have health insurance and i dont know if it will cost money to get it tested. why is there pain at the bottom of my throat? also, when i look back there, the tonsils seems normal. its not inflamed or anything. but i heard it can be thyroiditis. it has the symptoms that i have but i dont have any of the other ones like swollen lymph nodes.
im worried, should i wait for a few more days to see if it gets worse? im afraid its something serious and i need to go to the doctor asap. the bottom of my throat on in the inside hurts so much
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Is there any swelling of the thyroid gland? If there is thyroiditis, usually the gland is enlarged and there is pain on palpating the gland. As you have symptoms of pain on swallowing, the pain is more likely to be due to a throat infection, most probably streptococcal or a viral infection. Strep sore throat needs to be treated with an antibiotic as strep is a bacteria. Viral sore throat is best treated with rest, warm oral fluids and (OTC) Tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain. If you develop a fever, or if there is enlargement of the tonsils with pain or if there is white coating on the tonsils, you will need to consult your primary care physician for a strep test, which if positive you will be given antibiotics.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
hi there, thanks for replying! and no, i dont have any swelling in my neck so its pretty weird. and I dont see any white coating on my tonsils. the only symptom i have is bad pain inside my throat on the bottom, right above my collar bone. also, two nights ago, I woke up and I was sweating a little bit so I was afraid I had a fever but things are back to normal
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sometimes GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), where the acid contents of the stomach came up into the esophagus can cause this irritation and pain with swallowing. This is treated with antacids. So, if you do not have symptoms of a throat infection now, you can take OTC antacids and try life style measures. Take frequent small meals. Eat dinner about two hours before sleeping. Elevate the head end of the bed. Keep a food diary and note down what aggravates your symptoms and avoid them. Ensure to maintain optimum weight by regular exercise. Avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications NSAID's, quit smoking, eliminate alcohol and reduce stress levels. These measures need to be practiced long term for results. Hope this helps!!