Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Reason for undesired bleeding?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Reason for undesired bleeding?

I am now 81 years old.  I have used a cpap machine for approximately 10 years, with no KNOWN difficulties.  For the last two to four years, intermittently, but for periods that might last for up to a few weeks, and especially when I brush my teeth, and clear the residue from my mouth, including sucking out that remaining in the the upper part of my neck, I often expel bright red blood with the toothpaste residue.  
If I attempt to bring up phlegm from my throat, and spit it out, it will generally NOT have any evidence of blood in it.  I am not now, nor have I been in any discomfort, other than mental, because of the situation.  I have been to an ENT person in Michigan, and again in Florida, but neither found any reason for the appearance of the blood.  I am considering asking my Michigan doctor to refer me to the University of Michigan for a thorough work-up.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Spitting up blood could be due to local injury to the gums. It could also be due to an infection a sinus infection or a lung infection. Sometimes trauma to the lungs can cause this or it could just be throat irritation. But with these conditions you should have additional symptoms like throat irritation or breathlessness or cough. You can consult a dentist to see if there are any local causes in the mouth which are causing the bleeding.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.