Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Recovery After laryngoscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Recovery After laryngoscopy

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have recently undergone surgery to remove laryngeal papilloma from my vocal cords.

It’s been almost 6 weeks since my operation and I’m still suffering from chronic hoarseness and loss of voice. I went for a checkup with my ENT Specialist a week or two ago and he told me that I’d need a further four weeks to get back to normal and that I should limit speaking etc. My vocal cords were still swollen.

I work for a sales and marketing company, so whilst I can limit speaking to a degree, I can’t do it to any great extent.

Has anyone here had any experience with issues like mine?

I could really do with some advice, as I'm surprised I'm not back to normal by now.

D
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As suggested by your doctor, it may take a few more weeks for the post op inflammation and swelling to subside. Anti inflammatory medications may help to reduce the swelling.  For this you can take OTC medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi there. Thanks for that. As it happens I just went and saw my ENT specialist for a checkup and he told me that he didn't remove all of the papilloma during the last operation.

This is where the conversation got interesting. He informed me that it's standard practice NOT to remove all the Papilloma from both vocal cords as they "stick together" and the patient won't be able to talk.

Now, he didn't tell me this when he operated on me (I assumed he got ALL of it!). So I feel a distinct lack of trust now from his end. But worse, what that sounds like to me is, I'll never get rid of this problem because one vocal cord will always have Papilloma on it.

Is this right? Is this normal? Is there anyone out there who can verify this because it just doesn't sound right to me.

Hope to hear back from you, Doc.

Regards

Darren
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. There is no reliable cure for papillomas. Surgery is the mainstay of treatment and no matter how complete the excision, regrowth of papillomas is usually the rule. Because surgery does not cure papillomatosis, functional considerations, like voice quality, remain relevant in the operating room. Sometimes an aggressive resection can irreversibly compromises voice. So, based on the size and extent of the papilloma therapy is planned. So, don't worry and discuss with your doctor, he will be able to guide you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.