Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Recurring Post-Nasal Drip symptoms for over a year...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I posted a thread here about 7 months ago stating my symptoms of what I thought was originally GERD. I subsequently diagnosed myself with Pericoronitis along with the help of my dentist. I then had the problem wisdom tooth removed.

It's now been well over a month and my mouth has been healing extremely quickly. Honestly I was quite surprised, my dentist did a wonderful job.

However the symptoms are far from over.. I was expecting a heavy decrease in discharge in my throat that requires me to spit constantly and also causes heavy gagging, coughing and a constant need to clear my throat. This was not the case at all however, to be honest I've seen a 0% improvement in clearing up these symptoms. The mucus seems to be 75% discharge that is from my nose and 25% saliva. It's yellow/brown in colour, sticky and extremely thick.

I keep an extremely high level of oral hygiene and I think I have a higher level of vitamin intake than most. I brush twice a day, floss and use mouthwash. I have also swapped to using a toothpaste that has no acid in it. As I have heard that it can help. (The stuff that creates foam/bubbles in your mouth, I forgot the name).

The need to constantly clear my throat, or spit is made far worse by drinking anything or doing any sort of exercise that requires me to hyperventilate. Biking, running or even swimming for example. Ingestion of any sort of 'fizzy' fluids e.g. any softdrinks etc. causes an extreme reaction... So in the past year I've drunk nothing really except for water and milk.. Milk is another thing that causes horrible problems... even juice is almost out of the question.

If anyone is going through the same thing please don't hesitate to share your thoughts and please don't hesitate to share your cures.. I will do anything to fix this annoying problem.. I've had this for over a year now, I honestly though that clearing up Pericoronitis would fix the issue but it hasn't done anything at all...

Thanks to anyone for listening to my story :(
  • Phlegm (1 replies):
    I always have a feeling of phlegm in my throat and to sw...[more]
I also forgot to mention that I have absolutely no allergies and I have not been taking and am not taking any sort of medication what-so-ever.
I think you need to stop the milk and restrict all other dairy products (this does not include eggs).  

That should decrease the amount of mucus a lot.  Then I'd use a saline flush (like a Neti pot) in your sinuses.  Follow the directions, using distilled or boiled water, and adding the sodium packet to measured water, and get the water temp right.  
You could have an infection in your maxillary sinuses, which is not unusual for any sort of dental infection, but only a doctor can diagnose that.  A Neilmed Sinus Rinse is very effective for maxillary sinus infections, but not infections of the upper sinuses.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If there is a sinus infection it can progress to a throat infection as well. The inflamed throat can cause phlegm production and bleeding on spitting.  Consult your primary care physician who will do blood tests, take X rays and take a throat swab to determine the cause and prescribe appropriate antibiotics. Steam inhalations and salt water gargles can help. Take (OTC) tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen if there is pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.